Haven't been here in forEVER! 501 question/comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorraineg57

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Outside Pgh, PA
I believe that's the model I have with numerous batteries, atomizers, etc.

I bought all this back in 2009 and the thrill of a possible way to quit analogs died pretty quickly because the device was SO unpredictable. I'd either fill it too much and get a mouth full of juice or I'd get no vapor at all, very unpredictable and very frustrating after a substantial investment. I was constantly playing with it to get it to work right, new atomizer, clean atomizer, re-fluff cartridge filling, etc.

I really don't want to sink a(nother) pile of money into this with similar results. I do see that stores are now selling e-cigs and wonder if any of those are more reliable?

Any input would be appreciated!

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I do see that stores are now selling e-cigs and wonder if any of those are more reliable?

Right now a retail store that sells anything worth using is exceedingly rare. One that sells something worth using at a reasonable price is almost non-existent. Things have come a long way in just the year I've been vaping. It's hard to imagine what they were like when you left. You don't have to spend a fortune but, you will need to get something new and you'll need to order it from a website.

I'm pretty sure in '09 everything was cigarette sized and you were using atomizers and cartridges. Very leaky, very inconsistent, and very unsatisfying.

As for what you should do now, I'm going to refer you to another thread from someone in the same boat. Take a look at this thread. I think it has most of the info you need.

alamor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2011
idaho
I have to agree with the other members. Cartomizers are probably the way to go. I prefer the clearomizers so I can keep an eye on the dampness of the filler material. Also, if your 510 is the skinny black model you might wanna consider upgrading to a KGO or a Riva with a bit better battery life. I think they are about $40 on Liberty flights website.

lorraineg57

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Outside Pgh, PA
Now I'm thinking it may have been a 901? I have to see if I can find the documentation tomorrow but I doubt I still have it.

Seems things have changed drastically! I don't even understand the jargon any more!

Checking out recommended threads and products now. Are ANY retail ones worthwhile? Doesn't have to last forever, just something that's reliable enough to see if I'll stick to it this time.

Are they still as heavy as they used to be? (weight)

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Now I'm thinking it may have been a 901? I have to see if I can find the documentation tomorrow but I doubt I still have it.

Seems things have changed drastically! I don't even understand the jargon any more!

Checking out recommended threads and products now. Are ANY retail ones worthwhile? Doesn't have to last forever, just something that's reliable enough to see if I'll stick to it this time.

There have been huge advances in PV's since you have been around. Most of us do not use the small cig sized models that are so inconsistent and have very short battery life. What you are use to had/have 100 - 200 mAh batteries. A standard beginner model like the Kgo 510, E-Power 510 and Riva 510 all have 1000 mAh batteries and last around 6 hours on a charge and are the size of a sharpie pen. They provide warmer vapor and more consistency.

Rule of Thumb: the more it looks like the real thing, the worse the performance.

Here is what I would suggest you look at to get back in the game:

KGO kit1100mAh by SLB

Ego E-Power Kit

EVO V2 Kit

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC

As far as weight goes, they haven't gotten any lighter. However, I do have a suggestion for you. Find a Walgreen's Drug store and buy a Blu disposable. Around here they are about $8.00. That's a poor example of what's possible but, it'll give you a baseline for where you want to go.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there

For $16 and a few more $'s for cartomizers and juice you can try an ego pass thru. Not much to spend and it will be better than what you had before. Just a thought. bnrk

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
The store stuff is now a lot better than just a year ago. Most sold earlier in tobacco shops and such were older outdated models. Even just picking up a disposable will let you get the feel for a carto and experience a bit of the changes. Don't buy from the mall vendors -- most are high priced for what you get.

The only one I have used that is in stores these days is Cig20. I was shocked. It tasted pretty good---not at all like my first mini-ecig.

Then, when you are ready to go for more -- you know where to ask!

And, don't give up on those atty's just yet. 901's do have a fan club. It's the cartridges that were used that are in limited use.

Last edited:

lorraineg57

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Outside Pgh, PA
UPDATE:
I ended up getting a Mistic from Wal-mart to see if I wanted to venture back into e-cigs at all. I have to say I'm quite impressed. Keep in mind I am NOT a heavy smoker (usually 5-6 analogs a day). The vapor is consistent, no fussing or aggravation. I just refilled the cartomizer with some Puresmoker menthol that I had here (also just placed order for Minthia and SilverLeaf Menthol from PS). The thing I do notice however is throat irritation in general with the e-cig which I don't recall having before. I'll probably just stick with this set up for the time being as the kit came with 3 cartridges and two batteries and chargers.

Wish I could buy empty cartomizers to fit this....

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I can't guarantee this is right but, the best I can come up with is that it's 901 threading. If that's true an 808 carto will screw on but, it won't go down all the way. You could try getting either a 901 to 808 or a 901 to 510 here and try it. If you buy a single carto there, you'll be out a little over $10 plus shipping to try it. The only problems is, the mistic kit isn't much more than that. You can get replacement cartos at their website 5 for $15. Looks like they're all prefilled though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread