Penelope clone question about wick size...

Status
Not open for further replies.

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
I got the penelope clone. I bought some of that ceramic wick from rba supplies. It's 3mm, It's too big. I spent literally 4-6hrs trying to make my own coil for then device. On the coil i make, it gets "bulky" at the junction of the non resistance wire and resistance wire. I can't close the device. The wick is also too thick.

So I guess my question is, "What size wick do i need for the device?" Also, "what gauge wire?" I have been using 28 gauge. I also have some 32 gauge resistance wire(don't have non resistance wire in this gauge). I only have non resistance wire in 28 gauge.

Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
I looked back through Todd's archive of videos to see what he did to set things up and he's using 3mm as well, it just has to be crammed in there tightly before you clip it and screw things together, but it didn't look like he had any issues getting it in there. As far as wire, it really depends on your build. What kind of coil are you building? 28g Kanthal is better for lower ohms down into sub-ohms while 32g is better for higher ohms ranging from 1.5 - 2.4.

Video Link:

GG Penelope - setting up - YouTube

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
I looked back through Todd's archive of videos to see what he did to set things up and he's using 3mm as well, it just has to be crammed in there tightly before you clip it and screw things together, but it didn't look like he had any issues getting it in there. As far as wire, it really depends on your build. What kind of coil are you building? 28g Kanthal is better for lower ohms down into sub-ohms while 32g is better for higher ohms ranging from 1.5 - 2.4.

Video Link:

GG Penelope - setting up - YouTube

Thanks, I always vape around 1.2-1.5ohms. I want to use a micro coil. I am wondering if it's okay to use a 28 gauge non rsistance wire with a 32 gauge resistance wire, do you know if that's okay? You're giving me hope that I can build this today..

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
On my penelope I use 30 gauge Resistance and Nonresistance wire, comes out to about 1.4 to 1.5 ohms. I use 3.5 mm silica wick, but I trim of 3 strands right at the housing edge on both sides. This way there is only about 2 mm wick in the channels, seems to fit and wick better this way. I do the same on my odysseus as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread