Has anyone tried the SQuape clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
I am looking for any info on the SQuape clone that is showing up now online at some vendors. How does it compare to the original one? I have seen some info that questions the coating that is used on the deck/wick area. I have heard this coating is not the same on the clone as the original and the coating is changing colors in a few days and getting scratched up.
I use kayfun Lites and kayfun lite clones at the present and really like them, but it appears to me that the SQuape may wick a little better.
But I really have questions about this coating issue as far as safety and if the coating comes off it could cause an electrical short as the coil lays against the coating.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
none of us are willing to chance it, the clone definitely has a different coating no one can identify, until we know what it is and why it changes color so easy (the real one is anodized) to be safe everyone is avoiding it.. there is a big thread about it in the RBA subforum.

It isnt even an issue with possible shorting we want to know what is flaking off and possibly getting in the juice or our lungs, anodized (or ematal) does not come off it is a metal treatment not a coating.

Last edited:

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
I used a poor choice of words (coating) taking about the original one. I have knowledge of anodizing as I retired from the Pharmaceutical industry recently and we used anodizing on product contact parts that were made of alu. The anodizing we used on parts that could wear was call Hard Coating anodizing that we had done in up Pa. It went down in the metal a few thousands and would add about two thousands in thickness to the part. It was some tough stuff.
I will check out the subforum.
Thanks

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I used a poor choice of words (coating) taking about the original one. I have knowledge of anodizing as I retired from the Pharmaceutical industry recently and we used anodizing on product contact parts that were made of alu. The anodizing we used on parts that could wear was call Hard Coating anodizing that we had done in up Pa. It went down in the metal a few thousands and would add about two thousands in thickness to the part. It was some tough stuff.
I will check out the subforum.
Thanks
well thats my point, this seems to be more of a thin film coating over the surface then a true treatment like ematal in the real squape. i had one and the ematal (<spelling?) was pretty tough and did not in any way change color or degrade.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
How did you like the original real one? Did it work good?
I may just have to buy one of the redesigned real ones with the increased air flow.

I have a couple real Squapes. The Squape is a nice atty. You'd be hard pressed to find anything easier to set up. That being said, I wouldn't touch the clone, because of the unidentified coating on the base and chimney.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
@thrasher

you know bud I don't think the coating changed color, that's the color it is I think. atleast every pic I can find of the clone the base is a gold color stock? maybe im wrong though ;) if I can find one i'm getting one, not from 101 vapes though, $35 is a bit to steep imo

who cares what color it is - it isnt supposed to change that color and then fall off, lol

lol and if 35 is too much for a clone of a 170 dollar atomizer rebuildables may not be your cup of tea

Last edited:

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I see EHpro makes a squape clone to. they claim it has "ematal" coating... gotta wonder how true that claim is.

Well, the process has been around for a while, and although it almost seems silly to say so, their clones seem to be rather well thought of.

We need a guinea pig!

nelsonm64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2013
Kelowna, B.C.
Well, the process has been around for a while, and although it almost seems silly to say so, their clones seem to be rather well thought of.

We need a guinea pig!

I have yet to find the EHpro for sale anywhere... hopefully when FT gets them they are the ehpro version. I like that fact that tobeco's version has a glass tank though but, that coating still has me a bit concerned.

prophetr1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 13, 2010
Richmond
yes so what i have found is this.. the tobecco version is a pyrex tank and the hcigar/ehpro version have polycarbonite tanks. As said above the pyrex tobecco version has been known to have orings that are a little to small to hold the tank in securely but have not heard that from all..

the ehpro/hcigar version are said to have the emetal coating an the base is actually closer to the color of the original like a grey color where the tobecco has the brass color mystery .

Definitely would be the guinea pig.. but at this time i cant even find the pyrex version... i have only seen one on ebay and they want $52 obo..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread