Not open for further replies.

RichRod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
South Lake Tahoe, CA
hello vapers!
first thread/post

quick question on harshness of e-liquids, so let me begin by saying I have been vaping for about a week now. Coming from smoking about half a pack a day I purchased 5 juices, 2 in 12mg and 3 in 18 mg. I tried out the 18 mg and found the hit to make my throat and lungs tingle to the point where i could barely hit it. I switched to a 12 mg and could take nice big hearty rips in one of the flavors, the other 12 mg flavor still gave me a little bit of that harsh tingling feeling. My question to you vapors; is it the nicotine mg's giving me that harsh tingling feeling in my throat? or is it the pg/vg ratio? im pretty sure all of my juices are 80/20 pg/vg. I am going to be making an order from MBV but would like to be sure it is the nicotine levels and not the pg/vg. By the way on my MBV order i planned on ordering 6 mg to hopefully eliminate that harshness.
thanks!

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
hello vapers!
first thread/post

quick question on harshness of e-liquids, so let me begin by saying I have been vaping for about a week now. Coming from smoking about half a pack a day I purchased 5 juices, 2 in 12mg and 3 in 18 mg. I tried out the 18 mg and found the hit to make my throat and lungs tingle to the point where i could barely hit it. I switched to a 12 mg and could take nice big hearty rips in one of the flavors, the other 12 mg flavor still gave me a little bit of that harsh tingling feeling. My question to you vapors; is it the nicotine mg's giving me that harsh tingling feeling in my throat? or is it the pg/vg ratio? im pretty sure all of my juices are 80/20 pg/vg. I am going to be making an order from MBV but would like to be sure it is the nicotine levels and not the pg/vg. By the way on my MBV order i planned on ordering 6 mg to hopefully eliminate that harshness.
thanks!

hello RichRod, welcome to the vape club, ECF

my guess would be your maybe being abused by too much PG over VG

x smoker and 12 mg should be do-able , but who knows for sure...

:)

PennyLynn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2014
Rockledge, FL, USA
The PG is a factor; many (including me) have sensitivity to it. It can definitely hit the throat harshly. I suggest a conservative switch to 50/50 or less PG. I personally saw an immediate difference in harshness of hit. Then you can better see if the nic level is also an issue. I'd think, for a half a pack person, that 12 mg (or less) would suffice. I smoked closer to pack and a half, and 12 is good for me.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I seriously doubt the tingle is from the nicotine. It's more likely that it's the PG and you just need slightly less throat hit.

When you order from MBV you should try ordering the 60/40 blend, which after they add the nicotine works out to a 65/35 blend at whatever nicotine levels satisfy your cravings best. It will give you a smoother vape and a little more visible vapor. Flavoring may be slightly muted though, so you may want to consider adding an extra flavor shot.

RichRod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
South Lake Tahoe, CA
thanks everyone for the responses! still getting a little bit of mixed opinions. im torn because i like the feeling of having a lung full of smoke which ive read is from the PG. I think for my order I will do 65/35 with 6 mg. hopefully that will be my happy medium. Please feel free to chime in ide love to hear more opinions!

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Nic and PG in combination affects the TH... I use 100VG at 30-36nic with minimal TH but I have tried 18 nic at 50/50 and coughed it back out.... too much TH... if you prefer PG blends, you may want to consider lower nic lvls...
as far as tingly sensations... is it a peppery tingle?? if it is peppery then its the nic. If its scratchy, PG would be more of the culprit.

FourWinds

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2014
UK
When I started to vape I had to be careful not to cough like hell every time I took a hit for the first 2ish weeks. Slow and light draws were all I could take. I read all about the allergies and other advice. It just went away, and I think that simply my throat was red raw from the smoking.

I wouldn't buy a lot of any kind of liquid for at least three weeks man.

danny4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
London
RichRod:12551772 said:
thanks everyone for the responses! still getting a little bit of mixed opinions. im torn because i like the feeling of having a lung full of smoke which ive read is from the PG. I think for my order I will do 65/35 with 6 mg. hopefully that will be my happy medium. Please feel free to chime in ide love to hear more opinions!

You may have gotten mixed up.

More vg = more vapor
More pg = carries flavor and throat hit better.

dwhite25

Mar 16, 2014
United States
Hey Rich. Welcome to the site, and the lifestyle. :)

It could be a bit of both. Higher nicotine will definitely hit your throat harder, though I'm surprised that would be the case if you're coming from frequent cigarette smoking.

PG is also known to hit the throat harder, and to dry out your mouth and throat more in the long run. You're using blends that are pretty heavy on the PG, so I'd suggest trying some out that are more balanced, or even heavier on the VG. I personally use 100% VG (or as close to it as possible) in almost every eliquid I buy. It's a cooler smoke with less of a throat hit (TH for short), and also gives thicker, more billowy clouds of vapor (which I'm a fan of).

Hope that helps!

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
when I started vaping, I got lucky and had VG strong juices
(didn't even know the diff then)

then I got a hold of some that just killed my throat - it was PG STRONG !

wow ! did it irritate my throat, so lesson learned (the hard way)

drink lots of water For Sure, now if careful I can do 50/50%
due to the fact my mouth/throat have become conditioned

also what topper-tank are you using ?

if it's a Top Coil, perhaps a Bottom Coil (bcc) would serve you better
due to the fact it produces a cooler vape...

50/50 - drink water - bottom coil

You can get a tangy chemical type throat hit from un steeped juice try steeping it aswell
put it in a dark cupboard shake like hell every day open cap squeeze the bottle a few times to recirculate the air put cap back on put it back in dark cupboard,

As for pg vg everyone is differant and effects them differently but try a 50/50 mix
As for the nic 12 is fine for me I used to smoke 20-30 cigs a day so if you smoked less try a 6mg if it's not enough go higher
The only other thing I can think of could be a bad clearo ect I don't know what set up your vaping but if it's not rebuildable I would highly recommend aspire bdc tank nova or nautilus if clearo go aspire ce5
Bottom coils tend to vape cooler and better IMO

RichRod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
South Lake Tahoe, CA
thanks everyone for the responses its much appreciated! also not sure what battery im using but its like an evod, with a T3S clearo so its bottom coil. Also the drinking water thing is a great tip, I wouldnt have realized it could dehydrate me but after usage i can clearly tell i need to drink more water. ordered 2 juices in a 50/50 6 mg, also read the comments on the juices about steeping and what not. So glad ive joined this forum theirs so much to learn about my new vaping hobby, thanks everyone!

ZeroOhms

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Lots of great post here. Nic level, allergy to PG, sore throat in first few weeks. These all can play part. So, experiment with different setup to find what works for you. Important to note that your body will change pretty rapidly and might end up with totally different preference within a month.
One thing I didn't see is the flavor. Different juice flavor can have different effect to throat hit. So, be sure to try out as many flavor as you can.

and lastly, Welcome to ECF!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread