Heat Treatment/Torching to Color Stainless Steel and Titanium

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunchb0x47

Sep 10, 2012
ontario
Hey manji I pulled some info from a facebook post a long time ago. Made by some guy who torches mods in a kiln or oven. He said it doesn't take very long, whenever your piece gets up to temp take it out. Don't know how good it works I haven't done it myself yet, about to go try tho ^.^

. Awesome"................... Pale Yellow----300°F
Bright Yellow—350°F
Straw Yellow---400°F
Dark Straw Yellow--425°F
Bronze------------450°F
Purple------------475°F
Violet------------500°F
Dark Blue-------525°F
Light Blue------550°F
”Clear” (Very Light) Blue---575°F

Sero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2009
Spa City, AR
Here is a titanium Bagua/Axiom that I anodized using 6 9v batteries. I do not recommend that by the way, get a power supply if you anodize titanium. Much easier and safer. Anodizing titanium is the same thing as torching titanium or Stainless Steel. The heat from the electricity/torch forms that oxide layer and reflects light which our eyes see as different colors. Aluminum is different because dye has to be added to get color. I decided to anodize instead of torch because I could get a more uniform result. In the end, it probably would have been just fine either way.

bh1.jpg

VIPOD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
NB,Canada
Here is a titanium Bagua/Axiom that I anodized using 6 9v batteries. I do not recommend that by the way, get a power supply if you anodize titanium. Much easier and safer. Anodizing titanium is the same thing as torching titanium or Stainless Steel. The heat from the electricity/torch forms that oxide layer and reflects light which our eyes see as different colors. Aluminum is different because dye has to be added to get color. I decided to anodize instead of torch because I could get a more uniform result. In the end, it probably would have been just fine either way.

bh1.jpg

That's it! the finish I wish!

I tried torching on my Sigelei 8W and UD AGI yesterday evening. I was going for a kind of golden patina finish, and I think it turned out pretty decent considering I did it pretty much in the dark on the balcony and with a small, pen-style welding torch. Here's the result:

sigelei_agi_toho.jpg

There are a couple of darker spots here and there, but I really don't mind since the aged-kind-of look was exactly what I wanted.

Reactions: anavidfan

AveryJ

May 29, 2013
United States
Well, here are my initial results. I used an old oven I keep in the barn for occasional projects.

I pre-heated the oven to 550 and put the parts as centered as possible. Remember though, SS is conductive. So it will transfer the heat to whatever it can! Be it a pan or the rack itself. In this case, the 550 degree oven gave me results of heating the SS up to 450 degrees. I left it in for about 45 mins, but I don't think that was necessary, as I was at a good yellow in about 5 mins.

View attachment 277507

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it!

View attachment 277508

A little bit around the etching was not to even. That's about it.

And remember, this process is creating an oxidation layer on top of the steel. So, if you are not happy with it, take a little scotch-brite to is and it will back to a brushed finish in no time!

Texaslimo

Woof!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
TX
Well, here are my initial results. I used an old oven I keep in the barn for occasional projects.

I pre-heated the oven to 550 and put the parts as centered as possible. Remember though, SS is conductive. So it will transfer the heat to whatever it can! Be it a pan or the rack itself. In this case, the 550 degree oven gave me results of heating the SS up to 450 degrees. I left it in for about 45 mins, but I don't think that was necessary, as I was at a good yellow in about 5 mins.

View attachment 277507

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it!

View attachment 277508

A little bit around the etching was not to even. That's about it.

And remember, this process is creating an oxidation layer on top of the steel. So, if you are not happy with it, take a little scotch-brite to is and it will back to a brushed finish in no time!
the links for your pics are broken..

Hey manji I pulled some info from a facebook post a long time ago. Made by some guy who torches mods in a kiln or oven. He said it doesn't take very long, whenever your piece gets up to temp take it out. Don't know how good it works I haven't done it myself yet, about to go try tho ^.^

. Awesome"................... Pale Yellow----300°F
Bright Yellow—350°F
Straw Yellow---400°F
Dark Straw Yellow--425°F
Bronze------------450°F
Purple------------475°F
Violet------------500°F
Dark Blue-------525°F
Light Blue------550°F
”Clear” (Very Light) Blue---575°F

Oh man! thank you for this! Like alot!

sumoman25

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2011
South Dakota
Since no one has mentioned this yet, the color doesn't appear until you've taken the torch off the steel/titanium. The color will appear around the area the torch is focused on but that color won't be the exact same as the color of the area the torch is focused on. Also, it isn't always necessary to make the steel glow to achieve a color change, try heating it up slowly and stop before it glows.

The best way I've found to get a uniform look is to attack the piece with a torch from the top, never from the sides. Put your piece on a chunk of ceramic to support it, and if your piece has a hole going down the middle (drip tip, rba top caps etc.) then the ceramic will block the heat from escaping out of the bottom, giving you a more even finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread