EU Hanover (Germany) bans e-cig use in city's goverment buildings, health official and cancer center call for sales ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
From the BMJ (formerly the British Medical Journal)
http://www.bmj.com/content/344/bmj.e3

Hanover bans e-cigarette use in civic offices amid calls for better safety data - BMJ
January 5, 2012

Ned Stafford

Health authorities in Germany are warning of potential risks to health from electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes), with a top official at the German Cancer Research Centre in Heidelberg calling it one of the major new health issues currently facing Germany and the rest of Europe.

Martina Pötschke-Langer, head of the centre’s cancer prevention unit, told the BMJ that e-cigarettes usually contain nicotine and other potentially harmful substances. But unlike medical products that contain nicotine, such as chewing gum and patches used to help cigarette smokers quit, which can be bought only in pharmacies, e-cigarettes can be sold over the internet or in tobacco kiosks and other shops. Current information on the health effects of e-cigarettes is dangerously meagre for a product already on the market, she said, adding that research efforts need to be greatly intensified to provide a foundation on which to base regulatory decisions.

“E-cigarettes are one of the most burning health issues at the moment because dozens of companies are trying to develop the nicotine market outside of pharmacies in Germany and other European Union countries,” said Dr Pötschke-Langer, who is also head of the World Health Organization’s Collaborating Centre for tobacco Control in Heidelberg.

“The most important ingredient in e-cigarettes is nicotine, which is a drug produced by the pharmaceutical industry and also for e-cigarettes. There is no rational reason why the application of nicotine in the form of an e-cigarette should not be regulated, like nicotine patches, gums, inhalers, or tablets.”

E-cigarettes are often shaped in a cylindrical form like a ballpoint pen, sometimes designed to resemble traditional tobacco cigarettes. Inside is a battery and a replaceable cartridge of propylene glycol or glycerin based liquid solution that contains nicotine, flavourings such as menthol or cola, and other substances. When the user inhales, the device heats the liquid solution to produce a smoke free vapour that can be visible when exhaled.

E-cigarettes are being marketed for tobacco smokers to use in places where smoking is not allowed, such as smoke free pubs or restaurants, or as an aid similar to pharmaceutical nicotine products to help cigarette smokers quit tobacco use.

An increase in the popularity of e-cigarettes in Germany and their widening availability is setting off alarm bells among German health authorities, and several regional and federal officials in recent weeks have issued warnings about the potential risks to health. In the last week of December the city of Hanover banned the use of e-cigarettes by civil servants in city offices and city vehicles, making it one of the first cities in Germany to enact an e-cigarette ban. The city is considering banning the use of e-cigarettes in restaurants and other enclosed public areas pending additional studies to determine the potential effects of passive smoking of e-cigarettes.

Hanover based its decision in part on a warning about the health risks of e-cigarettes issued on 19 December by Elisabeth Pott, director of the Federal Centre for Health Education in Cologne, which is administered by the German Ministry of Health (BZgA : Pressemitteilungen 2011). In addition to the warning, Dr Pott also disputed the claim that e-cigarettes can help smokers successfully quit.

“Whoever believes that quitting smoking is easier with e-cigarettes is wrong,” Dr Pott said, adding that successfully quitting smoking requires behaviour modification.

She said that propylene glycol, which accounts for up to 90% of the content of some cartridges, can cause “acute respiratory system irritation.” She noted that the US Food and Drug Administration in 2009 analysed e-cigarette cartridges and found traces of the carcinogen nitrosamine and other potentially harmful substances in products from several manufacturers, in addition to ethanol, glycerin, and aroma substances (Summary of Results: Laboratory Analysis of Electronic Cigarettes Conducted By FDA).

The health minister of the state of North Rhine-Westphalia, Barbara Steffens, added to the chorus of warnings. On 16 December she announced that the state government had determined that e-cigarettes and their cartridges fall under regulations concerning medicines and medical products. She said that the state government is planning to adopt regulations to ban their sale unless approved for sale in pharmacies.

Dr Pötschke-Langer said that independent research into the effects on health of propylene glycol, nicotine, and other substances found in e-cigarettes is urgently needed.

She said, “Before a consumer product is placed on the market and advertised as a new healthy lifestyle product, there must be complete transparency about this product and basic data on many issues, such as composition of the liquids and the vapour . .. We also need animal studies on toxicology and carcinogenicity and effects of long term exposure.”

Last edited:

Lydia

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
The Netherlands
A reaction on things Martina Pötschke-Langer said:

Martina Pötschke-Langer: “But unlike medical products that contain nicotine, such as chewing gum and patches used to help cigarette smokers quit, which can be bought only in pharmacies, e-cigarettes can be sold over the internet or in tobacco kiosks and other shops.”

Oh, top-official Martina Pötschke-Langer, you are totally wrong: The containing of nicotine is really not the relevant thing here. The reason the mentioned BP-products can only be bought in pharmacies, is that they make therapeutic health claims. They claim to modify the behavior (stop using nicotine) and they do that ONLY when following the dosage-prescription: After repeated periods of use you have to lower the dosage of nicotine more and more and in the end no nicotine use anymore. If you don’t follow this prescription, they do not work for health as intended and claimed, so no ending of using nicotine and no modified behaviour. The e-cig does not make health claims as the BP-products and is therefore not delivered with a dosage-prescription for lowering the nicotine-dosage more and more after periods of time. They are harm-reduction products. Harm-reduction is something different as a therapeutic health claim.

Martina Pötschke-Langer: “The most important ingredient in e-cigarettes is nicotine, which is a drug produced by the pharmaceutical industry and also for e-cigarettes. There is no rational reason why the application of nicotine in the form of an e-cigarette should not be regulated, like nicotine patches, gums, inhalers, or tablets.”

Oh, top-official Martina Pötschke-Langer, are you right by stating that “nicotine is a drug produced by the pharmaceutical industry” ? Nicotine is a chemical that can be made by BP for their nic-patches and Nicorette, etc., but also by the tobacco industry for e-cigs and for farmers (insecticide) etc. So, the fact that BP makes nicotine for their patches and Nicorette, does not make it a pharmaceutical drug. Of course, I can understand that it is in your interest if EU-politicians get the impression that nicotine is a pharmaceutical drug. The more you scream it and they believe you, the more they are willing to see the e-cig as a product that belongs under the pharmaceutical EU-law…

Martina Pötschke-Langer: “Dr Pötschke-Langer said that independent research into the effects on health of propylene glycol, nicotine, and other substances found in e-cigarettes is urgently needed”

Oh, top-official Martina Pötschke-Langer, is it? What has your research centre the last years done on this subject?

Last edited:

Eddie.Willers

ECF Wiki SysOp
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
Prairie Canada
Feh!
It's the same old tune - trotting out that hoary old FDA/BS report from 2009 and using that as a basis for the claim the PV's should be regulated as 'smoking-cessation' products.

Methinks this is naught but un-elected, do-gooding officials scratching each others backs and propagating scares among the ignorant in order to protect their own livelihoods.

Tom09

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
Germany
Thanks for posting the BMJ editorial on the German situation.
Last month, Germany had seen (and continues to see) a concerted campaign to craft the public opinion on electronic cigarettes. The referenced editorial pretty much sums up most of the main players. A massive media campaign kicked off with an infamous press conference by Martina Pötschke-Langer, who is heading the German WHO Collaborating Centre for Tobacco Control. The campaign reached a prelimiray culmination with the health minister of the state of North Rhine-Westphalia (Barbara Steffens) calling e-cigs “illegal”. Meanwhile, several subordinate health officials and health senators of two city states (Berlin and Bremen) have joined the choir, too.
According to news reports, within in the next months a conference of the German states’ health ministers is scheduled that will be “discussing” the e-cig topic; and the EU Commission is scheduled to release its Revision of the Tobacco Products Directive.
On the positive side of this sht storm: supplier organizations got active and a consumer organization has emerged.

fumarole

ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2009
This is one of the best collections of lies and propaganda about e-cigarettes I've ever seen. It checks the box for just about every mistruth that exists, with the notable exception of 'corrupting the children'. This is an unforgiveable omission and somebody needs to tell them they have fallen short here.

EU pharma are handing out the cash left right and centre at the moment, they really are running scared. They've bought every cheap liar in Europe by the looks of it.

Tom09

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
Germany
Some later developments on the German situation:

Administrative Court decision: health minister is allowed to continue warning against electronic cigarettes
I don’t know legalese translation, so simply on a general line: a vendor in the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia requested that NRW’s health minister had to stop certain warnings. On January 16, Court decided that it is the ministers’ job to warn the public (Verwaltungsgericht Düsseldorf Az.: 16 L 2043/11).

The above was no decision on the main issue, i.e. is NRW health ministry right on its opinion that e-cigs are subject to medical classification under federal law (therefore nicotine-liquids sale illegal). Presently, it seems as if one vendor organization is up to fight the possible legal battle ahead. Apparently nothing is filed yet, but stage is there for a court case that would potentially decide the future for e-cigs sold in NRW. Outcome of this potential court case would set the precedent for the Federal Republic.
Question is if parties will actually seek this decision or will leave it at the currently unsettled situation (i.e. health minister shouts verboten - vendors doing business as usual, see German News).
Just my understanding of the present situation.

Edit to link a public document originating from the NRW health ministry, exposing their argument in this campaign targeting e-cig sales in Germany. Game plan is not restricted to liquids & would include the device.
(Falls sich jemand für die gegenwärtig auf uns niederprasselnde Kampagne zum Verkaufsverbot der E-Zigarette genauer interessieren sollte: Die Vorlage 15/1136 Bericht „E-Zigaretten“ aus der Sitzung des Ausschusses für Arbeit, Gesundheit, Soziales und Integration am 18.01.2012 wurde auf dem Server des NRW Landtags veröffentlicht. In der Vorlage beschreibt das Ministerium Steffens seine gegenwärtige Position und Argumentation in Beantwortung einer Anfrage der CDU Fraktion.)

Last edited:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
“Whoever believes that quitting smoking is easier with e-cigarettes is wrong,” Dr Pott said, adding that successfully quitting smoking requires behaviour modification.

I feel so stupid. I must be delusional. To think that I have been free from smoking ever since 1992 when I underwent behaviour modification and used the government-approved nicotine patches. But where did all those cigarette butts come from in the years since? Why did I start being kept awake at night by wheezing, and greet the morning by coughing up a big yellow lump of yukky stuff around 10 years ago? Why do I believe that I stopped smoking a little less than three years ago when I switched to an e-cigarette? Why is the night-time wheezing and morning cough gone? Have I been hypnotized by the evil e-cigarette empire to imagine all this?

Grüss Gott that there are kindly people like Dr. Pott around to save the lives of millions of German smokers.

MrsCasey

Pink Spot Fanatic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
Long Beach, CA
I feel so stupid. I must be delusional. To think that I have been free from smoking ever since 1992 when I underwent behaviour modification and used the government-approved nicotine patches. But where did all those cigarette butts come from in the years since?

Well Elaine I suspect those butts were actually the remnants of rolled up nicotine patches you smoked. I guess you'll need to change your banner to say thanks to behavior modification and patches. :rolleyes:

Tom09

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
Germany
Creative protest action against e-cig prohibition in Germany:

German vapers currently prepare to send their ashtrays, as they are not needed anymore, to NRW’s health minister Barbara Steffens (who had positioned herself at the forefront of the present prohibition campaign).
Cleaned ashtray should be sent in a postpaid parcel with a friendly letter included, and sheduled to arrive at, exactly,
the Ash Wednesday (Feb. 22).

For details - all in German - see FB campaign page (Selbstbestimmt statt ausgedrückt), campaign video (Dampferhimmel).
Some initially generated press coverage: Der Westen, 13.02.2012

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
<<BUMP>> Excellent idea Tom!!! Can't wait to see the response! :D

Google translation of the Facebook page:

"
Action"self-determination rather than words"

During this campaign,"the courage to rage"directed against a ban or restrictions on the electronic cigarette,we are launching this new campaign "instead of self-determination expressed."

We want the Minister Barbara Steffens (Alliance 90/TheGreensNRW) forAsh Wednesday to send a small gift of our ashtrays that we no longer need since we have switched to the electricfan <electronic cigarette>.
FOLLOWING is carried out this action:

-All who wish to participate in the Mrs.Steffens send an ashtray as big package or letter
- Arrive to the show on Ash Wednesday, 22February 2012
-All items must be shipped prepaid
-Please not registered and always with the sender,we must not hide
-Please send only an ashtray (supposed to be symbolic and not a garbage disposal.... ^^)
-The ashtray should be washed clean, no butts,no ash.(Bit values ​​that are appropriate)
-Everyone can be happy individually enclose a short letter why the ashtray is now out of work and how long it was in use.
-The cover letter should be friendly and polite! Of humor is obviously space, but always with grace,the action should come across funny, cheerful and friendly.

Here is the address to which packets should be sent to:

Minister B.Steffens-personally-Ovia-
Ministryof Health,empowerment,care
and age of North Rhine-Westphalia
Horionplatz 1
40213 Düsseldorf

How long has your package,please ask at the local post office.It would be great if everything would arrive on Ash Wednesday.
"

Last edited:

Tom09

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
Germany
Not my idea, just trying to transport this protest form, essentially shaped by the initiators of the linked FB page. Google translates reasonably well the technical part of this campaign. More specific things like the campaign slogan don’t translate, it‘s difficult to get the meanings of „self-determined instead of extinguished“ on various language levels outside the German context. Used to watch the unboxing of new gear, it adds fun to see vapers now showing off the boxing of ashtrays. Anyway, I love how the sent symbolic ashtray adds a visible sign, helps to make a protest noteworthy and enforces the argument. Highly interested to see what transpires when several hundreds or, hopefully, thousands of ash trays arrive at the NRW health minister this Wednesday.
Have to pack my personal box now :)

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
Creative protest action against e-cig prohibition in Germany:

German vapers currently prepare to send their ashtrays, as they are not needed anymore, to NRW’s health minister Barbara Steffens (who had positioned herself at the forefront of the present prohibition campaign).
Cleaned ashtray should be sent in a postpaid parcel with a friendly letter included, and sheduled to arrive at, exactly,
the Ash Wednesday (Feb. 22

For details - all in German - see FB campaign page (Selbstbestimmt statt ausgedrückt), campaign video (Dampferhimmel).
Some initially generated press coverage: Der Westen, 13.02.2012
Love it! No way am I able to send an ashtray to Germany and have it arrive on Wednesday. I wish I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread