TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
Would you be kind enough, TomCatt, to post links to follow-on articles as they appear? I'd like to follow this; it sounds fairly objective, even positive! Thanks.

Please note that they are asking for reader feedback!

Throughout the week, we invite readers to weigh in and share their thoughts on e-cigarettes. Should they be banned from public places and workspaces? Should they be regulated - even taxed - like tobacco products? Are their concerns that they may lure kids into smoking or emit harmful chemicals, not yet known?

Last edited:

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The Harrisburg Patriot News has published the following series of articles this week on e-cigs.
The reporter Ivey DeJesus is doing an article about my activism in support of e-cigs in tomorrow's Patriot News.

Most of the headlines are fear mongering propaganda, and many false and misleading claims are repeated in these articles.

E-cigarettes go from vague curiosity to billion-dollar industry as vaping catches on (PA)
Electronic cigarettes go from vague curiosity to billion-dollar industry as vaping catches on | PennLive.com

Exsmoker considers e-cigarettes a life saver, plans to open vaping store (PA)
Ex-smoker considers electronic cigarettes a life-saver, plans to open vaping store | PennLive.com

Could e-cigarettes be the solution you need to quit smoking? (PA)
Could e-cigarettes be the solution you need to quit smoking? | PennLive.com

Headline claims electronic cigarettes alarm doctors (PA)
Electronic cigarettes alarm doctors, but vaping is probably safer than smoking | PennLive.com

Article makes false claims about vaporizers for nicotine and ... to scare readers (PA)
E-cigarettes: Officials alarmed by reports that kids use them to inhale drugs | PennLive.com

Article promotes vaping bans (despite no rationale for doing so) by trying to “inflame”
Vaping: Electronic cigarettes in smoke-free spots have potential to inflame | PennLive.com

Headline promotes more e-cig laws/regs by falsely claiming e-cigs are unregulated
E-cigarettes remain unregulated by law amid mounting calls for oversight | PennLive.com

Headline and article falsely claim flavored e-cigs are marketed to youth (despite no evidence)
E-cigarettes: Are manufacturers using flavors to lure minors to vape? | PennLive.com

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
I've posted comments on most of these articles to correct the false and misleading claims.

I spoke to the one reporter (Ivey DeJesus) on Tuesday, and sent her lots of info about e-cigs.

Unfortunately, after she spoke with me, her articles were publised that repeated more false claims about e-cigs (but didn't mention the evidence I sent her refuting the false claims).

But she said that her article in tomorrow's paper will feature my support and advocacy for e-cigs.

Last edited:

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
I've posted comments on most of these articles to correct the false and misleading claims.

I spoke to the one reporter (Ivey DeJesus) on Tuesday, and sent her lots of info about e-cigs.

Unfortunately, after she spoke with me, her articles were published that repeated more false claims about e-cigs (but didn't mention the evidence I sent her refuting the false claims).

But she said that her article in tomorrow's paper will feature my support and advocacy for e-cigs.
How nice of her to feature your good work, after shoveling plenty of B.S out to the public, in her previous articles. Hopefully she will do better moving forward now that she is better informed!

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
This is by no means the bottom of the barrel. You should see some of the :censored: that I read every day.

I haven't read the fifth one in the series (on kids and that-other-stuff), but it's almost impossible to find an article on vaping in the mainstream media which is entirely factual. The exceptions generally fall into one of two categories: (a) an explicitly pro-vaping editorial and/or personal testimonial; or (b) straight factual reporting intended for investors (share prices and the like) or perhaps a short factual article concerning the actions of public or private-sector decision-makers who regulate vaping. Sometimes I'll also run into a short junk-free article about the opening of a local vape shop, but nothing in depth.

There's a big difference between a 'hit job' piece that contains 100% junk and 0% truth (i.e. the reporter went out of their way to repeat every lie out there), a 'chock-full-o'-junk' article that contains a few positive things along with the trash, and what I call a slightly-junky or 'some junk' piece in which virtually all the crud comes in via quotes from ANTZ health 'professionals," ACA/ALA/etc. rep.s, and/or politicians. The latter is about as balanced as you're going to get.

(There are also the superficial selective reporting stories, such as the charger fire and poison center call items. My favorite in this category is the story about the child molester who offered a PV to a person whom he thought was a minor - that was the headline, anyway. Buried several paragraphs down in the piece, we find out that the suspect was also proffering illegal drugs and analogs.)

As I like to say, if a reporter is covering the 'controversy' over whether the earth is truly round, there are going to be a few quotes from a flat-earther.

The headlines in this series are obviously not best possible, but perhaps an editor put them on in order to assuage the public - since the articles aren't as junky as the ANTZ expect them to be. After all, they're pushing back on the other side as if their livelihoods depend on it. Come to think of it ... :laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread