Habana Reserve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick O'Teen

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Swansea, Wales
www.decadentvapours.com
I've loved it, HR, from the start. I know you, Nick, consider it a bit strong now (licking an ashtray ;-) but at one time you mentioned a toned down version. Anything further on that?

And have you ever attempted to duplicate the early TW French Pipe (not the yellow stuff)?

Most of the "further research" on tobacco flavours has been spun off into the new TW Black Label range (should be on the TW and TECC website in a couple of weeks,) - 7 new tobacco flavours to launch, and we'll probably build up to a couple of dozen over time.

I never managed to recreate the pink French Pipe, but I'm pleased to say that they seem to have changed the recipe back to the old pink "proper" French Pipe now :).
I swapped a bottle of Coconut Ice for it with someone on the TW forum who complained that it wasn't the same as the first (yellow) bottle he'd had, but was pink (and he didn't like it.) And yep, I reckon it's the good old marzipan-y French Pipe we knew and loved a year ago! (that was my very first vape :))

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Nick O'Teen:Most of the "further research" on tobacco flavours has been spun off into the new TW Black Label range (should be on the TW and TECC website in a couple of weeks,) - 7 new tobacco flavours to launch, and we'll probably build up to a couple of dozen over time.

I'm signed up for sampling, but don't know if I made the cut. I'm lucky enough to have tried one of them. I can't imagine it not being a big hit ;-) It's # 4 on my DV line up.

I never managed to recreate the pink French Pipe, but I'm pleased to say that they seem to have changed the recipe back to the old pink "proper" French Pipe now :).

I didn't know that. I'll throw some in on the next order.

I swapped a bottle of Coconut Ice for it with someone on the TW forum who complained that it wasn't the same as the first (yellow) bottle he'd had, but was pink (and he didn't like it.) And yep, I reckon it's the good old marzipan-y French Pipe we knew and loved a year ago! (that was my very first vape :))

That's what I recall. Do you still use your 901 e-pipe?

114211894.jpg

ournature

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
bologna, ITALY
i pretty much like the habana reserve concentrate, i find it taste great at about 8-10% on the mix, woody and winey and i like the fact it doesn't make the vapor too sweet like most of juices around.
i am really looking forward for the new tobacco line of course...

Nick, is there one of the upcoming new line you really think is THE winner? just curious..

Nick O'Teen

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Swansea, Wales
www.decadentvapours.com
Nick O'Teen:Most of the "further research" on tobacco flavours has been spun off into the new TW Black Label range (should be on the TW and TECC website in a couple of weeks,) - 7 new tobacco flavours to launch, and we'll probably build up to a couple of dozen over time.

I'm signed up for sampling, but don't know if I made the cut. I'm lucky enough to have tried one of them. I can't imagine it not being a big hit ;-) It's # 4 on my DV line up.

Hope you make it onto the list ;) The initial UK reviews are good, so I hope it appeals as well to the US palate.
Yes, the Real Tabs is in the range, though it's been refined and tweaked some more since you tried the original blend (to maximize volatiles rather than to alter the flavour.)

I didn't know that. I'll throw some in on the next order.

That's what I recall. Do you still use your 901 e-pipe?

The minipipe's an 801, and yes, I still use it regularly (though my routine daily vape is a 510 these days.)
I still use the 901s for testing new flavours too (on 901 auto and SD manual batteries,) as well as 801, supermini and 510 regular and LR.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
The minipipe's an 801, and yes, I still use it regularly (though my routine daily vape is a 510 these days.)
I still use the 901s for testing new flavours too (on 901 auto and SD manual batteries,) as well as 801, supermini and 510 regular and LR.

That's SUCH a good practice because flavors can taste so different depending on resultant wattage. Even Habana Reserve will start to lose flavor (burn out) at 1.5-1.7 ohm atty on a 3.7v mod. It vapes well between 1.8 - 3.4 ohm but then, imo, begins to not have enough heat above that (voltage constant). Black Currant goes much higher but burns out in < 2.5 ohms range. ymmv of course. I'm guessing the 'volatility' of the blend (or the flavorings used) have much to do with that, so that when you speak of maximizing volitility that you're directly addressing those aspects of flavor and the range of heat that they can take and still maintain their attributes. Am I close? :)

Nick O'Teen

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Swansea, Wales
www.decadentvapours.com
i pretty much like the habana reserve concentrate, i find it taste great at about 8-10% on the mix, woody and winey and i like the fact it doesn't make the vapor too sweet like most of juices around.
i am really looking forward for the new tobacco line of course...

Nick, is there one of the upcoming new line you really think is THE winner? just curious..

I hate them all equally LOL :D I'm not a fan of tobacco flavours myself, but the Oldport menthol (double yuk!) and Carmel seems to be picking up the most praise at the moment from the reviewers (mind you that may be because more reviewers have already posted their reviews for these flavours ;)
Actually the Rich Pipe isn't bad - it has a dark chocolatey finish that makes it a little less like licking an ashtray than the others. I used to love tobacco flavours - but then my tastebuds grew back ;)

There are a pile of ongoing reviews of the Black Label juices here

Nick O'Teen

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Swansea, Wales
www.decadentvapours.com
That's SUCH a good practice because flavors can taste so different depending on resultant wattage. Even Habana Reserve will start to lose flavor (burn out) at 1.5-1.7 ohm atty on a 3.7v mod. It vapes well between 1.8 - 3.4 ohm but then, imo, begins to not have enough heat above that (voltage constant). Black Currant goes much higher but burns out in < 2.5 ohms range. ymmv of course. I'm guessing the 'volatility' of the blend (or the flavorings used) have much to do with that, so that when you speak of maximizing volitility that you're directly addressing those aspects of flavor and the range of heat that they can take and still maintain their attributes. Am I close? :)

Yes, they don't need to be too closely banded by temperature, but I like to exclude what I can of anything that won't boil off cleanly at <300'C - even if fractions are volatile at higher than that, there'll tend to be a build-up of unvolatilized residue that can crud up the coil.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Yes, they don't need to be too closely banded by temperature, but I like to exclude what I can of anything that won't boil off cleanly at <300'C - even if fractions are volatile at higher than that, there'll tend to be a build-up of unvolatilized residue that can crud up the coil.

Making more sense to me.. thanks.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

I just got an order from TW that included the new/old French Pipe. It is significantly different from the last batch I had and much better - seems the marzipan note was more up front and perhaps some 'peach/apricot' as well?? I like it. Got a 'sampler' and might pop for a 30 next time around.

Also took advantage of the 50% off DV premixed pricing but really am waiting for a DV flavor sale and the Black Label stuff. With the newer LR atomizers and cartomizers seems like I'm going through more ejuice these days. Anyway thanks for the tip on the French pipe - I would have surely missed it.

Nick O'Teen

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Swansea, Wales
www.decadentvapours.com
I just got an order from TW that included the new/old French Pipe. It is significantly different from the last batch I had and much better - seems the marzipan note was more up front and perhaps some 'peach/apricot' as well?? I like it. Got a 'sampler' and might pop for a 30 next time around.

Also took advantage of the 50% off DV premixed pricing but really am waiting for a DV flavor sale and the Black Label stuff. With the newer LR atomizers and cartomizers seems like I'm going through more ejuice these days. Anyway thanks for the tip on the French pipe - I would have surely missed it.

The cartos definitely get through juice a lot faster - about as much as an 801 I fancy, since I'm back to 5ml+ per day on them, like I got through with the minipipe, compared to only 3ml or so with a regular 510 atty. I think it's the wider bore that improves the wicking.
I'm not a big fan of the LR though - too much hit, and not enough flavour.

Glad you like the French Pipe - yeah, brings back happy memories for me :)

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
The cartos definitely get through juice a lot faster - about as much as an 801 I fancy, since I'm back to 5ml+ per day on them, like I got through with the minipipe, compared to only 3ml or so with a regular 510 atty. I think it's the wider bore that improves the wicking.
I'm not a big fan of the LR though - too much hit, and not enough flavour.

Glad you like the French Pipe - yeah, brings back happy memories for me :)

Habana and Real Tabs (neither of which you vape, I gather) hold up well on the LR (1.8-2.0Ω) atty, (Absinthe, Ylang Ylang and Lotus Fl. not as well), and I actually prefer the mega eGo/Tornado atty and cart more than the cartomizer - same volume, easier to fill ;-) And yes, there is something about the 'mass' that seems to pull a lot of vapor and with those being regular 510 ohms the flavor is there as well. And like you I'm around 5ml/day after being down at 3ml.

Made up a batch of Absinthe last night - I still add some of the 'Fresh' - about 50:50 with the A.Glyc. part - it gives a bit of the 'hot' taste of the liqueur, imo... well, and tastes like the original I got from my first order ;-)

I have some Pernods on hand and I'm amazed at the difference between a straight shot on (or off) the rocks for example, vs. the "louched" with water (I don't do the sugar cube thing). It's not like any other 'dilution' but a transformation of taste. Must be some chemical reaction with H20 or something. You likely know...

Nick O'Teen

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Swansea, Wales
www.decadentvapours.com
Habana and Real Tabs (neither of which you vape, I gather) hold up well on the LR (1.8-2.0Ω) atty, (Absinthe, Ylang Ylang and Lotus Fl. not as well), and I actually prefer the mega eGo/Tornado atty and cart more than the cartomizer - same volume, easier to fill ;-)

They're not bad, though I find potentially dangerous with auto batteries (I've written several off by flooding them :() They seem to be more prone to flooding even than the cartos, but that may be because I'm just greedy, and habitually overfill them (which is a lot harder to do with a carto.)

And yes, there is something about the 'mass' that seems to pull a lot of vapor and with those being regular 510 ohms the flavor is there as well. And like you I'm around 5ml/day after being down at 3ml.

Made up a batch of Absinthe last night - I still add some of the 'Fresh' - about 50:50 with the A.Glyc. part - it gives a bit of the 'hot' taste of the liqueur, imo... well, and tastes like the original I got from my first order ;-)

I have some Pernods on hand and I'm amazed at the difference between a straight shot on (or off) the rocks for example, vs. the "louched" with water (I don't do the sugar cube thing). It's not like any other 'dilution' but a transformation of taste. Must be some chemical reaction with H20 or something. You likely know...

Louching is fascinatingly complex chemistry actually - anything up to a couple of dozen distinct essential oils, each with varying solubility characteristics (it's usually the anise that's least soluble,) and when you mix them up in water and taste them, the effect is basically one of thin layer chromatography being performed through the medium of the water film coating your tastebuds - so you get individual herb flavours in staggered but overlapping pulses, over the course of a couple of seconds or so, rather than more all together (like you would with a neat shot.)
A very different effect than most drinks, which just taste the same but weaker if you dilute them (lower intensity rather than entirely reshaped flavour profile.)

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Nick O'Teen:They're not bad, though I find potentially dangerous with auto batteries (I've written several off by flooding them :() They seem to be more prone to flooding even than the cartos, but that may be because I'm just greedy, and habitually overfill them (which is a lot harder to do with a carto.)

That's one nice thing about the carto - no center hole like others - so flooding via that method isn't a problem. Don't know how much you surf here, but Scottbee and I got some 'betas' and Scott cut one apart (I'm still using mine since May 23rd!.... I cut the 'skirt' off and have it on a Bartleby mod - my Real Tabs pv):

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...cts-maam-no-chit-chat-please.html#post1696449

I still like the fact that I can empty two dropperfuls (I still have the old green bottles - Oscar's looking rough though) of Habana Reserve into the cartridge ;-)

Gave up autos - still have a few actually but sold off my stash.

Louching is fascinatingly complex chemistry actually

I knew you'd know this. Wiki is so dry sometimes.

- anything up to a couple of dozen distinct essential oils, each with varying solubility characteristics (it's usually the anise that's least soluble,) and when you mix them up in water and taste them, the effect is basically one of thin layer chromatography being performed through the medium of the water film coating your tastebuds - so you get individual herb flavours in staggered but overlapping pulses, over the course of a couple of seconds or so, rather than more all together (like you would with a neat shot.)

And the neat is so intense that it blocks - a bit like a 'young cab' where the acid (& tannins) overwhelms any other notes.

A very different effect than most drinks, which just taste the same but weaker if you dilute them (lower intensity rather than entirely reshaped flavour profile.)

Exactly. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread