Gross, but I have to ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
At what point might I be able to look forward to not coughing up dark junk any longer? I am a few weeks into this now and I just want to make sure it's still tar and other stuff from stopping smoking (lungs healing) that I'm coughing up and not something from vaping. I have ceased from smoking a couple other times in the past and thought for sure it only lasted a few days those other times. When I started vaping, I didn't have that happen right away. It took at least a week but I am still going at it. I'm just a little concerned. :cry:

Thanks Scott. I needed to make sure I shouldn't worry about something else going on. I don't have any symptoms of being ill...but we can never be too cautious. Just wondered if it took everyone so long to "recover". Maybe I should vape more VG and less PG. It's just so darned expensive though. Health Cabin has me spoiled!

Pyrate

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Coughing up gross stuff is normal after stopping smoking. Your lungs are filtering the toxins that you took in from smoking. You develop the smokers cough that is actually helping your body get rid of these toxins. After cutting way down on cigarette intake or you stop smoking the cough starts cleaning up your lungs even faster. This can last up to a year depending on how long and how heavy you smoked

Thanks Pyrate but as I said, I have "quit" before and knew to expect this. The other two times I quit though, the junk I was coughing up was just within the first few days and that was it. This time around, I quit smoking and started vaping on the same day (never had another analog once I started vaping) and I didn't cough anything up for quite some time. When it did start though (I think about a week after quitting analogs), it never stopped. I'm over three weeks into vaping so I just thought it was odd that I was still going through this. Scott's explanation makes sense though. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing more damage to my lungs with the PG.

raddiver

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
Brandenburg KY
I can relate to the working the lungs theory.
I used to go scuba diving a lot. One of the things ive carried on since then is working on deep breathing exercises.
While i havent completely stopped smoking, im down from 1 1/2 packs a day down to 1-2 maybe 3.
I notice that when i force myself to do some deep breathing exercises, that will be the catalyst for the smokers cough. Not so much on the inhale (but its good to get deep breaths to fully expand the aveoli) but a long slow completely emptying exhale. Do that a few times, and it will probably force out some more stuff.

Im 3-4 weeks in now, and still have a heck of a cough.
Ive coughed up a bunch, and i feel better for it, but i know i personally have a long road ahead of me as a 25 year smoker.
-RAD

dwillings

ECF Veteran
Here's a nice little timeline I found:

20 MINUTES

• Blood pressure drops to normal
  • Pulse rate drops to normal
  • Body temperature of hands and feet increases to normal
8 HOURS

• Carbon monoxide level in blood drops to normal
  • Oxygen level in blood increases to normal
24 HOURS

• Chance of heart attack decreases
48 HOURS

• Nerve endings start regrowing
  • Ability to smell and taste is enhanced
2 WEEKS TO 3 MONTHS

• Circulation improves
  • Walking becomes easier
  • Lung function increases up to 30 percent
1 TO 9 MONTHS

• Coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath decrease
  • Cilia regrow in lungs, increasing their ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce infection
  • Body's overall energy increases
1 YEAR

• Excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker
5 YEARS

• Lung cancer death rate for an average former smoker (one pack a day) decreases by almost half
  • Stroke risk is reduced to that of a non-smoker five to 15 years after quitting
  • Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, and esophagus is half that of a smoker's
10 YEARS

• Lung cancer death rate is similar to that of a non-smoker
  • Precancerous cells are replaced
  • Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, cervix, and pancreas decreases
15 YEARS

• Risk of coronary heart disease is that of a non-smoker

telsie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2009
Maryland
It's been just about 3 weeks since I quit smoking and the only coughing I did was in the first 4-5 days. Oddly, the nasty stuff wasn't coughed up from my lungs, it was coughed down from my sinuses. It was as if I had the worst sinus infection of my life and it was clearing out rapidly. I was coming off a cold that I felt might be turning into a sinus infection at the time, but the taste I got in the back of my mouth from it was unlike anything I'd ever experienced from a sinus infection (and I've had plenty of those)... it was horrible. I wonder now if that was from years of tar and other junk built up in my sinuses. Anyone else experience anything like that?

enadrown

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
Salina, Kansas
I WISH I could cough stuff up. I am starting to believe everyone when they said those Kool's were turning my lungs into fiberglass. I still can't breathe any better than when I was smoking; hoping that changes, its been 20 days or so. Not going to give up vaping based on that; just waiting to BREATHE! We are all just happy I don't stink anymore!

I never coughed anything up. But yeah I never really coughed at all from quitting cigs and I smoked them from the time I was 10 to almost 26, yes I started early. Now I've been cig free for however long my banner in my sig says and I do feel a bit better but not to the extreme as others on the board have said. Maybe some are just different, maybe we didn't absorb cigarette smoke the same or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread