Harlan County Detention Center sells E-Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
They did...hence the release of the "Crossbar". ;)
I guess the crossbar would be better than not but I would like to see various strengths, more flavours, has anyone tried this crossbar and what is the usual price. personally I could perhaps see service groups ie Elizabeth Fry or John Howard soc supporting this

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
Harlan County Detention Center sells E-Cigarettes
Posted: Thu 9:48 PM, Jun 18, 2015
By: Hayley Minogue

EVARTS, Ky. (WYMT) - The Harlan County Detention Center in Evarts is bending a law to allow their inmates the option to smoke. The commissary began selling e-cigarettes on January first, and the results have been beneficial to jailers and inmates alike.

More at link: Harlan County Detention Center sells E-Cigarettes
ya gotta love the wardens cya statement "at least we have something to take away" - still, I say God bless the powers that be that permitted this. I bet the guards are doing a little happy dance as well as slipping a freebie in some of the inmates areas. That which can be taken away can also be used to encourage or reward.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
The only issue is that at some point it stops being punishment. Having hobbyist level epuipment might not be the best especially with how dangerous these batteries can get if in the wrong hands. But there's nothing wrong with ce5s or evods and vv egos

It would be disposable cig a likes.

Also, punishment? We are supposed to be attempting to rehabilitate criminals so they can re enter society when released. Otherwise we would keep them locked up forever.
"Punishment", or torture never works, and only makes more criminals.

It's legal to become heavily addicted to tobacco. Approved and taxed by the state. Addiction withdrawals from using a product marketed and approved by the state could be argued as evidence of cruel and unusual punishment.
Withdrawals can also make for irritable, angry convicts, who pose problems for guards trying to keep things peaceful.

Sounds like a win win situation if it works out.

Reactions: GinnyTx

StonyArtichoke

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2015
Urinetown
It would be disposable cig a likes.

Also, punishment? We are supposed to be attempting to rehabilitate criminals so they can re enter society when released. Otherwise we would keep them locked up forever.
"Punishment", or torture never works, and only makes more criminals.

It's legal to become heavily addicted to tobacco. Approved and taxed by the state. Addiction withdrawals from using a product marketed and approved by the state could be argued as evidence of cruel and unusual punishment.
Withdrawals can also make for irritable, angry convicts, who pose problems for guards trying to keep things peaceful.

Sounds like a win win situation if it works out.
I didn't mean literal punishment. Rehabilitation is a much much better word. I solely meant that these people should be able to get their nicotine but not in a way that would give them a means of harming themselves or others.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I didn't mean literal punishment. Rehabilitation is a much much better word. I solely meant that these people should be able to get their nicotine but not in a way that would give them a means of harming themselves or others.
Well that leaves only a few choices, which are the same ones we have.
Again, it would be disposable single use cig-alikes.
No danger, the batteries never outlast the single use, and rarely make it until the juice is exhausted.
Have inmates sign them out and return the finished used product, just like they do with tools and books.

It's a no brainer. Cuts everything from health costs to stress levels, which is better for prisons.
If this doesn't fly it will be 100% due to greed and money.

DoctorJ

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
Too bad the Justified series ended. It would have been interesting to see how they would weave an ecig into a jailhouse murder scene.

YES! I hated it when the series ended. Do you remember the scene where Boyd was talking to (some guys wife) and she was using an ecig?

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
YES! I hated it when the series ended. Do you remember the scene where Boyd was talking to (some guys wife) and she was using an ecig?
They are popping up everywhere in movies and TV.
There's an upcoming horror flick ( can't remember which one ) with a "death by e cig" scene, where a victims gets impaled with the device.
:headbang:
You know your going mainstream when your product is used as a murder weapon in a horror movie!:banana:

DoctorJ

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
They are popping up everywhere in movies and TV.
There's an upcoming horror flick ( can't remember which one ) with a "death by e cig" scene, where a victims gets impaled with the device.
:headbang:
You know your going mainstream when your product is used as a murder weapon in a horror movie!:banana:

Hmmmm, death by e cig...I always imagined it would be some cloud chaser trying to vape with some insane amount of wattage and the mod blowing his face off :evil: I hope that never happens though. However, this gives me an idea on a story about a psychotic vape shop owner who sabotages his wares :blink:

Reactions: EBates

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Well that leaves only a few choices, which are the same ones we have.
Again, it would be disposable single use cig-alikes.
No danger, the batteries never outlast the single use, and rarely make it until the juice is exhausted.
Have inmates sign them out and return the finished used product, just like they do with tools and books.

It's a no brainer. Cuts everything from health costs to stress levels, which is better for prisons.
If this doesn't fly it will be 100% due to greed and money.
I looked up the crossbar. A soft disposable looks like the way to go. My son was in and out of jail with a drug problem. Every time he got out, he was eager for the first cig, knowing that it would give him a high. The last time, I gave him a vape kit, and on the judge's recommendation, sent him to his father. He got on that plane, and has not been in trouble since. He resumed smoking for a while, but is back to vaping.

His birthday is tomorrow, he was complaining about the cost at the many vape shops there, so I sent him a gift certificate from an onlne vendor. He would not be patient enough for FT orders, LOL!

Given that nic helps with anger control, it is a win-win.

AntC

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2014
United States
I think about being impaled every time I take a toot in a vehicle. If anybody has been hit by an airbag in a wreck, they know what I'm talking about. Used to think about it when I was a smoker,being burned (on top of airbag burns lol) from the cig while being hit by the bag. But if you're taking a nice rip off of your mod, and get hit or hit something in your vehicle, your airbag just may push your mod into/through your mouth! Not nicely either. Supm to think about...
I think the jail thing is great, other than people getting jumped or stabbed for their ecig. But that's always the case inside. (I hear, lol) The "have nots" always bully the "haves" for what they have, but that's over a friggin Ramen soup also. The little things matter inside, ecigs would be a great way for inmates to relax, and maybe keep out of each others faces. But as usual, I could also see the inmates getting them taken away soon after because of wrongful use or problems in general, fights arguments etc. Inmates are very intelligent (some are) and always find a way to abuse the rules. Some, and I mean only some, will be using them for drugs or yes, a shank in some cases. Which would mean all of the legal users in jail/prison would lose their ecig as well. I really hope they find a way to make it happen though, I just know it's a logistical nightmare for prison guards.

Reactions: Bad Ninja

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I think the jail thing is great, other than people getting jumped or stabbed for their ecig. But that's always the case inside. (I hear, lol) The "have nots" always bully the "haves" for what they have, but that's over a friggin Ramen soup also. The little things matter inside, ecigs would be a great way for inmates to relax, and maybe keep out of each others faces. But as usual, I could also see the inmates getting them taken away soon after because of wrongful use or problems in general, fights arguments etc. Inmates are very intelligent (some are) and always find a way to abuse the rules. Some, and I mean only some, will be using them for drugs or yes, a shank in some cases.

:thumbs:
It's called a "shiv"
Shank is a verb, "to shank.."
(reference to an old cable advert)
:w00t:
Prison isn't like the movies, and county jail is even less so.

Violence per capita in prison is actually less than most major cities you visit or live in.
It's a very controlled environment.

Johnny shoplifter isn't housed with Boris the Blade.

Prison isn't like Shawshank Redemption or OZ.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
They have different units for different types. But it would not be practical to have different types of ecigs available for different risk levels.

I was commenting on the "make a shiv" statement. That's straight out of a movie, and not realistic.

1. It would be a disposable cig a like.
Soft and pliable like the NJoy disposables. ( if you haven't seen one, they are made of soft plastic, you can't stab someone with one).

2. There won't be different types of e cigs, just the one style.
No egos or chargers.

It's a good thing if it happens, for guards, prison officials and inmates.

Reactions: 3mg Meniere

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
Bad Ninja you're so right..on the lock down country genera adult psych unit I worked at and eventually ran..they had ONE smoke break a day..now you had done that to me..you'd be locking me up in the "seclusion room" (bubble room) too..more than once a day too *lol*

so and a state facility so that was fun with teh no smoking policies..but five a day, once with coffee in the morning, after each meal and once before bedtime. I went out too with them (and smoked *lol*) handed out ciggies...but the lock downs DECREASED by over 1000% *lol*
my then charge nurse (who I wanted rid of so I could have her job) here's your master's complete with research.bye bye *lol* Hello more money*lol*
but yeah..give incarcerated and psych patients as much as they want.imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread