Heat Treatment/Torching to Color Stainless Steel and Titanium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2009
Spa City, AR
I've seen that vid, Vapant. if I had a titanium mod, I would definitely try that. Seems much easier than aluminum anodizing.

I found another pic of the new nemesis mod. From what I gather, this uniform color is from some kind of heat treatment in a kiln or oven. Temperature or length of time in the oven seem to determine the color. For instance, you might put parts in there until they just barely glow for a second then take them out and they would be uniform blue every time that way.

32382_127850867406601_1271135863_n.jpg

TrainingDummy

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
Temple, Texas, United States
I love how the blues and purples came out a little bit. That AGA looks cooler than some $300 attys out there.

Thanks a million. I love the way it turned out. Just wish I had a ss tube for it so I could make it look a little more uniform. I think the stock tube looks sweet now though.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Interesting read commie, seems as though there will be a lot of trial and error involved. i'm going to get some SS tubes and a propane torch and test out some of the things I've read someday.

I think what you will find is that Different Temperature yield Different Results. But also, how clean the Metal is Before you Heat the Metal.

Try doing a test piece that has been Oiled Lightly. And then try doing one that has been cleaned with Acetone.

You also find that Different SS Alloys will yield Different Results. Remember, Stainless Steel is a Family of Metal Alloys that contain Both Chromium and Nickel. SS is Not a Singular Metal Alloy.

The Exact Percentage of Chromium and Nickel is Debatable. But many don't consider an Alloy to be SS unless it has At Least 13% Chromium and 3% Nickel.

BTW - The percentage of Chromium will Rarely Exceed 20%. Because after 20%, Very Few Benefits of adding Chromium are seen.

Sero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2009
Spa City, AR
When anodizing titanium, a thin layer builds up on the surface of the titanium and reflects light causing us to see color. The colors change based on the thickness of that layer and the amount of voltage applied to the titanium. I am sure the exact same thing is occurring when we heat treat SS and titanium mods. The torch/heat creates a layer that reflects light resulting in color. These layers are often very thin especially with anodized titanium that was done at low voltages. The finish can be rubbed off and eventually re-done, or it can be covered in some kind of protective clear coat.

There are color charts for titanium and SS out there to find out how much temperature/voltage to use to get a certain color. But as zoiDman said, The exact color obtained when performing these techniques can depend largely on the piece that is being treated.

Last edited:

cmacclel

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Boston
Interesting asdaq, I have heard of that method from a show about knife making. They would use the method to get a very pretty colored damascus grain pattern on knives. I will have to research it some more, but if it is possible with our tubes, we could get some interesting looks. It would definitely require a master craftsman though. This is pretty advanced stuff from what i gather.

Here is the knife I'm talking about. It's titanium, but I think its possible with SS as well. Imagine a PV like this:
BeggBodegaTimDam.jpg

That is Chad Nichols Moku-Ti. It's $950 per foot of 1" rod. I order SS Damascus from him all the time. It's brutal to work with but comes out nice. Also Moku-Ti is etched via chemical....it's called multi etch.

iamlenb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2013
Seattle, Washington
I think that treating titanium with nitric acid acid bath will etch and leave a gold tone. I know thats how my lady's titanium gold bicycle chain was done...

For aluminum body mods, google colored home aluminum anodizing. There are kits for a hundred bucks that can do bicycle and car parts, wouldn't be hard to dip a mod body in there either. Purple eVic? Hmmm... I have a couple of silver tubes to play with *ponders*

cmacclel

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Boston
I think that treating titanium with nitric acid acid bath will etch and leave a gold tone. I know thats how my lady's titanium gold bicycle chain was done...

For aluminum body mods, google colored home aluminum anodizing. There are kits for a hundred bucks that can do bicycle and car parts, wouldn't be hard to dip a mod body in there either. Purple eVic? Hmmm... I have a couple of silver tubes to play with *ponders*

If you want to play with anodizing I have everything you need I'll almost give it away minus the power supply..........pm me.

kamil99

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Yeah I took a torch to it. Spun it slowly by hand on a piece of metal held my vice grips. Definite hand crampage. I spun it and constantly moved the torch up and down the tube. waited for color to appear. I wanted orange but I missed it since I was doing it outside in the sun. First shot was an agaL cap that went purple.

Important part: the cors change rapidly so careful of too much heat in one spot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

reign70

Jul 15, 2013
Chicago
so i did this today on a whim after turning my igoL top cap purple. they were just about identical twins until now...

9ClLkhk.jpg

This is the best DIY torch job I have seen. Looks great just a question I'm trying to get a black color I have heard the last color is black would you happen to know? I think it goes amber, red, blue, purple, black but I am not sure. any thoughts

reign70

Jul 15, 2013
Chicago
thanks!
on the color note, i'm not sure. the only practice piece i had before i went for the sigelei tube was an aga-L top cap. i stopped when got to purple. i suppose maybe today i'll retorch that cap and see if i can get it to go black.

yes please thanks for the trial run and letting me know... bc if the last color is black and thats what I want it takes away from the possible uneven torching issue that I may run in too. Another question do you think torching changes the properties of the metal I wonder if voltage drop improves, worsens, or stays the same.

Sero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2009
Spa City, AR
Heat treatment forms an oxide layer on Stainless and some other metals like titanium. It is almost like you are anodizing with a torch. This layer affects light and as it gets thicker, colors change. With Stainless it goes from various shades of Bronze>purple>blue. A greenish color should be after blue, haven't seen that color much though because it requires very high temps to achieve. For an easy way to get uniformity, use a drill to rotate the piece while evenly torching. This layer can rub off over time, it can be protected with a clear coat or clear wrap of some kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread