Status
Not open for further replies.

bones1274

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
florida
First off, avert your eyes if you are sensitive to Reos not being at 100%.....

So two of my six Grands have the powder coat finish instead of anodizing. I think it is powder coat because they do not have the slick feeling of anodizing. Anyways, I attached two pics of them showing what they look like after 6 months of daily use each. My anodized ones look as good as new, even after 3 years of use. Anyone else had these issues with powder coat?

And yes, I am embarrassed for not giving them a bath before the pics. :oops:

reo9.jpg reo10.jpg

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
WOW! I have several of each (powder coated and anodized) and NONE of mine show any wear.....especially not like that. I wonder what in the world would cause that? Maybe you have some sort of body chemistry that is doing that.....????? I can see your palm print (I think.)

Hmmmmm

A mystery. How long have you had them? Did you get them new?

EDIT: Oops....you said 6 months.

Last edited:

bones1274

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
florida
There both anodized its definitely a reaction to something in oils in your skin . I have only seen this one other time .

Interesting. The blue one was my wife's first one. She has been using her second one for about 6 months and it looks good as new. The black one was my second Grand. Here are pics from my first Grand. Used it daily for over 1 year before I bought the black one so I am wondering why the black and blue ones would react to oils in both of our skin but the other 4 dont?

This red one has almost 3 years of use on it. A little dull but nothing like the first two.

Also, the other 4 have a very slick feeling whereas the black and blue never felt slick and had a tactile feeling to them from day one.

reo11.jpg reo12.jpg

Last edited:

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
I now have 4 grands and 2 minis. The minis (one black, one silver) only got used for about a month, so they are pristine. Of the first 2 grands I got (one black, one silver), only the black shows that kind of "discoloration". I haven't had the white and silver hammertone long enough to see anything, but it's interesting that ONLY my black grand shows that.

As a side note, I know I have "issues" with my body chemistry, if I can get 2 days out of a new set of guitar strings, I come away amazed. So, maybe not as rare as one would think, I've heard of others that have the same situation, touch it, it tarnishes :(

bones1274

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
florida
BTW, I just ordered a carbon fiber wrap from J Wraps for my well used Grand, might be easier than trying to alter the finish yourself.

I haven't used these before, but I'll post a review after I get/use it.

Yes definitely post some pics. I may put the black one on the classies down the road for someone looking for a canvass to customize.

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
BTW, I just ordered a carbon fiber wrap from J Wraps for my well used Grand, might be easier than trying to alter the finish yourself.

I haven't used these before, but I'll post a review after I get/use it.

'Bout time J-wraps came out with Reo wraps. The mirror finish on my tumbled raw looks great as long as I never use it.

txgtr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2013
Texas
As a side note, I know I have "issues" with my body chemistry, if I can get 2 days out of a new set of guitar strings, I come away amazed. So, maybe not as rare as one would think, I've heard of others that have the same situation, touch it, it tarnishes :(

I was going to make this exact anology. A buddy of mine has to change strings on his guitar after every gig. I can go months on the same set (I do actually change them about every 3-4 gigs). So it's a chemistery thing I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread