Good starter apv with removable battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimV30

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2014
Lincoln Nebraska
I am relatively new to vaping. I currently have a mvp 2 and love it. I love the vape production and long battery life. It is not very pocket friendly and with summer coming, I can no longer shove it in my coat.

What is a good starter apv with removable batteries. I like the itaste 134 and 134 mini. What othet options are out there. Don't say provari, as it is just out of my price range. I am looking at getting into rebuildables as well, but am not looking for a mech mod quite yet.

What do you think would fit the bill for me?

CBCstillmatic

Verified Member
Jan 2, 2014
United States
Depending on what tank you use, If you like box mods can look into a VTR. It's pretty heavy but with the tank recessed in the side instead of sitting up top, you may find it more "pocket friendly". Even though it's pretty heavy it's like sliding a pack of cigs in your pocket and the protective ring will keep the tank sturdy and protect the 510 connection.

Otherwise you can look into something like an SVD or Vamo that you can use 18350 batteries with. If you like the 134 then look at the cool fire 2. It's also pretty short and is vw like the 134.

It's all pretty subjective though as to what length or heft you would consider pocket friendly. My guess is the VTR would be something your looking for since most other mods will be just as long with a tank as the MVP is.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

GPC2012

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Reedley Ca
I have an SVD on the way, but am considering getting a iTaste VV 3.0 - Variable Wattage Device for using when I'm out in the yard smaller, easier to carry and will slip into side pocket on cargo shorts without feeling like I'm carrying a hammer around. lol
The only thing is it doesn't have a removable battery, but as a spare I don't really need it to. Everything I've handled with removable batteries seem heavy and chunky, even the mini's with the 18350's.

Last edited:

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
There are not a lot of units that are more pocket friendly that use removable batteries.

Sigelei's/Vamo's/SVD's and others are actually "longer" than an MVP.

You can get some of these that are telescoping or have mini configurations that use an 18350, but your battery life is severely curtailed and you will need to carry spare batteries with you if you are going to be out an about more than a couple of hours.

The Coolfire I by Innokin is an 8.5 Watt regulated 18350 mod that looks pretty nice. It is regulated, so you won't get the voltage lag over the battery discharge profile like you would with a non-regulated battery or mechanical mod. But it's limited to 8.5 watts period. The Coolfire II is variable wattage, but looks like a grenade.

Another route is a mechanical with a Kick II. This provides wattage regulation, but the smallest format you will get with a kick is an 18350 with a kick which is the size equivalent to an 18500 battery.

Choices, choices....but before you look see what the minimum battery life you are interested in and move from there.

I personally like the VV3. It is much smaller and pocketable. It has the same capabilities of the MVP just lower capacity. It charges off USB just like the VV3. In fact some MVP2 users use the MVP2 to "charge" their VV3. So they keep their MVP2 in the car or purse and charge the VV3 off of it, and then when they leave the car, they have a fully charged VV3. (A fully charged MVP2 should be able to fully charge a VV3 at least twice and closer to 3 times....)

You should really determine what your minimum battery life is, then you can determine which "battery size" will fit those requirements in and then tailor your purchase around those devices.

Last edited:

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
The surefire I by Innokin is an 8.5 Watt regulated 18350 mod that looks pretty nice. It is regulated, so you won't get the voltage lag over the battery discharge profile like you would with a non-regulated battery or mechanical mod. But it's limited to 8.5 watts period. The Surefire II is variable wattage, but looks like a grenade.
Should I assume you meant Cool Fire? ;)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I am relatively new to vaping. I currently have a mvp 2 and love it. I love the vape production and long battery life. It is not very pocket friendly and with summer coming, I can no longer shove it in my coat.

What is a good starter apv with removable batteries. I like the itaste 134 and 134 mini. What othet options are out there. Don't say provari, as it is just out of my price range. I am looking at getting into rebuildables as well, but am not looking for a mech mod quite yet.

What do you think would fit the bill for me?

options
vamo
sigelei zmax
smokteck zmax, SID
innokin SVD, VTR, 134, 134 mini
joyetech evic
tesla
provari, provari mini

lavatube
vaproshark dna

e-ltc

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
options
vamo
sigelei zmax
smokteck zmax, SID
innokin SVD, VTR, 134, 134 mini
joyetech evic
tesla
provari, provari mini

lavatube
vaproshark dna

e-ltc

Nice list, but how many of these are more "pocket friendly" than the MVP which is the main reason the OP is asking the question?

All of these mod's are taller than an MVP in 18650 mode with the exception of the VTR, and it is bigger than the MVP in every way.

Even the vv3 is taller but is narrower. (more along the ego stick level of thin)

None of the 18xxx devices are particularly "pocket friendly" due to the girth of the 18xxx series battery.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
^yeah, even though they might be smaller width wise, a tube mod is kinda annoying in a pocket..I wear my pants baggy though..thug life. A regulated 18350 mod is taller than mvp.

If I got the vtr, I'd cut the tank ring out. I wouldn't want to be stuck with 19mm tanks... or that stupid extension to have larger atomizers fit.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Not that I know of, unless you are looking at an Ego or similar stick battery that uses a LiPo pouch battery.

The provape 1 uses a 14500 battery, but that is a non-regulated mod. So it has the same voltage lag as any other battery. Plus the Provape 1 is a pretty expensive "entry level" battery and it's not that much smaller than a ProVari.

Here is a size comparison picture of the ProVari (left) ProVape 1 (middle) and small Ego-T (right)

233789d1374457908-buying-provari-need-help-please-provape-size-comp.jpg

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Are there any mods that use a battery the size of a double a battety?

What is a double battery?

For a small size regulated tube I think the options would be
provari mini
134 mini
vamo in mini mode.

310514d1393552002-vamo-short-mode-img_20140227_213655.jpg

Here's my vamo3 in mini mode. Note the tube that was at the bottom for the long battery can fit on top and protect your tank.

In mini mode, you use an 18350 (18mm x 35mm) battery instead of an 18650 (18mm x 65mm) battery.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
What is a double battery?.

He meant AA (double a) battery. There are no mods that I know of that use an actual AA cell because they are only 1.25 V cells, so you would need at least 3 cells to get 3.75 volts and 4 cells to get 5 volts.

The 14500 is one of the narrowest 4.2 volt cells.

Yes, 18350 is the smallest of the 18xxx series of batteries, but they still have the girth of the other mods, and the 18350's have terrible battery life 4 to 6 hours at best.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I find tube mod APVs to be eminently pocket-friendly. I've had a couple.

I'm currently using the Sigelei Zmax V3, a telescopic tube mod. The diameter is 23mm or .90". The length varies with the length of the battery used. Here are the lengths with different batteries.

18350 (750mAh): 100mm or 3.9"
18490(1100mAh): 111-114mm or 4.4"
18500(1100mAh): 112-115mm or 4.4"
18650(2000mAh): 127-130mm or 5.0"

The Sigelei V3 fits in my front jeans pocket in the 18350 or 18500 battery modes including a fairly substantial 5ml XL carto tank and drip tip on top. I use 18500 most often. I vape 2.5ml per day and two 18500s get me through a day. An 18650 will last me all day but I leave them for use at home.

Here it is with 18500 installed.

044.jpg

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Are there any mods that use a battery the size of a double a battety?

Not that I know of, unless you are looking at an Ego or similar stick battery that uses a LiPo pouch battery.

The provape 1 uses a 14500 battery, but that is a non-regulated mod. So it has the same voltage lag as any other battery. Plus the Provape 1 is a pretty expensive "entry level" battery and it's not that much smaller than a ProVari.

Here is a size comparison picture of the ProVari (left) ProVape 1 (middle) and small Ego-T (right)

View attachment 314010
Like p.opus said, the ProVape-1 uses a 14500 battery, which is almost the same size as an AA battery (in some flashlights they can be used interchangeably) there are also some mechanical mods that use the 14500 battery.

It's not a popular size, outside of the eGo style non-removable batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread