RDA hcigar magma short problem :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

flaming_gnat

Mar 22, 2014
canada
recently got the hcigar magma black dripper, very impressed so far but i'm getting strange shorts out of it. using this with a heatvape invader mod. here's some pics for fun:

magma8.jpg

b25ae1c888d5a36bc9f235f6d9ef35d8.jpg

picture's worth a thousand words right?

now here's the weird part....if it screw the magma rba down snugly (as in not super tight or anything) i get a short as displayed by the invader, with the short protection it locks out as it should. however, it i screw it down loosely so it just barely makes a connection there is no short!

i've tried an innokin VF RBA and a kanger genitank on this with no short issues, so its safe to assume problem is with the magma.

the positive (middle) terminal on the magma is a screw type. tried winding it out a bit and doesn't change much of anything. taking it out just reveals the plastic insulator which appear intact.

any thoughts on this? seems very strange to me. FYI current build is a dual coil 26 GA and comes out to 0.7ohm. same build in the VF, again no issues there.

i've been using the magma about a week or two and this is a new issue that has cropped up.

thanks guys.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Make sure your 510 pin is in tight. It holds your positive post.

I'm trying to troubleshoot a magma clone for a friend right now that's been intermittingly shorting for her. So far its working fine for me on all mods, so not sure what to think.

It is possible there is some metal shard from machining causing this issue. I think that's what was wrong with the one here and it came out when she washed it good to send it to me.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
recently got the hcigar magma black dripper, very impressed so far but i'm getting strange shorts out of it. using this with a heatvape invader mod. here's some pics for fun:

magma8.jpg

b25ae1c888d5a36bc9f235f6d9ef35d8.jpg

picture's worth a thousand words right?

now here's the weird part....if it screw the magma RBA down snugly (as in not super tight or anything) i get a short as displayed by the invader, with the short protection it locks out as it should. however, it i screw it down loosely so it just barely makes a connection there is no short!

i've tried an innokin VF RBA and a kanger genitank on this with no short issues, so its safe to assume problem is with the magma.

the positive (middle) terminal on the magma is a screw type. tried winding it out a bit and doesn't change much of anything. taking it out just reveals the plastic insulator which appear intact.

any thoughts on this? seems very strange to me. FYI current build is a dual coil 26 GA and comes out to 0.7ohm. same build in the VF, again no issues there.

i've been using the magma about a week or two and this is a new issue that has cropped up.

thanks guys.

instead of winding it out a bit maybe try screwing it in a bit.
maybe your magma has the positive pin sticking out more than the innokin vf RBA and the kanger genitank.
Look at the three of them and see if you see any similarity/differences in how far out or in the pin is.

flaming_gnat

Mar 22, 2014
canada
well i've tried both and no luck. i suspect it might be the invader now though. VF works on it, but i noticed that when i started to screw it down it reports a short....settles on 0.7 ohm where it should (same coil build) and then if i screw it out again the resistance goes all over the place - when there's no connection. then the stupid thing was even reporting a short with nothing it it!

why its consistently short with the magma who knows. i'll visit my local store and try another mod

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Short:
Center pin and outside metal making contact
Likely cause - Center pin(magma) sitting recessed or dead Flush
Possibly - Magma grommet soft enough to allow center pin to move upward to Flush/recess
Confirm by extending Center pin to have slight extension
:)

It happens. I blew the spring out if a Mod tightening a Trident down. Pin collapsed and caused an instant short when fired. :facepalm:

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Just resolved a identical/similiar issue with Magma on DNA30 (clones). Found the problem was with the insulator on the 510 pin (i.e. positive post) for the DNA30. I first notice the pin was depressed into the insulator. When I tried to raise the pin, the insulator split.pulled into two pieces (with a top "ring" and balance around shaft). Found an matching insulator on a ego to 510 adapter and was able to replace the insulator on DNA's 510 pin. No more shorts.... Check for this issue with yours.

flaming_gnat

Mar 22, 2014
canada
thanks for the replies everyone, i do appreciate the help. unfortunately i've checked these things and no luck. there's no contact with the pin and outer threads of the 510 connection. insulator sleeve appears to be fine, removed it last night. the center pin is actually a screw so there's no chance of it moving and it can easily adjust its depth without any fear of the pin moving. i've tried moving the pin out so it sticks out quite a bit and still have the same issue which makes no sense.

i'm wondering of the invader resistance meter is faulty and detecting shorts when there is none...i'll still have to try the magma on another mod to confirm its ok or not. maybe its time to get myself a hexohm :)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
thanks for the replies everyone, i do appreciate the help. unfortunately i've checked these things and no luck. there's no contact with the pin and outer threads of the 510 connection. insulator sleeve appears to be fine, removed it last night. the center pin is actually a screw so there's no chance of it moving and it can easily adjust its depth without any fear of the pin moving. i've tried moving the pin out so it sticks out quite a bit and still have the same issue which makes no sense.

i'm wondering of the invader resistance meter is faulty and detecting shorts when there is none...i'll still have to try the magma on another mod to confirm its ok or not. maybe its time to get myself a hexohm :)

insulator sleeve on the mod.

common problem on ego batteries and regulated mods.

that's why mechs come with adjustable center pin instead.

Nick N

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
I have the Hcigar Magma and after screwing it in too tight on the Vamo v5 I had to replace the stock ring around the Vamo's 510 pin with a thick rubber ring from Home Depot. Danco #60 I think. The Hcigar Magma has a long connector (maybe all Magma clones do?), and I screwed it in too tight trying to get it flush. No issues on the Nemesis or the Vamo after doing the rubber insulator "upgrade". Still my favorite atomizer of all time, I keep coming back to it because it just works. Good luck.

I just purchased a infinite magma clone and I'm having the exact same issues as you on my I stick. Leave it a little loose and it's fine but tighten it and it displays atomizer short 0.0ohm I took it apart and checked everything, I don't see any issues. Also played with the center post and it makes no difference. If I leave it loose and its displaying my norm resistance 1.8ohm and then press down on the drip tip my istick will show a short. Not sure what the issue is but its a pita!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread