Head Scratcher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malkuth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2013
Gray, TN, USA
This is a rather unique REO problem I thought I would post here to see if anyone has any ideas......

The Subject:
45+ smoker PAD.
Vaper for 2 years, exclusively the last 18 months.
Absolute MTL vaper.​
The Hardware:
REO (Grand) with RM2 running 1.2 ohms. Air hole at 1/16. ReadyXwick.
OliveR with RM2 running 1.2 ohms. Air hole at 1/16. ReadyXwick.
Joytech eGrip running ~8W. (This is btw, the absolute best, IMHO, device for a new user. With the announcement of a rba for this device, it gets even better, and can provide a path to transition vapers.)​
The Problem:

When I first began vaping, I had difficulties with Nic in any levels greater than 12mg. (The heart medications I am on cause heartburn, so I am always on the verge of severe problems. I was prescribed Omeprazole, which I take religiously.) I would get immediate severe heartburn. It did not matter the manufacturer, device, flavor or pg/vg ratio. I would get the heartburn just by test vaping in the shop. So, all things considered, I settled on 6mg of Nicotine. Fast forward two years to today. I am now experiencing this severe heartburn when vaping on my REO (only). I am using the exact same juice (from the same bottle) in all three devices. The batteries (18650) are AW IMR. all purchased at the same time, and used interchangeably between the REO and OliveR. Only when I vape off of the REO do I experience this heartburn. I can also state that the REO hits harder than the other two devices. (Which must be a design difference between the REO and the OliveR, as they are set up identically.) When dry burning my coils, I can also visually see that the coil heats up hotter and faster in the REO than the OliveR. (I do not dry burn the eGrip.) The coils are made the exact same way for the last 18 months or so, using the exact same wire off of the same spool. Both coils measure the same with my Multimeter, and are placed on the RM2 identically. The temperature of the vapor is the same between the REO and the OliveR. (Obviously since the eGrip is running a slightly lower wattage atomizer, it is a slightly cooler vape.) Not that it matters (in this instance), but I am running High VG (80-95%) juice.

This difficulty has be coming on slowly, and has only been noticeable (and trackable) in the last 3 months. I am beginning to think that I either need to lower my Nic again, or raise the resistance of the coil for the REO.

ETA: Does anyone have any ideas? If not, which of the two that I offered would you recommend and why?

Last edited:

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
First clean the contacts on the OliveR, it should have a lower voltage drop and be the one to hit harder. Have you tried swapping the RM2 to see if the issue follows the RM2?

Is this the same coil or have you made a new one and still get the issue?

Same drip tip on both?

Have you taken the RM2 apart and given it a complete cleaning under the ceramic deck?

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...2-full-atomizer-itself-rebuild-pic-heavy.html

malkuth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2013
Gray, TN, USA
First clean the contacts on the OliveR, it should have a lower voltage drop and be the one to hit harder. Have you tried swapping the RM2 to see if the issue follows the RM2?

Rotating RM2's between the two mods makes no difference. Cleaning the OliveR has no effect on the fact that the REO hits harder. This was true when the OliveR was brand new. (So, I know it is not my cleaning skills. *g*)

Is this the same coil or have you made a new one and still get the issue?

The problem is consistent across coils.

Same drip tip on both?
Yes.

Have you taken the RM2 apart and given it a complete cleaning under the ceramic deck?
No. See above answer concerning swapping RM2's between mods.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...2-full-atomizer-itself-rebuild-pic-heavy.html

Maybe I just have a unique REO that operates beyond spec. *g* I have noticed that I get twice the coil life from the OliveR than the REO. The REO will burn a coil in half the time that the OliveR does. I go through 2 or 3 coils on my REO while using the same one on the OliveR.

malkuth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2013
Gray, TN, USA
Do you have a multimeter or doohickey to test the voltage at the RM2 post while firing?

3.90/4.03 for OliveR, 3.92/4.06 for REO.
For my calculations, that is a drop of 0.13 for the OliveR and 0.14 for the REO. In my book, that is pretty much a wash.

ETA: That should eliminate the question of a dirty atomizer (or a non-performing one).

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
I'd say try a couple of things (perhaps in this order)....

* Adjust the coil in the RM2 you want to use on the reo. Moving the coil up or down, even just slightly, will change the vape characteristics.

* Try a longer and/or narrower drip tip. I've experienced drastic changes in the vape doing this.

* Try a coil with 1 or two more wraps.

* Try lower nic juice.

Hope you get this sorted.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
malkuth my husband has been on prescription heartburn meds for years and years and about a year ago began having bad heartburn again after years of having it under control. It turned out that when he had picked up that most recent refill of his meds the pharmacy substituted another generic med in place of the generic he had been using, without telling him, and that's what caused it. The pharmacy gave him a super hard time about it stating that the two generics should work exactly the same, well they don't. This may be something you want to look into.

If you were given a substitute med or if your pharmacy switched to a different brand the efficiency of your Reo could be what's causing your heartburn to break through. The newer med may not be "strong" enough to fight off the nic the same way your usual med does.

Just an idea.

JetMac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
Valdosta, GA, USA
I hate when pharmacies do that. My wife is on a pain patch and some pretty strong narcotics to help her stabilize her chronic illness. The pharmacy we use has done that to us a few times and every time she gets an off brand from what she's normally on, she just feels terrible and struggles.

It's gotten to the point where her meds stop working and she has to be hospitalized. Then we find out the pharmacy switched brands on us. What she did was have her doctor tell the pharmacy that she can only be prescribed certain brands and that if they can't supply the meds of her brand then she needs to be told so that we could go somewhere else to have it filled. Some times it's hard to have all her scripts filled but at least she's not hurting when we get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
3.90/4.03 for OliveR, 3.92/4.06 for REO.
For my calculations, that is a drop of 0.13 for the OliveR and 0.14 for the REO. In my book, that is pretty much a wash.

ETA: That should eliminate the question of a dirty atomizer (or a non-performing one).
Agreed that this close enough to not matter and since you have already swapped the RM2s it's got to be something with the reo itself. Try completely cleaning the Reo and RM2, leave the bottle empty and only drip in the RM2 to see if it goes away. If so something in the tube or bottle is the problem.

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
Malkuth, sorry to hear your problems buddy and I'm pretty much lost with this to tell you the truth. Only thing I can think of which perhaps is worth trying is changing the size of your airhole. Perhaps making your airhole larger will mild out the vape and also make it easier to inhale. Frankly I don't know, I'm guessing here pal but I just can't think of anything else which will give a chance of change.
If you decide giving a larger airhole a try I would do it on the RM2 as Rob has replacement one's with no airhole which users can drill out as they want. If you do try enlarging the airhole just do it little by little as obviously there's no going back
Wish you the best

This is a rather unique REO problem I thought I would post here to see if anyone has any ideas......

The Subject:
45+ smoker PAD.
Vaper for 2 years, exclusively the last 18 months.
Absolute MTL vaper.​
The Hardware:
REO (Grand) with RM2 running 1.2 ohms. Air hole at 1/16. ReadyXwick.
OliveR with RM2 running 1.2 ohms. Air hole at 1/16. ReadyXwick.
Joytech eGrip running ~8W. (This is btw, the absolute best, IMHO, device for a new user. With the announcement of a RBA for this device, it gets even better, and can provide a path to transition vapers.)​
The Problem:

When I first began vaping, I had difficulties with Nic in any levels greater than 12mg. (The heart medications I am on cause heartburn, so I am always on the verge of severe problems. I was prescribed Omeprazole, which I take religiously.) I would get immediate severe heartburn. It did not matter the manufacturer, device, flavor or pg/vg ratio. I would get the heartburn just by test vaping in the shop. So, all things considered, I settled on 6mg of Nicotine. Fast forward two years to today. I am now experiencing this severe heartburn when vaping on my REO (only). I am using the exact same juice (from the same bottle) in all three devices. The batteries (18650) are AW IMR. all purchased at the same time, and used interchangeably between the REO and OliveR. Only when I vape off of the REO do I experience this heartburn. I can also state that the REO hits harder than the other two devices. (Which must be a design difference between the REO and the OliveR, as they are set up identically.) When dry burning my coils, I can also visually see that the coil heats up hotter and faster in the REO than the OliveR. (I do not dry burn the eGrip.) The coils are made the exact same way for the last 18 months or so, using the exact same wire off of the same spool. Both coils measure the same with my Multimeter, and are placed on the RM2 identically. The temperature of the vapor is the same between the REO and the OliveR. (Obviously since the eGrip is running a slightly lower wattage atomizer, it is a slightly cooler vape.) Not that it matters (in this instance), but I am running High VG (80-95%) juice.

This difficulty has be coming on slowly, and has only been noticeable (and trackable) in the last 3 months. I am beginning to think that I either need to lower my Nic again, or raise the resistance of the coil for the REO.

ETA: Does anyone have any ideas? If not, which of the two that I offered would you recommend and why?

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
The key is he can switch RM2s on the mods and the problem stays with the Reo. So it cannot be coil placement or airhole. When he reads the voltage at the post heads they are close enough to not matter either. So if it is the same juice in both it has to be something about the Reo that is causing the problem.

either his vape style is different with longer hits or more hits, more often or something on or in the Reo.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Just wondering here.

Do you use the REO at certain times of the day exclusively?

Is is usual to use both devices, taking a hit off one than the other?

Is the heartburn happening a specific time of the day?

Have you only vaped the OR for a whole day and not experienced heartburn?

malkuth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2013
Gray, TN, USA
Note that I have 3 devices I use. Here is my vape style.....
I will squonk either the Reo or the OliveR. Then I will vape it until the need to squonk again, at which time I will set it down and grab the next. Pretty muchly, the eGrip is used when I am out and about for errands, or whatever. If I am going to be gone for all day, then I take at least 2 of the three. I try to insure that I am not squonking on a hot/warm coil.

There have been times when I have used one mod for all day. Again, the only one I get the heartburn on is the Reo. Heartburn is not restricted to a specific time of day.

When I rebuild the coil again on the Reo, I will add an extra wrap and see what happens.

Thanks for all your responses. It is nice to have a place to ask about vaping related questions!

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Note that I have 3 devices I use. Here is my vape style.....
I will squonk either the Reo or the OliveR. Then I will vape it until the need to squonk again, at which time I will set it down and grab the next. Pretty muchly, the eGrip is used when I am out and about for errands, or whatever. If I am going to be gone for all day, then I take at least 2 of the three. I try to insure that I am not squonking on a hot/warm coil.

There have been times when I have used one mod for all day. Again, the only one I get the heartburn on is the Reo. Heartburn is not restricted to a specific time of day.

When I rebuild the coil again on the Reo, I will add an extra wrap and see what happens.

Thanks for all your responses. It is nice to have a place to ask about vaping related questions!

Thank you for your answers!

I have a hiatal hernia. That means part of my stomach pushes up through my diaphragm. I am prone to acid reflux, or heartburn. It is so bad sometimes that I can't even sit down. I have walked the floor for hours before it ceases.

The reason I say all of that is just to let you know I totally understand your problem.

There are times when I feel heartburn developing and any vaping will make it worse. I only have REO's and can't know if a different PV would do the same.

As has been mentioned by others, the drip tip does play a important role. For me the small bore tips are more prone to give a stronger hit because the vapor is concentrated and compressed as it moves up the tip. I noticed a more forceful draw will provide lots more flavor with a small bore tip. I vape a coil on the RM2 at about 1.05-1.1 ohms. The air hole on my RM2's are stock. Sometimes with a small bore tip vaping right after squonking I almost feel like I am sucking the juice right up the tip even though I am not.

My nic is at 28mg now. I use to do 36 but in the last year I have had to lower it. Not because of heartburn, but because it just got to be way to harsh. The RM2 I feel played a big part in having to lower my nic.

I really do hope you find a solution for this problem. I know it is very frustrating for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread