Status
Not open for further replies.

Rathamar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Mound - Minnesota, USA
upload_-1

So my Guardian 3 just arrived yesterday, and now having 12 hours with it I thought I would share my first impressions - Note I am using a Kanger TopTank Mini with this not the included tank (more on that below) So the Flavor I get is what you would get out of a TopTank.

Look/Feel/Build -
  • This is a very nice looking pipe. Build quality is excellent it fits in the had very nicely!
  • Battery door is smooth against the hand (even with vent holes). The Battery door is also snug and there is no movement. It is just magnets holding it close.
  • The Screen is bright and although some icons are small I was able to read it very well.
  • The Fire button location will take some getting use to. All of my other pipes have it located on the top. I have not decided if I like this position or not as it is just different right now.
Menu/Interface/Using
  • This is a one button device so using the interface takes some getting use to for those that have not ever used one. It also is slower to make adjustments
  • Thankfully you can download an app for both IOS & Android and blue tooth connects with no issues (on an Android) and the App is easy to use
  • Unless you are using the App, it is not quick to make small adjustments - something to keep in mind if you are constantly tweaking your settings
  • Battery life is looking to be about 2 tanks worth of a Kanger Top Tank. This is about what I get in my other 18650 Devices with the same build/watt/battery
    • My settings are 20w on a .35 Ohm Coil
    • Battery I am using is a Sony VTC4
Misc -
  • I went with the TopTank as I am a person that prefers to build my coils and not use pre built ones. The Micro TFV4 tank that is included does have a RBA available, but it is stated that you need the Micro version, so far I have only found one supplier with it. Also looking at the coils, they seem to be the full size coils and not the Mirco ones. There also is a chimney adaptor included to extend the chimney so I was confused on which RBA I need. I will be doing some more research and stopping in to a few B&Ms to see if anyone has coils/RBA for this tank
  • I do not use Temp control so I cannot give impressions of those functions on this device other than to say that the settings are available in the app and seem pretty straight forward.
Edit - A few followups now that I have had more time with the device-
  • The Firmware is upgradable and it comes with an update cable, I do not believe there is an update yet, so no comment on how that works
  • There is no Charging port on the device. It does have on board charging, but you have to use the 510 connection Ego style to charge it so no pass through.
  • The first time I swapped the batteries, it reset my settings on the device, but I have since than swapped out batteries a few more times and the settings have stayed. I am not sure if this was a one time glitch or if there is a limited time to replace the batteries.
  • To fully turn off the device you have to go in through the menu on the device. 5 clicks just locks the device, it does not turn it off. This doesnt bother me so much, but it may for some people and if you are flying anywhere with the device, you should have the batteries out, but if you dont make sure you turn it off not just lock it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2buildawall
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread