OG Reo Mini (14500)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Denver, CO
I got a random PM from someone about 2 weeks ago offering to send me a free mini as long as I continued to PIF.

I received it today and I can't find in my searches the main differences between this 14500 mini and the 2.1 mini aside from the battery size and maybe catch cup size?

It's a ruby red, powder coated I think...could be anodized, not sure.

Anyway, it's gonna have to go off to Rob :(. The battery on Reo is protruding a bit, so the door doesn't slide up easily, whats the easiest way to remove the magnet and fix that? They also for some reason decided to super glue the delrin insert in place, after I pried it out...to my horror was the brass nipple and firing pin coated in super glue, I don't have any 14500 batteries and can't use it anyway, so I ripped it out and again to my horror was a ton of super glue all stuck up in the 510 connection inside the Reo, lol.

The body is in amazing shape for being this old, less dings and scratches then my 1 year old blank wrinkle grand. Aside from picking away at the super glue inside this tiny hole with tweezer, how would you do it?

I'm so happy to have it and was shocked at how mini the mini really is, I...just don't know what I am going to do with it. I can't really vape my preferred way with a 14500 battery, 600mah and low amp limit, no thanks! I am going to clean it up best I can, send it to Rob to be milled down and rebuilt....but what then should I do with it?

Sell it? Trade it? Give it away? Contest? I do have a co-worker that smokes that might be into the idea....

IMG_20140829_171827.jpg IMG_20140829_171909.jpg IMG_20140829_171852.jpg

Last edited:

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Mini 2.1 18490:
=====
Height: 3-1/8" including catch cup
Width: 1-5/8”
Depth: 7/8”
ID of catch cup: ~3/5"
Weight: 4.9 oz fully loaded
Uses 3ml bottle & 1 AW IMR 18490 Battery

Mini 14500:
=====
Height: 3-1/8" including catch cup
Width: 1-1/2"
Depth: 3/4"
ID of Catch Cup: ~33/64"
Weight: 4.2oz fully loaded
Uses 3ml bottle & 1 AW IMR 14500 Battery

Body size and drip well depth are the main differences.

To me it looks like anodized. The anodized finish is very durable. It is not uncommon for a older anodized REO to be in very good shape.

What type of screw held the spring? Hex or Phillips?

Why do you want the drip well to be milled down if you do not intend to keep an use it?

After the trip to Robert you could offer it to someone who really wants a REO but can't afford one right now. If they just paid the charges and postage for the rebuild you could make them really happy!

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Good for you, tmel, for bringing the ol' gal back up to pristine working condition. I'm also wondering whether or not grinding it down to an LP is entirely warranted - she's a classic (it'd be kinda like putting mags on a '67 Studebaker), and it's not like fat chambered dual atties are liable to be in her future :2c:

As for what to do, I think you should take her for a vape when she's back from the spa so that you can say you know the feel of such a beauty and then send her on to someone who'd appreciate her with the solemn promise to PIF him/herself (not a backhanded hint, BTW :)).

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
I agree, I don't think it would need to be milled down really. The RM2 is the best atty for it :).

I'll use it on and off for a few days I suppose and then pass it along...I think it'd be best suited to a newbie/1st reo owner....

That or someone who simply can't wrap coils at all due to a disability. It's a classic candidate for 306 atty use in that case.

Certainly won't be of any use milled down, 14500 isn't going to cut the mustard power wise, plus I can't imagine how silly a 22mm atty would look on top of an OG mini.

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
I agree, I don't think it would need to be milled down really. The RM2 is the best atty for it :).

I'll use it on and off for a few days I suppose and then pass it along...I think it'd be best suited to a newbie/1st reo owner....

i dont own a Reo yet.... trust me :)

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky

Yes. I agree wholeheartedly. +1 -->An RM2 can be set up to work really well with a 14500 mini. I have one on mine right now. 1.4-1.6 ohm coils can get cranking if positioned well. I set mine really high. The air hole is actually completely below the coil and it creates some impressive vapor for 1.4 ohms getting its electricity from a 14500 (I prefer the black AW li-on 14500s to the red IMR 14500s - I have my reasons and they are good ones ;) ). It's a lot cooler than the vape coming from the RM2 on my Grand with a ~1 ohm coil fed from a battery with a lot more oomph - but it does just fine even though a little cooler.

That or someone who simply can't wrap coils at all due to a disability. It's a classic candidate for 306 atty use in that case.

Certainly won't be of any use milled down, 14500 isn't going to cut the mustard power wise, plus I can't imagine how silly a 22mm atty would look on top of an OG mini.

I would like to +1 this as well. I ran my 14500 mini with 306's, i06's, and cisco aeros for the last three years until I put one of my RM2s on it when I found myself with a temporary spare (the reo that rm2 belongs to is going in for spa treatment). As far as I'm concerned, the 14500 mini and the cisco 1.5 ohm 306 are a fantastic match.

Also... anything bigger than an RM2 on a mini means you can't slide the door up... no fiddling with the door... no schlik schlik... schlik schlik... schlik schlik... I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't fidget with the door ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread