Not open for further replies.

DeviantDe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2011
Sunnyside, Wa
www.facebook.com
So for the longest time I've been a clearo user, I still love my Arry tank, just can't get CE2's for it any more.
I've got rebuildables, but I don't always have the ability to put them together due to arthritis.
Tried the vivi nova, hated them. They always tasted burnt within a few hours, leaked, and would shove the connector pins on my mods down so they wouldn't work without messing with them or replacing parts, they got annoying really fast.

So finally I decided to try the Protank II. Seemed like a good theory, though I had tried bottom coil clearos in the past and didn't like them at all.

When it works, it's great.

But it's got a burnt taste by the end of the day and even after cleaning(including scrubbing everything surrounding the coil and long soaks in various things like water, vinegar, vinegar and baking soda, and vodka) it still tastes burnt. My arry tank ce2's would last for several days before tasting burnt and once cleaned, no burnt taste.

Every few replacement heads seems to be a leaking mess. I put a new one on today and got far more juice in my mouth than I got to vape. Luckily I had a 2 spares with me instead of just one like normal, and the new new one is fine for now.

So is there some trick to making these things last longer between cleanings?
How about getting rid of the burnt taste?
How about stopping the leaking ones?
Is there a better option? something in a top coil preferably glass tank maybe?

I need something I can just grab and go when I can't rebuild (which is often) that doesn't cost ridiculous amounts of money to get and maintain.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
If the rebuildables are a problem I guess trying to rewick a protank coil with cotton is out of the question.

The grabandgo alternative is to use a carto/cartotank system but that is going to be regular replacements of cartos - although some people report they only change a carto once a week; depends on the type of liquid used, plus a carto uses a big fat wick so it takes more to clogg them up I suppose.

If you use steel mesh wick on the rebuildable they last a long time; you just have to know how to do it properly.

v1k1ng1001

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Edinburg, TX
So is there some trick to making these things last longer between cleanings?
How about getting rid of the burnt taste?
How about stopping the leaking ones?
Is there a better option? something in a top coil preferably glass tank maybe?

I need something I can just grab and go when I can't rebuild (which is often) that doesn't cost ridiculous amounts of money to get and maintain.

1. Vape lighter juice with higher pg content.

2. Make sure you buy some silica wick and change out the flavor wicks after every tank.

3. Dry burn the coils after you clean them and then clean them again.

4. Upgrading to an aerobase helps a ton with leaking.

5. The above problems can be managed by adjusting your wicking.

6. Buy some Kanthal and rebuild the coils. They last a long time and instead of changing the head you just slide some cotton in after you dry burn. On top of that, a nanocoil and cotton build tastes 10x better. Oh, and it saves you a ton of $$$.

7. If this all sounds bogus invest in a carto tank--although it's gunna cost you in terms of buying fresh cartos.

DeviantDe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2011
Sunnyside, Wa
www.facebook.com
Yeah, I usually do ok with rebuildables but it seems like every time I finally lose a coil it's on a day that I can't even hold a pen so I can't get anything apart to replace the coil, arthritis sucks.

And my all time fave juice is super dark, 70 pg. Pretty much the only flavor I vape anymore. It seems to clog up carto's quick, and they seemed to mute the flavor a lot. I have a few carto tanks but I didn't like them because of that (and getting whole boxes of cartos that were busted/wouldn't fire right out of the box didn't help either)

I have silica wick and I do replace the flavor wick when cleaning, which is usually after 1.5 tanks of liquid. I soak or rinse or both, scrub any gunk off the metal, rinse again, dry burn thoroughly, rinse and dry burn again, then replace the flavor wicks.

I have the aerobase, so I guess it's more flooding than leaking, because it doesn't leak out the bottom (it would if I didn't have it) but when I get one of those "off" heads it does flood it and basically turns the darn thing into a straw.

I could try rebuilding and swapping out for cotton when my hands are functional. I'll just have to do a bunch at once so I have them ready for days when I can't mess with them.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Yeah, I usually do ok with rebuildables but it seems like every time I finally lose a coil it's on a day that I can't even hold a pen so I can't get anything apart to replace the coil, arthritis sucks.

And my all time fave juice is super dark, 70 pg. Pretty much the only flavor I vape anymore. It seems to clog up carto's quick, and they seemed to mute the flavor a lot. I have a few carto tanks but I didn't like them because of that (and getting whole boxes of cartos that were busted/wouldn't fire right out of the box didn't help either)

I have silica wick and I do replace the flavor wick when cleaning, which is usually after 1.5 tanks of liquid. I soak or rinse or both, scrub any gunk off the metal, rinse again, dry burn thoroughly, rinse and dry burn again, then replace the flavor wicks.

I have the aerobase, so I guess it's more flooding than leaking, because it doesn't leak out the bottom (it would if I didn't have it) but when I get one of those "off" heads it does flood it and basically turns the darn thing into a straw.

I could try rebuilding and swapping out for cotton when my hands are functional. I'll just have to do a bunch at once so I have them ready for days when I can't mess with them.

Well I dunno if topcoil versus bottom coil would make a difference with how fast a coil gunks up with a dark juice, but wth bottom coils, the liquid does tend to keep getting darker and darker as the coil gunks up becaue the coil is right down there at the bottom of the liquid; I guessing with a topcoil the liquid won't keep getting darker and darker, but as to whether the coil itself gunks up as fast I dunno.

But anyway if you do rewick protank coils already, maybe you should really try out a genesis rebuildable; you'd need to torch the steel mesh good and proper so it doesn't short out the coil, but the mesh will work for weeks for sure, and some people say months.

refilling might be a pita though on some of them. most likely requiring a syringe.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Single cotton wicks (no flavor wicks) have been the answer to all my Protank gurgling and leaking issues. I normally do a bunch at one time so that could work for you when your hands are feeling better.

Yup; me too.

Although the last few days I've been experimenting with sort of wrapping back over the two sides into flavor top wicks before putting the spire on, and then clipping the excess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread