Hammer Clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhean

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
oooh I need those spacers! I can't remember where I got the stem from, as I ordered it so long ago. It was something like $7 and a number of places sold it. Sadly it only goes half-way into the Helios. Nothing but the firing button is sitting flush on the Hammer atm, but it still vapes great :)

The Hammer was supposed to be my first mod, but then I pulled back and got an m16. That was a good idea; this thing needs a bit of work to get right.

rucni

ECF Veteran
hello again all. after much painful research and some trial and error i found yet another fix for voltage drop on the hammer. i know alot of people have said get some brass springs from a locksmith well i havent found a locksmith in my area but i did have several car chargers for cell phones kicking around my house. what i did was take the spring out of one of them and cut it to fit in the hammer top cap. now i have a spring loaded center pin and almost no voltage drop. also i used a nylon bushing from my sink and a brass female spade connector from an old sub woofer so i can have my button on the side and battery vents on the bottom.

Keekers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Michigan
Hacksaw with metal cutting blade and a medium grain metal file should do the trick.
Brass is fairly soft and doesn't take much effort to cut or file down.

Personally I would go for a solid pin vs any type of spring mod, but my route requires different pin lengths for different attys if they don't have adjustable 510 connections.

I've heard good results from the dense spring method, so that is also a very viable option.
Oh my gosh this must be why people spend $200 on the original. Me + Hacksaw? Badddd idea.

TGT

Dec 8, 2011
Barrie
I'm back :) been away for awhile and wow how things have improved. Anyway, I came across the Hammer Mod Clone on a website and at first I thought it was some strange thing I had no interest in, but before I knew it, I had to have one!

I have been waiting on this thing for awhile now, long story, but tomorrow I should be getting it, with a Kayfun, and some other goodies. I can't wait to toy around with this thing, and reading through this thread recently has only heightened my anticipation :)

Will be reporting back once I have it in hand.

zipflint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Spartanburg, SC
I got one of these recently. Mine came from FT, and after some research and some help from some very friendly forum regulars, I got a Chi-You flat top cap to replace the stock 510 connection. Worked a treat!

However, I did manage to collapse the spring in the switch. I'm not entirely sure how I did that; the Taifun GT I had on it was only 1.0Ohm. I might have just screwed it on like a gorilla and overtorqued something. Anyway, a set of magnets fixed that right up.

I love the form factor of this thing so much, I've decided to TRY to save up for a higher-end, non-clone pipe mod. :)

Hammer clone 01 by zipflint, on Flickr

realbriguy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hammer Mod Akkuträger mechanische Pfeife

So i just ordered this clone. Is this a "hcigar", a "tobecco" or the "rainbow" type and am i skrewed or yes?

It's definitely not an HCigar... The fact that it doesn't come with extension tubes leads me to believe it's the low end Rainbow Heaven version (they have two), and you have potentially just bought an expensive paperweight, if that's the case.

Last edited:

glycerol

ECF Veteran
It's definitely not an HCigar... The fact that it doesn't come with extension tubes leads me to believe it's the low end Rainbow Heaven version (they have two), and you have potentially just bought an expensive paperweight, if that's the case.

Well, they also sell exactly the same unit as a full set with box and tubes for 5 EUR more, so I don't think so.. Looks to me like the Tobeco type, I don't know.. Had to do my homework BEFORE i click on the 'buy now' button.. (sad) Anyway, will update when I get it.

Last edited:

TGT

Dec 8, 2011
Barrie
I finally got it :). It's a Tobeco version. I managed to upload a pic but my camera is not cooperating atm and it's the best I can get for now. My first impression was WOW, this thing is HEAVY! I never got to see one in person before I actually owned it.

IMG_2421.jpg

From what I've been reading I was expecting it to be decent but not in as good of shape as it came in. I also expected that I'd have to mod it a bit on my own because of the switch problems I've been reading about but that does not seem to be the case either. It came out of the box virtually free of scratches (to the naked eye), with one exception being the top cap was a bit greasy and had a couple of small deep scratches, and all the detailed etching/engraving seems in perfect condition, The inside was also clean and there were only a couple small burrs on the threading that wiped off easily with the scrubbing side of a sponge. It's very nice to look at.

The brass battery tube is lined with a clear plastic tube, unlike what I saw in some review videos. An Efest 18350 flat top battery fits in easily with that plastic lining in place. The vent holes in the brass tube actually line up perfectly with the vent holes in the Hammer body. Switches on both the top cap and atomizer move freely and smoothly. I didn't test for a voltage drop but it performs well so I won't bother for now.

For my setup, I am using an 18350 battery, SmokTech Kick, Aerotank Mega and a stainless tilted brim pipe style drip tip (cheapy one but looks ok) I originally wanted to go with the Kayfun but opted for the Aerotank Mega instead and I'm not disappointed. I have the kick installed inline with the atomizer, using the 18500 extension, and I find if you gave a little of the threading to each side of the body and atomizer you can find a middle ground where no threads show and the extension and tank are firmly and securely attached to the body. It looks good this way and performs well. I went with Halo Tribeca (18) for my juice after reading some reviews and I love the flavor but the throat hit is a bit much for me, even after lowering the wattage on the kick (maybe cause I'm not used to it...idk, and any suggestions/insight would be appreciated.

I'm new to vaping all over again and thought I'd make it interesting and I'm pretty impressed and happy with this mod. All around it's interesting and fun to use :).

I did get this intending it to be a novelty as I figure I'd be a very light user anyway but I can actually see this being used as a main vape for some, at home anyway.

Last edited:

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Well, they also sell exactly the same unit as a full set with box and tubes for 5 EUR more, so I don't think so.. Looks to me like the Tobeco type, I don't know.. Had to do my homework BEFORE i click on the 'buy now' button.. (sad) Anyway, will update when I get it.
Based on pictures alone, it looks just like my tobeco version.. it's essentially a paper weight.. I've been keeping it around in hopes that some 18350 cells come out that I can use.. I had to replace the positive post spring with a piece of copper..I forget the gauge.. I'm bad with eyeing bare/non-insulated wire gauges.

Edit- I didn't have any issues with mine either when I first got it..with 0.7+ Ohm builds. About a month later...boom 1.2 Volts lost..

Last edited:

glycerol

ECF Veteran
Based on pictures alone, it looks just like my tobeco version.. it's essentially a paper weight.. I've been keeping it around in hopes that some 18350 cells come out that I can use.. I had to replace the positive post spring with a piece of copper..I forget the gauge.. I'm bad with eyeing bare/non-insulated wire gauges.

Edit- I didn't have any issues with mine either when I first got it..with 0.7+ Ohm builds. About a month later...boom 1.2 Volts lost..
It finally arrived and yes - it's the "tobeco" type. When I first vaped it i was thinking to return it immediately since the V drop was so severe that one couldn't get any vapour out of it. Then I opened the 510 connector and found what seems to be a spring from a cheap ball point pen inside. Threw it in the trash and put a small "ball" i made out of thin soldering wire. Now it hits harder than my sanded k100!! So glad i didn't send it back!! About the batteries - all my flat top IMR 18350s (TrustFire) fit great, but my protected TrustFire 18350s don't (they're like 2 mm longer and with a nipple). So don't use nipple top and put positive end first. Vape safe and use the locking ring always.

Last edited:

kbriggs

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2014
Houston, Texas
www.briggsoft.com
I'm interested in getting a black Hammer clone. First question, does anyone here own the no-logo "V2" version that fasttech shows here:
$25.83 Hammer V2 Style Mechanical Mod - 18350/18500/18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Who is the manufacturer?

My second question is about the extension tubes that most of the clone makers include. Raising the fire button just looks dorky as a lot of people have noted. And I've seen where people have swapped the button with the 510 connector so that the atty side gets extended. That looks much better. However, I've seem multiple listings on ebay where the fire button stays in its original 18350 top position with an extension on the original 510 side like this one:

Black Hammer Mechanical Mod Complete Kit Stainless Nimbus RDA | eBay

This is the best look by far but how is that working, exactly? What battery or batteries are in there? Who manufactures that one (the ebay listing doesn't say)?

Damrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Kearney, NE
So, the spring on the positive pin was compressed on my hammer, and I pulled it apart and got it working and said, "There has got to be a better way" I grabbed a brass machine screw I had for another project, turned the head down on the lathe to let it fit inside the hole, took off quite a bit of the top to make it nice and flat. Cut it off to approx length, filed it to fit. Buffing wheel on both ends and viola! Hits like a TANK! I am so happy with this thing now its scary!
IMG_0333.jpg
IMG_0334.jpg
IMG_0335.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread