Got older and simpler this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
I don’t know if it’s my age, laziness, or my journey along Vape Road that’s done it, but I have to say I’ve got simpler this year since my return to the UK.

How so?

Well when I first started vaping, in my enthusiasm for this “Magic Bullet” which had enabled me to stop smoking yet not experience cravings, I did quite a bit of experimenting both with kit ( such as boutique mods, squonk boxes, RDAs etc ) but even more so with the mechanics of producing neat micro coils and “perfect” wicks … but actually found that I was really quite happy with a Nautilus Mini Tank loaded with 16 -18 strength liquid fired by an iStick 30w. And there things remained for several years until the winter just gone.

Having written off three atomisers in Spain and ending up reliant on an old style Vivi Nova for three weeks I again began to look for bomb proof backups so revisited Squonking and Dripping.

On the Squonking side I dug out my Terminator El Cheapo Mech and my Little Origen RBA, coiling and wicking it oh so carefully, and my efforts were rewarded with instant success. So much so that on a recent trip to the Scottish Islands that and some spare batteries and liquid was all that I took along.

Bearing in mind this Forum’s sage advice about backups, after that I acquired a Mark 1 Pico Squeeze outfit and liked it so much that I ordered a pack of 20 spare bottles for it from fasttech which cost buttons and actually arrived very quickly.

Thinking about how I’d arrive off a plane though, gasping for a vape and once through Immigration and Passport Control would struggle to open a child proof bottle of liquid while undoing a bottom filled attie, reassembling the thing and firing it up while trundling a case and making sure my documents were safely stored, with but two hands to work with when I could have done with four. I looked for an easier solution, decided a good Dripper would be the answer for a quick easy hit and bought a solid heavyweight outfit, viz a vaping Outlaws Enforcer … and from the outset was amazed at the increase in favour and vape production this thing produced, with even a 1 Ohm coil, over a tank.

After seeking advice here about wicking, but having been impressed, much to my surprise, with how the Vivi Nova’s silica wick had performed, I decided to try it with such a braided silica wick made from three strands of 1mm thread ( having had three daughters I had long ago learned how to braid! ) Success again - so much so that in the house this has become my “go to” outfit this last couple of weeks.

In the passing, using silica and a very small Allen Key for stiffening while winding the coil, I found the easiest thing to make was a spaced coil rather than an immaculate micro coil, and again at 1 Ohm it has done the job and worked a treat.

Yup definitely got older and simpler!

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
my Little Origen RBA
Terrific little atty. Been using them for years. Wicked with rayon, they usually go month or so before needing maintenance.

Thinking about how I’d arrive off a plane though, gasping for a vape and once through Immigration and Passport Control would struggle to open a child proof bottle of liquid while undoing a bottom filled attie,
Why? I've flown with a full squonk mod in my shirt pocket numerous times. No problems at all. If the bottle is full when you take off, there's no air in it to expand when the cabin pressure drops.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Ah - good to know. I've never flown a with squonker before so thought it might be the same as a tank in that respect and I definitely didn't enjoy sitting with a shirt front soaked with Space Jam Eclipse, which is how I discovered what happens to full tanks on planes!
Yep, it's the air that expands. Tanks almost always have some air space in them, even when they're "full", whereas a squonk bottle can be filled to the brim.

That said, most tank won't leak due to lower pressure at altitude either if you keep 'em upside-down.

• Informative
Reactions: Falconeer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread