Hard to draw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I got a coil and I used it for a bit but all of a sudden it is hard to draw from. I have it on open airflow and I washed it out with water and let it dry. It seems like something is blocking it from drawing. What could I do?

Vape - smok DevilKin
Coil - v12 prince x6
Hi and welcome,
Did you try a new coil?
What wattage are you using with that coil?
What is the brand and flavour of the juice you are using?
What is the PG/VG ratio ?
Nicotine level?

Cheers
I

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I'll second the 'sounds like it's time to replace the coil' opinion. Some people swear they get extra time out of their coils by washing them, but many others (me included) have never had any success in that department.

Just to make sure it really is the coil, I've got a few questions of my own:
  1. How long did you use it before you began having problems?
  2. How long did you leave it to dry after you washed it?
  3. When you say it seems like something is blocking the draw, do you mean:
    1. You can't draw at all
    2. You can, but it's far more difficult
    3. You can, but it's a bit more difficult and/or it feels odd?

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Are the airflow hole(s) on the side or bottom of the coil? Maybe the coil is too close to the airflow hole(s). Are you using a darker colored or high VG e-juice? The wick or coil may be gunked up, restricting air flow. Can you draw from the device without a drip tip (mouthpiece), or using a different one?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Sometimes, you just have to chunk the old coil and open up a new one and vape happy.

Take the old coil apart and look at how it works. That's the best way to understand what's going on in the coil's internals. There's one to four coils in modern coil heads. You may be able to see those when you look down into the coil head. You will see vertical holes in the cotton and that's where the air flows through the atomizer coil. You'll see wire coils in the holes. On the bottom of the atomizer you will see holes in the metal. Those holes match up with the holes in the cotton filler.

There should be a center air port that corresponds with a hole in the bottom of the coil assembly. Sometimes cotton shifts and blocks it. The cotton filler can also expand over time and narrow the air flow.

Last edited:

wackygt

Nov 4, 2018
    Yeah agree with the above, probably a naff coil, especially if you have used those coils before. Pop a new one in and let us know if the issue persists.

If it makes you feel any better, the first 0.8 coil I stuck in my Zenith died after less than 2ml of juice despite being properly primed.

Best of luck, hope you find the solution you are looking for.

Reactions: Diver9543

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    What could I do?
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    The wick is generally the first to load up and collect hard-to-combust deposits which can hinder an even flow favorable vape. Suggest you consider what I and quite a few vapors do, we build and wick our own coils. If you can bend paper clips and thread a needle, you can build your own coils and wick them. It's that simple. All you need is wire and a round rod (small screw drivers work) with approximately 1/8 inch od plus a wire cutter.
    Re:
    Greetings and questions
    Hi! need a bit of advice on coils.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread