health aspects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youdoofus

Apr 16, 2019
trying to find out what the deal with the mythical "popcorn lung" thing is. a gal ive been working with for the last 8 years was giving me hell about switching from smoking to vaping, and when i asked her why she doesnt do the same, she said that she doesnt "want to get popcorn lung".

The interwebz has had a mishmash of results saying its crap and some warning against it adamantly. Some are really stupid too, like saying "it kills 403.773% of people who vape" (of course, i made that part up to show how ridiculous some of their claima re, but you get my point)

so, have any of you known anyone who has suffered any medical maladies from vaping?

Reactions: GOMuniEsq

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Vaping is too new to say for certain if there will be ill effects in a decade or 3.

I just tell scoffers "well I'm no longer inhaling carbon monoxide and carpet glue" (the glue is rumoured to be on the cigarette paper that causes it to go out by itself)

Last edited:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi,
Smokers are more likely to get it (BO) than vapers. PERIOD.

Table 1. Average inhaled daily diacetyl dose associated with smoking vs. vaping
Vaping: 9 micrograms
Smoking: 6718 micrograms (approx 700 times more than vaping)

Cheers
I

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hi,
Smokers are more likely to get it (BO) than vapers. PERIOD.

Table 1. Average inhaled daily diacetyl dose associated with smoking vs. vaping
Vaping: 9 micrograms
Smoking: 6718 micrograms

Cheers
I
Not seeing a table 1. Missing link or my head is even fluffier than normal today.

Reactions: Izan

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Not seeing a table 1. Missing link or my head is even fluffier than normal today.
You don't see a table? I see a table...

Sorry, no...no table! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
I cherry picked it from a study I found somewhere, one time, on the internet. :p
I copied the quote as text and not an image, so the table was not preserved.
I think you could search the string and get some further info. :thumbs:

Cheers
I

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
'Popcorn lung' is propaganda to sow fear, uncertainty and doubt (FUD) in prospective vapers. Invented by Anti Nicotine and Tobacco Zealots (ANTZ) who want to de-normalize vaping as they did tobacco use. See: Snopes. Diacetyl is an ingredient found in butter flavoring that is safe to eat but not to inhale. Every e-juice manufacturer has already phased it out. And yes, cigarettes contain 700 times more of it than the worse e-juice ever did. There's something similar happening now with ceramic coils and silicosis a.k.a. "miner's lung".

It's par for the course, and not a concern if you see vaping as harm reduction.

There is a crusty old gal where I work too, who says vaping is a great way to get popcorn lung, as she puffs on her cigarettes. :blink: I just smile and say I'm not worried about it.

Last edited:

Vape Muppet

Apr 12, 2019
UK
That whole popcorn lung thing was attributed to Diacetyl which was banned in the UK. In fact popcorn lung originally started in... a popcorn factory and had nothing to do with vaping. Personally if I was around that stuff 24/7 I'd likely feel sick too, can't stand it.

In all seriousness I think you'd have to inhale a great deal of it to have a noticeable affect on your health.

This is what Cancer Research UK has to say about it:

A few studies, published around 2015, looked at whether e-cigarette liquids available at the time contained diacetyl. They found that a large proportion of e-liquid flavours tested did contain some level of diacetyl. The idea that e-cigarettes could cause popcorn lung came from these studies.

However, this study didn’t look at whether there was a link between e-cigarette use and popcorn lung in people. So far, there’s no good evidence that e-cigarettes could cause popcorn lung.

In the UK, diacetyl was banned in e-cigarette liquid under the EU Tobacco Products Directive (TPD) in 2016. So, e-liquids sold in the UK shouldn’t contain diacetyl. Current research finds that e-cigarettes are far less harmful than smoking and there’s growing evidence they may help some people to quit.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
First Bronchiolitis obliterans (aka popcorn lung) has many different causes (too numerous to list). However there have only been 9 reported cases ever that were supposedly caused by diacetyl. 8 of those were all workers in a single popcorn factory (out of thousands of factories) and they were breathing in a lot on a daily basis. The other was a man that ate popcorn daily and claimed that is what caused his ailment. Beyond these suspected cases it has never been proved that diacetyl causes popcorn lung and no one else has ever supposedly gotten popcorn lung from exposure to diacetyl. Since around 2007 most flavoring manufacturers have stopped or at least reduced using diacetyl anyway. So the likelyhood of you getting popcorn lung from vaping is EXTREMELY low and if you did manage to do that, you would be the FIRST person to ever do so and the 10th person in history to contract it from diacetyl exposure. Me personally, I am not worried.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
We currently live in the era of social media "fake news" and "junk science".

A lot of internet media news is nothing more than "click bait" to ecourage you to go to a website to pump up "hits". When you go on to read the so called news story you generally will find that the study is flawed in some way. Always consider the source of the information, who funded or sponsored the study. A lot of the information is simply propaganda by Big Tobacco, Big Pharma, or other anti-vaping organizations.

The UK seems to do a better job of releasing reputable studies.

10 Research Studies to Silence the Vape Skeptics

Myths vs Facts on Vaping

Concerning the "pop corn lung" phenomenon and vaping. There is no documentation ANYWHERE that anyone got pop corn lung from vaping. In fact, the only people who has gotten it were the employees who worked in a butter popcorn factory.

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
When I think of the health aspects of vaping vs smoking I think about my own experience. I became a gym rat about a year before I switched to vaping...working out daily. Working out while smoking always left me with breathing issues, heavy breathing, panting, unable to catch my breath when hitting the gym hard. After switching to vaping those issues went away. Now when I work out I do not have those breathing problems that I had when I was still smoking.

Reactions: GOMuniEsq

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
...so, have any of you known anyone who has suffered any medical maladies from vaping?

My sample is small (2 people) but my results are close to zero. Vaping near 10 years and all I got is A tiny bit of thicker mucus buildup and some dry mouth. Both the same source I suspect. Base is hydrophilic. That’s literally it though. Ask again in another 10 years.

As to popcorn lung welcome to the wonderful world of the amazing power of BT.

Popcorn lung was the closest thing anyone had to a medical problem caused by vaping. Happened a looong time ago. Long Before Deeming regulations. It actually helped cause deeming I think.

Anyway as I remember it, and this may be BS too because the superpower of BT is their ability to spray BS like a firehose out of places you wouldn’t expect and cost literally everything. I do not consider myself immune. All I can do is occasionally sniff for it.

My memory of the story:
there was one(1) guy in the UK who vaped tremendous amounts of a flavor called butterfinger which apparently(was not confirmed that I saw) had a lot of a flavor called dydactyl in it.
He got really seriously sick with lung problems. There is some argument as to whether or not this even actually happened at all. That whole seminal event might have been crap to begin with.

Anyway there was this gigantic hoohaa about oil in vapes. It had some scientific merit. Popcorn lung, or parafin lung, as it is known in Britain is known medically as lipid pneumonia. It’s nasty. It happens when you breathe some kinds of aerosolized oils for a long long time (years) dydactyl is one such oil that can do it.

There are problems.

1) Vaping hadn’t been around long enough to make the guy sick for one thing. Popcorn lung is really slow
2) nobody can actually find the guy. They’ve tried. Nothing.

So basically it might have all been total BS from BT in the first place.

None the less, a regulation came down from the FDA that all the vape juice shall be checked each unto the shop and brand whence it was born, that no oils or anything not GRAS be allowed. Thus in the city of Washington the deeming regulations were Bourne unto us vapers. (the King James Bible is a terrible and grotesquely misleading bible translation but it does read pretty)

What the seeming regulations did was make DANG SURE that there wasn’t anything dangerous in vape juice flavorings. Including dydactyl.

So basically this: popcorn lung and vaping is total and complete BS.
It was very possibly always BS, but even if it at one time wasn’t (getting more doubtful as time passes) it is now. For sure. And has been ever since seeming regulations. Which are years old now.

It is and possibly was always marketing crap and anyone pushing it is either themselves lying or being deceived by people that are.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Its your head being fluffy. :D *flees*
upload_2019-4-18_13-54-36.jpg

Good to know. Still can’t find it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread