Great... this just made the front page of Drudge...

Status
Not open for further replies.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Corr2ct, he is simply in a medically induced COMA. (FACEPALM)
Care to explain the almost intact mod. I am not saying he wasn't injured. the events
as stated do not match what is known to be possible.
I bet he got super heated vapor as his mod was venting.
Regards
mike.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
It's not really bias, it's lack of information and misunderstanding. The writer does not know that it was user error. The writer of the article knows nothing about what we do.

This makes sense to me. The reporter is going to talk briefly with the family members, maybe some hospital staff or cops, and go with what they hear. They aren't going to do an in-depth investigation into how mods work. News outlets don't have dedicated expert vape correspondents. Even most vapers wouldn't be able to figure out the physics of what really happened here, including me.

I'm sure I've read articles on other topics and taken them at face value, while people who understood the subject matter were grinding their teeth with frustration. There doesn't have to be lying or conspiracies going on.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Care to explain the almost intact mod. I am not saying he wasn't injured. the events
as stated do not match what is known to be possible.
I bet he got super heated vapor as his mod was venting.
Regards
mike.
The intact mod is sitting on the perfectly clean towel on the bathroom sink. It had to have been reassembled and place there for the photo opportunity.

Would it have been easier to believe if they posted a pic of the poor kids charred and singed and burned face?

The kid in a coma has internal and external burns. I highly doubt that's where the mod ended up after the accident or how the mod looked after the accident. The vented battery is no where in sight.

The mod was a crispy critter blown completely apart with charring and burning.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
The intact mod is sitting on the perfectly clean towel on the bathroom sink. It had to have been reassembled and place there for the photo opportunity.

Would it have been easier to believe if they posted a pic of the poor kids charred and singed and burned face?

The kid in a coma has internal and external burns. I highly doubt that's where the mod ended up after the accident or how the mod looked after the accident. The vented battery is no where in sight.

The mod was a crispy critter blown completely apart with charring and burning.
How did they get the that blew up in side of him?
The mod itself appears to to have been beaten by a hammer.
Regards
Mike

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
To beat the horse dead the mod exploded once...the rest is the after burn down. A 2nd explosion is obviously an embellishment. It was probably more of a burning then an explosion. My guess is the poor kid passed out and his fire button stuck. If he was awake and alert he would have thrown the mod across the room when it went thermally hot in his hand. Have you ever held a shorting metal tube mod in your hand....in roughly 8 seconds or less it becomes thermally hot.....before it explodes.

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi
I blame this accident on the increasing popularity of vaping.
Half of all Americans are dumber than average.
The more people take up vaping, the more stupid people will be vaping, and the more accidents like this we'll have
Somebody could actually make a foolproof mod, but only a fool would be likely to use it.

I actually forgot...
NOTHING can be made perfectly foolproof, because fools are so ingeniously stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread