Having issues with my Aspire PockeX

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
It seems I've been doing a few things wrong. When I replace a coil, I was actually putting some juice on the top 0-ring to "lube" it (I was an auto mechanic... you always lube o-rings) Also, the pockex doesn't have much air flow so I thought you were supposed to take easy draws (why fight it?) I didn't realize taking a strong draw helps "suck" more juice into the cotton wick. No wonder I have issues with coils getting that "burnt" taste so soon. I wasn't getting a thick vape or enough flavor. Had it all backwards. I was priming them well and waiting at least 10 minutes, but still got bad taste after only one day. You gotta "suck the snot out of that b*tch"

It seems I've been doing a few things wrong. When I replace a coil, I was actually putting some juice on the top 0-ring to "lube" it (I was an auto mechanic... you always lube o-rings) Also, the pockex doesn't have much air flow so I thought you were supposed to take easy draws (why fight it?) I didn't realize taking a strong draw helps "suck" more juice into the cotton wick. No wonder I have issues with coils getting that "burnt" taste so soon. I wasn't getting a thick vape or enough flavor. Had it all backwards. I was priming them well and waiting at least 10 minutes, but still got bad taste after only one day. You gotta "suck the snot out of that b*tch"

It's worth noting that with variable wattage mods, you can gently regulate the power a new atomizer is exposed to. I tend to let a couple of drops of eliquid through each of the round holes on the side of the atty, fill the tank and take a couple of gentle unpowered tokes on it. I then leave it for 15 mins and start vaping with the wattage on 3. I only do a few very slow tokes on it this low, then move it up gradually (once again having a couple of gentle tokes with each watt increase) up to 6. I then leave it for 10 mins more, before having another few tokes and moving it up to 8. By then, I'm starting to get proper vapor, so I vape slowly for half a day before putting it up to 10 or 11. By this time, the coil is properly broken in and I can vape as I like. If at any point it starts to gurgle, then push up the wattage till it stops. If it starts to taste even slightly burnt, then push it back down again.

As an ex pipe smoker, I used to find I burned a lot of atomizers to begin with. Using the above technique, I haven't had that full-on burnt taste for a long time. I also found the Aspire K1 and K3 tanks were more forgiving than others I tried.

EDIT: Another tip, which I do now without thinking about it, is that each time I put the ecig to my lips, i take a brief, unpowered sip before pressing down the fire button and drawing on it fully.

Last edited:

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
That's a really good point. I start new coils at lower power and work up gradually. Also, thicker liquids may take longer to wick - and if you chain vape, you need to be sure that the coil can keep up. Since the Pockex won't let you change airflow or power, you're pretty much stuck with trying a thinner liquid (e.g. max 50% VG).

I think you'll enjoy the flexibility a tank & mod can give you.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
yorkslad, absolutely agree. I really need a mod... don't think I will be happy with AIO anymore. I do take "dry hits" between vaping and that helps, but having adjustable power would be great. Even the coil I am still using (that just started to get slight burnt taste) is doing better. I always mix some 50/50 with thicker juices. I have one thicker juice that is dark and sweet... can't use it, just screws up my coils (even mixing with the 50/50 juice) I aslo like the idea of changing tanks to vape different liquids. I'd love to have one with stronger nic salts for the mornings and/or one with lower nic for before bed. I can't afford all this right now, but it is incentive to earn more money.
HigherStateD, is that tank kit deal for real? Looked at it... hope the offer lasts awhile. Anyone recommend a cheap mod battery for this to get me started... older model, closeout, anything? I can always upgrade later.

@vaper1960 the eleaf iStick power is a very good mod. It has variable wattage and also has a big internal battery (which should last all day) so you don't need to buy batteries and a charger. If that is too much, just try to look for something from a reputable brand that has adjustable wattage. Also remember that many mods do require batteries, so check that first too. It's easier to buy something with an internal battery, whilst learning to vape, than having to learn about batteries too.

The darker and more gloopy a liquid, the quicker it tends to clog up coils in my experience. I believe sub-ohm's handle darker juice better, but as someone who just likes clear tobacco juice in the 10-15 watts range I've no need to go down that route!

• Agree
Reactions: My Batt Hurts

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
yorkslad, absolutely agree. I really need a mod... don't think I will be happy with AIO anymore. I do take "dry hits" between vaping and that helps, but having adjustable power would be great. Even the coil I am still using (that just started to get slight burnt taste) is doing better. I always mix some 50/50 with thicker juices. I have one thicker juice that is dark and sweet... can't use it, just screws up my coils (even mixing with the 50/50 juice) I aslo like the idea of changing tanks to vape different liquids. I'd love to have one with stronger nic salts for the mornings and/or one with lower nic for before bed. I can't afford all this right now, but it is incentive to earn more money.
HigherStateD, is that tank kit deal for real? Looked at it... hope the offer lasts awhile. Anyone recommend a cheap mod battery for this to get me started... older model, closeout, anything? I can always upgrade later.
That's a real deal. It only comes with one stock cool, but once you try out the RDA,well, I bought a drop dead rabbit, a dead rabbit sq, and a rebirth clone... They are MUCH easier to build on, and better quality too... But the nautilus X in that kit is still in my atty stand.

Sent from my XT1765 using Tapatalk

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
The iStick 40watt should be fine. By the way, I now enjoy my pockex again. No wonder I was only going through 2-3ml a day (and weak vape/flavor) I don't like having to tighten it so much... worried about the stress on top of battery. My wife just told me I could get another vapebox and I got some side jobs so I can save up and get a mod (reminds me of the old TV show "The Mod Squad")

Starting with low wattage really helps to break in coils, and once broken in they are harder to burn out. Just be wary as some models that feature variable wattage don't allow you to start it that low (the iStick 20W, for example, starts at 8W). Anyway, hope that you manage to find something that allows you to enjoy your vaping without having to worry about coils.

Reactions: HigherStateD

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Does the Nautilus X Tank have adjustable air flow? How does that work with mods?
Yes, adjustable airflow. It's controlled by a sliding ring above the glass tank. I don't see how the mod would interfere with the AF at all. Works fine on my topside.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Thank you. No mention of anything about airflow when I looked it up. Right now (for my pockex AIO) I have 0.6 ohm and 1.2 ohm coils. What works good in Nautilus X for MTL vaping? Seems like 1.5 ohm is popular.
Tbh, I'm not sure. The only coil I got with it is a 1.8, and it's decent enough. I'm really not the one to ask about MTL coils though, as I tried it out while building the RDA it came with, and just now to test it again, but haven't touched it since building.

Reactions: yorkslad

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
I can vouch for the iStick TC 40W mod. It's very easy to use and really comfortable.

The Nautilus X will use any of those coils, but the 1.5 ohm was not well regarded. That's the coil it launched with, and quite a lot of people thought it wasn't great for flavour and needed more power (wattage) to get going. The 1.8 was released a little later, possibly as a fix. It's good.

The 0.6 and 1.2 Pockex coils should also work well. Don't let me put you off the 1.5 - I thought it was OK (ish).

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
I can vouch for the iStick TC 40W mod. It's very easy to use and really comfortable.

The Nautilus X will use any of those coils, but the 1.5 ohm was not well regarded. That's the coil it launched with, and quite a lot of people thought it wasn't great for flavour and needed more power (wattage) to get going. The 1.8 was released a little later, possibly as a fix. It's good.

The 0.6 and 1.2 Pockex coils should also work well. Don't let me put you off the 1.5 - I thought it was OK (ish).
It might just be me and my DTA vaping style, but I can't seem to get this 1.8 right... What wattage would you recommend? All I get is lots of gurgling, and some vape, but only as much flavor as id get wide open on a .36 quad fused 28g ss @ 55w. I should whip up some 0 nic to test it though... MTL always makes me feel like I've smoked a cigar.

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
It might just be me and my DTA vaping style, but I can't seem to get this 1.8 right... What wattage would you recommend? All I get is lots of gurgling, and some vape, but only as much flavor as id get wide open on a .36 quad fused 28g ss @ 55w. I should whip up some 0 nic to test it though... MTL always makes me feel like I've smoked a cigar.

I think it's a fairly low power coil, so anywhere between (say) 8 and 15 watts. I usually settled at around 10 watts, because I prefer a tight draw that's not too warm.

Please don't get me wrong - I don't think the 1.8 is a flavour monster. It's just better than the 1.5. :)

I had no issues with gurgling, but I do recall people saying that the X coils should work well with high VG/thick liquids because of their large wicking holes.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
I think it's a fairly low power coil, so anywhere between (say) 8 and 15 watts. I usually settled at around 10 watts, because I prefer a tight draw that's not too warm.

Please don't get me wrong - I don't think the 1.8 is a flavour monster. It's just better than the 1.5. :)

I had no issues with gurgling, but I do recall people saying that the X coils should work well with high VG/thick liquids because of their large wicking holes.
Huh... Got me t to nothing below 15-18, and had to push it to 22 to get ANY flavor... I'm using 70% VG too... And itn not a weak flavor juice either... Djarum black clove cigarette...

Thank you. No mention of anything about airflow when I looked it up. Right now (for my pockex AIO) I have 0.6 ohm and 1.2 ohm coils. What works good in Nautilus X for MTL vaping? Seems like 1.5 ohm is popular.

I've not tried the Nautilus X, but like the Nautilus mini. However, they aren't that straightforward and can lead to further frustrations, especially flooding and the base locking (I don't know if the X is the same, though). Personally, I'd recommend the Aspire K3 with 1.8 coils. That should give you a nice safe base camp, and easy going vape, from where you can safely explore other tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread