The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Good mod or not?

Discussion in 'APV and Mods Discussion' started by Chrisborro, Jan 26, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Chrisborro

Chrisborro New Member

Jan 26, 2018
    I am currently using an endura T20 and was wanting to get a better mod. I have been looking at Smok Priv One AIO Starter Kit and was wondering if it was a good mod to jump to. The one I am using now is just 13w. I have tried 60w mods and like the ease of the draw on them. Anyone have any thoughts?

2. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I think if you like fixed wattage setups and you like vaping at around 60 watts, this could be an inexpensive option for you. There are more complicated setups that will be more adjustable, but since you started out with fixed wattage and liked it fine, I see no reason not to try that setup if it appeals to you. There is more flexibility with variable wattage mods, but if you don't need that, you don't.

Best of luck deciding.

Anna

3. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    upload_2018-1-26_14-25-35.jpeg

SMOK products are somewhat controversial on this forum. Some of us are more vocal than others. It's not my personal mission or purpose to put SMOK down, but I am entitled to my opinions and express them. My anti-SMOK bias is based upon my personal and reading experience.

I've owned a couple of SMOK products myself. When I worked in a vape shop in 2014, our stores sold them among other brands. We could expect about 1/3 of the SMOK mods to have some type of issue. My son bought one without consulting me first, and within 6 months it just stopped working. To my memory, The SMOK Groove was the only mod (the entire line) that was recalled because it was so poorly designed that it became a fire hazzard.

There have been a few (still too many IMHO) threads on this forum recently and in the past of quality control issues concerning SMOK mods. I'm not going to waste my time looking for them and posting them here. Do your own homework.

There will be others along shortly to counter my opinion with their own, and I'm fine with that. They had good experiences with theirs. I'll just say that it's your money to spend as you wish; if you get one I hope you're one of the lucky ones.

"We make cheap. You buy cheap. It break? You buy another."

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Beamslider

Beamslider Ultra Member Verified Member

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    You are going to need 18650 batteries for that kit. Just get a more flexible mod and you will be better off in the long run.

That limits you into mostly smok products as it is designed for use with their tanks and coils. Not saying it is bad. But it is limited more than other mods and tanks out there in the price range

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    If you can test one out first, I might suggest that. It is certainly true that a box mod is more flexible.

Fixed wattage setups can be somewhat hard to mix and max different tanks. If you love it, great, but if you don't it is certainly true that it will be harder to find another suitable tank. So if there's any way to physically get your hands on one, I would try that. Even if you've vaped 60 watts, that's not necessarily a guarantee that you will love both the mod and the tank.

I've never owned a smok product so can't comment on their quality, but I will comment that for probably not that much more, you could get a more flexible setup. With one reliable box mod you can experiment with a lot of tanks. With that also said, if you don't dislike the idea going in and are prepared that it may not be fantastic for you well, then you have that going for the kit. Usually though, by the time sub0hming 60 watts on one battery, well, the battery life may not be that fantastic.

I've had one stick mod that was fixed, and it was an Aspire tube. I didn't much care for it, honestly, although I was still dual using at the time, so that may have colored my perceptions, and I LIKE Aspire products.

Anna

• Like Like x 1
  6. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    What factors are you looking for in a "better mod"?

I would think you'd want a variable power (variable wattage) mod so that you can adjust your vapor (more power/less power; more vapor/less vapor; warmer vape/cooler vape) on the fly via output regulation. The Smok Priv One AIO output is limited to just one setting ... it's not adjustable.

It has one tank built into the mod. What if that tank doesn't suit your style or you don't care for the coils? You'll have no option to try a different tank or coil on your new mod ... it will become a paperweight.

That's just two cons that I can see immediately with the Priv AIO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.