Moonwalker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2012
Belgrade, Serbia
Hi guys,

2 days ago I have received my Ody and I still didn't waped on him. :ohmy:

I remembered that on few topics I seen stories that ceramics should be torched before putting Ody in to use. So, before I make something stupid (as I did with UFS) and avoiding to read through out hundreds of pages, can someone tell me something about this process?

How it should be done, for how long, can ceramics crack from too much heat etc? And I don't have anything at my home which I would use to do this easy, so can it be done with regular lighter? And if I'm doing it on gas burner, how long should I torched it?

Thank you.

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
If it's a brand new ceramic, yeah. Just make sure to get the flame to the inside and everything.
If it's a very used ceramic, I've found that even after torching for a while some stubborn juices may linger a bit.

But yeah, I had a brand new ceramic and did exactly what Scott does for 30 seconds and it was fine, no bad tastes or anything!

And also, yes I believe excess heat can crack the ceramic. I've never cracked one, even when torching with a butane torch.. but I try not to torch it too much for too long

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
Moonwalker, here is my setup with the clear tank:

V2kBdk7.jpg

I got my Ody form the classifieds, it had all the expansion pieces (Full-mode.. You can go longer as well, there is another metal piece that you can add but I like that size personally) - it's just a little clear section, you can see it here at CoV

Not exactly sure what parts you have, someone else my be able to answer better, but I think you'd also need a longer mouthpiece to go with it.

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
Hi guys,

I remembered that on few topics I seen stories that ceramics should be torched before putting Ody in to use. So, before I make something stupid (as I did with UFS) and avoiding to read through out hundreds of pages, can someone tell me something about this process?

How it should be done, for how long, can ceramics crack from too much heat etc? And I don't have anything at my home which I would use to do this easy, so can it be done with regular lighter? And if I'm doing it on gas burner, how long should I torched it?

Thank you.
Hey majstore,

For what it's worth, you probably don't need to do any of this... You see, this issue with soapy taste coming from ceramics was only there during the initial release of ODY V1 and it didn't affect everyone. Some people got rid of it with torch/gas while some vaped through it until it eventually went away. I believe that Imeo explained that the manufacturer didn't properly wash/rinse ceramics after making them and that's where the soapy taste came from. I have not heard any complaints regarding this since then.

I suggest you don't do anything to the ceramic unless you know for sure that you need to and unless you have a backup ceramic, just in case. You could risk damaging it while removing and reinstalling it and it most likely would just end up being a waste of time. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO
Please be carefull when torching. The following story will hopefully tell you why.
So a couple weeks ago I noticed my Ody flavor was a bit off even after a fresh wick so I decided to torch my ceramic. When i torch I normally use a propane torch. Anyways I took some 30 guage rite wraped it around the ceramic through the small hole out the large 5 times then I kinda twisted the wire into a little handle and clamped it into my vise grips. Well after a couple seconds of torching I noticed it started burning. I thought it was odd but I had just woken up a bit before so I kept at it burning for 5-10 seconds pulling it out of the flame waiting for the fire to go out and re-torching. I figgured I would re-do this process for a bit untill it stopped burning. Well about my 5th time doing it the wire melted and it fel to the floor. Luckily I had a bottle of water right next to me because it burned a 2 inch hole in my carpet pronto. The cold water cracked the ceramic so I tossed it after it had cooled and replaced.

When I went to rebuild my Ody a light came on and I realised that what was burning was the o-ring I had forgotten to take out of it.

So some pointers.
1 If you are using a torch wire isn't always enough to hold it.
2 Torch over some kind of surface that can handle the heat.
3 Keep some water or a fire hydrant close by
4 BE CAREFULL

Please be very carefull doing this. I thank god I wasn't doing this over my lap or foot or a pet wasn't around or something else that really matters to me. I can't imagine the damage it would have done to me considering it burned through our thick carpet the padding and even scorched the wood undernesath all in about 3 seconds it took me to pour some water on it.

Supacrazyguy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2012
Swieqi , Malta
Hi guys,

Thank you.

One thing to remember is that ceramics are very fragile with temperature changes . try not to put it down until it cools , if it touches a cooler surface it can shatter . the effect is called thermal shock .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Skibadabomski

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2011
Tokyo
What I do is get a luke warm glass of water and take it with me to the stove and put my ceramic in a pair of tweezers and always burn in 10 seconds sets and dip in water and burn again .. about 5 times. I think it does the job. I like hearing the little fizz it makes when I dip it in the water.

Moonwalker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2012
Belgrade, Serbia
Thank you all.

Regarding to@Vaporologist reply, can someone confirm that information?

For what it's worth, you probably don't need to do any of this... You see, this issue with soapy taste coming from ceramics was only there during the initial release of ODY V1 and it didn't affect everyone. Some people got rid of it with torch/gas while some vaped through it until it eventually went away. I believe that Imeo explained that the manufacturer didn't properly wash/rinse ceramics after making them and that's where the soapy taste came from. I have not heard any complaints regarding this since then.

It is brand new ceramics which went with brand new Ody bought about ten days ago on e-smoke guru. Is there possibility of good news that new ceramics don't have this problem and I don't need to torch them at all?

Waiting positive reply so I can go and make my first setup. :D

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
Thank you all.

Regarding to@Vaporologist reply, can someone confirm that information?

It is brand new ceramics which went with brand new Ody bought about ten days ago on e-smoke guru. Is there possibility of good news that new ceramics don't have this problem and I don't need to torch them at all?

Waiting positive reply so I can go and make my first setup. :D

I say go ahead and try and let us know :D

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Exactly as you said Vapor. And I too dont torch my ceramics but a cleaning it with soap and water isnt a bad idea because I touch them with my hands while aasembling:)
Hey majstore,

I suggest you don't do anything to the ceramic unless you know for sure that you need to and unless you have a backup ceramic, just in case. You could risk damaging it while removing and reinstalling it and it most likely would just end up being a waste of time. Just my thoughts.

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
I've never had to torch my ceramics.

Me neither, my Odysseus (V1) has the same ceramic that originally came with it, I've never taken it off or disassembled it. I only rinse all the ceramic assembly with hot water when changing wick / coils, to remove liquid and coal residues. It is dark brown color inside due the dry burns and daily use, but that doesn't bothers me, because the color doesn't change the flavor, I think the ceramic is seasoned :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread