Gym, Cardio, Oxygen Uptake and Ecigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bendover

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
Espoo, Finland
I'm training at gym 4 times a week + 3-4 cardio workouts (running, crosstrainer etc). Last spring I was without ecigs because I didn't have working equipment. Reason for starting ecigs was to stop using snus. Anyway...as I have nicotine addiction I was using snus during whole spring.

On May I bought Ego-C kit and started vaping again. After that my oxygen uptake has been much worse when doing cardio workouts like running. I don't have this same effect while using snus. Anyone else have same experiences? I really would like to get rid of snus using ecigs but this is not good. I know nicotine causes this kind of effects if is being used just before the workout but ecig liquids must have some ingredient(s) lowering oxygen uptake.

mel_vin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2010
Toronto
I'm training at gym 4 times a week + 3-4 cardio workouts (running, crosstrainer etc). Last spring I was without ecigs because I didn't have working equipment. Reason for starting ecigs was to stop using snus. Anyway...as I have nicotine addiction I was using snus during whole spring.

On May I bought Ego-C kit and started vaping again. After that my oxygen uptake has been much worse when doing cardio workouts like running. I don't have this same effect while using snus. Anyone else have same experiences? I really would like to get rid of snus using ecigs but this is not good. I know nicotine causes this kind of effects if is being used just before the workout but ecig liquids must have some ingredient(s) lowering oxygen uptake.

Im no Doctor, Im just curious. What were you vaping PG/VG? Where you doing any flavor? What is the Nic Content? How much do you vape?

You are inhaling stuff to the lungs, when lungs arent really supposed to be inhaling anything excepct oxygen. Fact is we still dont have concrete proof that this is not "damaging" to the lungs. I choose to use the word damaging rather than safe as I dont want to start a whole debate on its safeness. Logic points to that this would seem "safer" than smoking. No tar, no "burning" of anything, no 4000 list of other nasties. Great. But does it do damage, and if so to what extent?

I do notice a "heavy" feeling on the lungs if I were to say run up a few flight of stairs after a heavy vape session. If I dont vape for a few days, and run up those same flight of steps, I dont notice that same feeling, so not sure what to make of that. I use VG and a low dossage of 4-6 mg of nic.

I vape in moderation now. I dont use it all the time. I use it when I feel I would cave and have a real cigarette, however I think my body goes WTF, why are you giving me nicotine, then dont for a few days at a time.

I have some friends that have been vaping steady for almost 3 years and they say they have never felt better. :unsure: And there are some hard core vets here that state the same.

Nicotine addiction aside, bottom line is if your are an athelete or someone who is atheletic, I dont think you would want to smoke or vape as Im sure it would just "get in the way" of your goals/achievements as to my original point in this was that our lungs arent really meant to be inahaling aything other than air...dam, why does smoking have to feel so dam good :p

bendover

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
Espoo, Finland
Actually I'm not vaping that much. Mostly in evenings...for me it's like drinking coffee. Tastes good and relax. At the moment I'm using Totally Wicked PG 11mg but have been used lot of VG liquids as well. Worst is smoking habit when drinking. Normally I couldn't smoke even one cigarette but after one beer...chain smoking :( That makes feel VERY heavy next day and takes almost a week the oxygen uptake to get back to normal level.

Yes..I'm an athlete but nicotine addict as well ;) As you might know, many hockey players are using snus.

Last edited:

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
Actually I'm not vaping that much. Mostly in evenings...for me it's like drinking coffee. Tastes good and relax. At the moment I'm using Totally Wicked PG 11mg but have been used lot of VG liquids as well. Worst is smoking habit when drinking. Normally I couldn't smoke even one cigarette but after one beer...chain smoking :( That makes feel VERY heavy next day and takes almost a week the oxygen uptake to get back to normal level.

Yes..I'm an athlete but nicotine addict as well ;) As you might know, many hockey players are using snus.

It'll will be interesting to see if your oxygen uptake improves with a PG only juice. I'm not a doctor, but from my own vaping experience I've noticed that juices with VG tend to leave a film on the window near where I frequently sit and vape. I figure that can't be good for lung function so I tend to favor PG only juices when I can get them. The difficulty is finding my favorite flavors without some percentage of VG in the mix.

bendover

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
Espoo, Finland
It'll will be interesting to see if your oxygen uptake improves with a PG only juice. I'm not a doctor, but from my own vaping experience I've noticed that juices with VG tend to leave a film on the window near where I frequently sit and vape. I figure that can't be good for lung function so I tend to favor PG only juices when I can get them. The difficulty is finding my favorite flavors without some percentage of VG in the mix.

I prefer Totally Wicked Titan liquids. As far as I know...all PG.

young gotti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2012
PA
as a person who works in the bodybuilding world.....smoking has effected my lung capacity only when i'm doing sprints, i do not notice any other effects when working out.....however i've used a controversial supplement, it's basically condensed oxygen in a can....spray it in your mouth while your working out and i really felt like it helped my lungs and felt like it made breathing easier

i've seen reports saying oxygen supplementation during training is complete nonsense, but in my experience as a smoker, it really helped me out

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It sounds like you never smoke, but used SNUS. Given that, your lungs are probably in good shape and vaping hampers them. You are technically a non-smoker who used an oral nicotine product and then stated vaping.

I wonder sometimes why we who smoked expect shining results when we quit smoking after doing so for up to 40 years. According to the medical articles about how your body recovers after you quit smoking, it can take 15 years to achieve full non-smoking health in terms of cancer risk and coronary risk.

Those article also say that your coronary risk is cut in half after a YEAR. That's a long time for only half the risk.

I think that it takes a LONG time for a smoker to achieve the performance stats of a person who never smoked. We can expect improvement, but maybe not a complete erasure of the effects of years of smoking. We may escape the problems caused in our elder years had we continued to smoke by quitting as early as possible.

Oxygen uptake is probably influenced by a coating of PG or VG in the lungs that hampers oxygen uptake for a while after vaping. While PG or VG is likely not to cause long term effects, it could cause short term lung efficiency effects just by its presence in the lungs. I'm no expert, just an observer.

Last edited:

bendover

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
Espoo, Finland
I'm smoking only when drinking...and couple of next days after drinking are nightmare. Breathing feels very heavy. I have tried million times not to smoke when drinking...but that seems to be impossible :) Fortunately I'm not drinking very often.

I remember article about red blood cells and carbon monoxide. For a person who is a "party smoker", it takes 1-2 weeks red blood cells to recover after smoking and inhaling carbon monoxide. In other words, 1-2 weeks oxygen uptake to recover to normal level. Not sure about the details.

At the moment this is a balancing between snus and ecigs. Day before I'm going to do cardio workout I try to avoid ecigs. Trying to get rid off all nictoine products but can't stop "party smoking". I'm still 100% sure that in a long term ecigs are much better than cigarettes and maybe even better than snus. Unfortunately we don't have people who have used ecigs 20-30 years. There are lot of studies but not so much experience about this subject. One of the best studies I've seen is made by Greek cardiologist. The video about the study can be found at VPLive Vape Team Episode #25: Proof Positive - YouTube

I would agree that PG based e liquid may be an improvement, I vape flavourless ejuice most of the time, and workout about an hour a day cardio without any problem. I havent actually tested my oxygen uptake however, I am just going on how I feel and I really dont notice anything. When I was a smoker, an hour a day cardio would have been out the question!

PG is used by the medical profession to administer lung medications, so of all the ingredients that would be the best advised. VG not so much info on inhalation effects, and same goes for flavourings, although if the flavourings are PG based and water soluble, that would reduce any problem.

In relation to SNUS, you maybe inhaled less snus compared to e liquid vapour, and so the effect may be less for that reason...because anything other than pure air that is inhaled is always going to reduce oxygen uptake i would imagine.

Anyway, it is an interesting question would be good to see some facts and figures

lynchite

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2008
North West UK
Not noticed any problems doing cardio, my lung capacity is far better than it was when I smoked. The only thing I've noticed is when doing bench press, the area between the pectorals is very painful. I can only put this down to muscle strain from the way I inhale vapour. I kind of gasp it in quickly I guess to maximise TH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread