The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Grand finish question

Discussion in 'Reos Mods' started by bones1274, Oct 19, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. bones1274

bones1274 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 28, 2010
    florida
    First off, avert your eyes if you are sensitive to Reos not being at 100%.....

So two of my six Grands have the powder coat finish instead of anodizing. I think it is powder coat because they do not have the slick feeling of anodizing. Anyways, I attached two pics of them showing what they look like after 6 months of daily use each. My anodized ones look as good as new, even after 3 years of use. Anyone else had these issues with powder coat?

And yes, I am embarrassed for not giving them a bath before the pics. :oops:

reo9.jpg reo10.jpg

2. JC Okie

JC Okie REOnaut Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    WOW! I have several of each (powder coated and anodized) and NONE of mine show any wear.....especially not like that. I wonder what in the world would cause that? Maybe you have some sort of body chemistry that is doing that.....????? I can see your palm print (I think.)

Hmmmmm

A mystery. How long have you had them? Did you get them new?

EDIT: Oops....you said 6 months.

3. redeyedancer

redeyedancer Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Feb 4, 2010
    Maine
    There both anodized its definitely a reaction to something in oils in your skin . I have only seen this one other time .

4. yolo_

yolo_ Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 11, 2013
    Strawberry Fields
    Don't know why they got like that but I would repaint them if they were mine. I love making my Reos look unique...

5. bones1274

Oct 28, 2010
    florida
    Interesting. The blue one was my wife's first one. She has been using her second one for about 6 months and it looks good as new. The black one was my second Grand. Here are pics from my first Grand. Used it daily for over 1 year before I bought the black one so I am wondering why the black and blue ones would react to oils in both of our skin but the other 4 dont?

This red one has almost 3 years of use on it. A little dull but nothing like the first two.

Also, the other 4 have a very slick feeling whereas the black and blue never felt slick and had a tactile feeling to them from day one.

reo11.jpg reo12.jpg

6. redeyedancer

redeyedancer Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Feb 4, 2010
    Maine
    Its not a color thing some people have something in the oil in the skin that reacts to anodize . I have to say its extreamly rare

7. ancient puffer

ancient puffer EX PV Collector Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 8, 2011
    Virginia, USA
    I now have 4 grands and 2 minis. The minis (one black, one silver) only got used for about a month, so they are pristine. Of the first 2 grands I got (one black, one silver), only the black shows that kind of "discoloration". I haven't had the white and silver hammertone long enough to see anything, but it's interesting that ONLY my black grand shows that.

As a side note, I know I have "issues" with my body chemistry, if I can get 2 days out of a new set of guitar strings, I come away amazed. So, maybe not as rare as one would think, I've heard of others that have the same situation, touch it, it tarnishes :(

8. bones1274

Oct 28, 2010
    florida
    So I guess I have the reverse Midas touch then......:laugh:

9. irehc77

irehc77 Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern Michigan
    All my Reo's are pristine. You might want to contact Nerak and get one of her cozies she makes for the Reo's. They are nice feeling in the hand and protect the beautiful finishes on the Reo's!

10. Filthy-Beast

Filthy-Beast Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 14, 2011
    Chicago
    I also wonder how much is from other things we touch and have on our skin. I know I don't wash my hands every time I go to grab the Reo.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

11. ancient puffer

ancient puffer EX PV Collector Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 8, 2011
    Virginia, USA
    BTW, I just ordered a carbon fiber wrap from J Wraps for my well used Grand, might be easier than trying to alter the finish yourself.

I haven't used these before, but I'll post a review after I get/use it.

12. bones1274

Oct 28, 2010
    florida
    Yes definitely post some pics. I may put the black one on the classies down the road for someone looking for a canvass to customize.

13. Crash Moses

Crash Moses Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 30, 2012
    Lansing, Michigan
    'Bout time J-wraps came out with Reo wraps. The mirror finish on my tumbled raw looks great as long as I never use it.

14. irehc77

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern Michigan
    From what I am seeing J Wraps only make the clear wrap for the Reo Grand. Am I correct?

15. irehc77

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern Michigan
    My mistake yes I see the carbon fiber wraps also available for the Grands!

16. irehc77

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern Michigan

So out of curiosity what color did you order?

17. txgtr

txgtr Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 22, 2013
    Texas
    I was going to make this exact anology. A buddy of mine has to change strings on his guitar after every gig. I can go months on the same set (I do actually change them about every 3-4 gigs). So it's a chemistery thing I suppose.

18. azzaman

azzaman Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Time to shine them up and give them a mirror finish.

19. Crash Moses

Crash Moses Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 30, 2012
    Lansing, Michigan
    Textured wraps also. I spoke with the owner at Vape Stock and if you e-mail them they'll provide whatever design you like.

20. pdib

pdib Registered Supplier - Offline ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    This right here is exactly why I always pee on my REOs first thing . . .. fresh out of the box, throw in dirt, and pee on! :|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.