Have to rewick a few time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gznster

Oct 26, 2015
Hi guys, so I recently got this problem where I have to rewick a few times to get back the flavor that I want, which normally I needn't to. Otherwise, it'll taste really bad or really weird.

What I normally do and has always been doing : dry burn > rinse > install new cotton > saturating it > test fire > screw it back into my tank. It has always worked out for me until recently, it's getting onto my nerves, I heard that it takes a few hits for the wick to absorb the juice or settle down before everything stabilised, recently it has just gone bad to worse.

Wruff

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2014
Vapeville, USA
Do you gently scrub your coils too after dry burning? Get all that burnt gunk off your coils before rewicking. Gotta gently scrub the coil with a metal brush.

I use these dremel heads (by hand, not on a dremel tool). Tighter bristles than a typical metal brush, and the design of these heads allows getting into tight spots. I use the disc, but that one on the right looks excellent for the job too.
(AGAIN, ONLY BY HAND. NOT USING THE DREMEL)

$2 at hardware store.
$_35.JPG

Before and after...
20151103_172156.jpg
20151103_173820.jpg

Dry burn > scrub > rinse

Last edited:

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
I just remove the cotton , dry burn the coil and replace with new cotton , i don't know what type of juice your using if you have to go through all that .

If you want maximum longevity use Rayon , it last a lot longer than cotton. I don't have to use my Dremel to clean my coil , my coil would be ruined for sure lol.

Gznster

Oct 26, 2015
Do you gently scrub your coils too after dry burning? Get all that burnt gunk off your coils before rewicking. Gotta gently scrub the coil with a metal brush.

I use these dremel heads (by hand, not on a dremel tool). Tighter bristles than a typical metal brush, and the design of these heads allows getting into tight spots. I use the disc, but that one on the right looks excellent for the job too.
(AGAIN, ONLY BY HAND. NOT USING THE DREMEL)

$2 at hardware store.
$_35.JPG

Before and after...
20151103_172156.jpg
20151103_173820.jpg

Dry burn > scrub > rinse
I normally don't tho, I'll try that in my next rewick, I have just changed from my 26 ga, 0.7 ohms wire to a 22 G 0.3 ohms wire, so i doubt that's the case with it. My coils look exactly like that after dry burning everytime. Do I have to scrub it as well if I'm using micro coils?
I just remove the cotton , dry burn the coil and replace with new cotton , i don't know what type of juice your using if you have to go through all that .

If you want maximum longevity use Rayon , it last a lot longer than cotton. I don't have to use my Dremel to clean my coil , my coil would be ruined for sure lol.
mm, I certainly don't have the luxury to try other wicks, considering the bans in my country. Been using organic cotton for a month now.

Have you changed the brand of cotton?
They don't all taste the same.
Not really, I have been using muji Japanese cottons all this while.

Ps. Oh I found out the term for it, called break in point or something like that, it usually takes a few dry hits to get the sweet spot, my problem is now that it takes God knows how long for my sweet spot to kick in, very miserable currently with that metallic/dry whatever it's called, not really as awful as a burnt hit, but certainly not something you wanna vape on

Last edited:
Reactions: KentA

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
I normally don't tho, I'll try that in my next rewick, I have just changed from my 26 ga, 0.7 ohms wire to a 22 G 0.3 ohms wire, so i doubt that's the case with it. My coils look exactly like that after dry burning everytime. Do I have to scrub it as well if I'm using micro coils?

mm, I certainly don't have the luxury to try other wicks, considering the bans in my country. Been using organic cotton for a month now.

Not really, I have been using muji Japanese cottons all this while.

Ps. Oh I found out the term for it, called break in point or something like that, it usually takes a few dry hits to get the sweet spot, my problem is now that it takes God knows how long for my sweet spot to kick in, very miserable currently with that metallic/dry whatever it's called, not really as awful as a burnt hit, but certainly not something you wanna vape on

If you wet the wick thoroughly (always a good idea) after changing to a new one and BEFORE filling the tank the dry hit issue should not be an issue at all , this sounds like a juice feed problem of some sort .

What tank our you using?

Gznster

Oct 26, 2015
If you wet the wick thoroughly (always a good idea) after changing to a new one the dry hit issue should not be an issue at all , this sounds like a juice feed problem of some sort .

What tank our you using?
The kanger subtank mini, yea I have definitely saturate thoroughly before installing it back into my tank, it looks awesome when I test fire it, when I install it back its just not the same

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
The kanger subtank mini, yea I have definitely saturate thoroughly before installing it back into my tank, it looks awesome when I test fire it, when I install it back its just not the same

I don't have one of those but many do and i think if you "google" dry hits with Subtank mini i think you will find a solution.

Wruff

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2014
Vapeville, USA
My coils look exactly like that after dry burning everytime.
Hi Gznster,

I don't know what your setup is.. coils, etc...

I rewicked an hour ago and took a pic to demonstrate the difference between coils dryburned only and those also cleaned gently with a small metal brush.

Left coil: dry burn only > rinse.
Right coil: dry burn > scrub > rinse.
Lots of nasty burned juice gunk buildup remains when not given a gentle scrub with a metal brush.
2015_11_29_17_49_00.jpg

^^
Eww

Last edited:

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Hi Gznster,

I don't know what your setup is.. coils, etc...

I rewicked an hour ago and took a pic to demonstrate the difference between coils dryburned only and those also cleaned gently with a small metal brush.

Left coil: dry burn only > rinse.
Right coil: dry burn > scrub > rinse.
Lots of nasty burned juice gunk buildup remains when not given a gentle scrub with a metal brush.
2015_11_29_17_49_00.jpg

^^
Eww

LOL, Glad to see Im not nuts. I thought I was the only one gently scrubbing my coils :) I use tiny micro brushes made of nylon and some made of stainless steel I got on Ebay.

I like the idea of the one on the far right of your photo. I have lots of those... THANKS !!!!

Reactions: Wruff

Wruff

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2014
Vapeville, USA
LOL, Glad to see Im not nuts. I thought I was the only one gently scrubbing my coils :) I use tiny micro brushes made of nylon and some made of stainless steel I got on Ebay.

I like the idea of the one on the far right of your photo. I have lots of those... THANKS !!!!
:) Yep, no corrosive carbon crapola gonna spoil these vapes, thank you.
Our coils live long and prosper. ;)

Reactions: anavidfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread