HeavenGifts: Win Joyetech Cubis+Cuboid combo, a new SS316+TCR vaping experience you shall try

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddhott

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2011
cartoon land,usa
good-afternoon-5.gif

faeriekitsune

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
So. MD
So just a quick update, I've been using this as my primary (and basically only) mod for the past three days. Gone through four sets of batteries and four tanks with the 1.5ohm Clapton coil. Had hoped to run the Clapton into the ground then try a SS coil, but it's seeming as if I may have to change early as there's no signs of degradation. I did notice though that the "1.5ohm" coil initially read as 1.66 and then settled at 1.62 after about a tank. However, as ohm variation goes, I'd rather they be a bit high than low.

My initial impression of the firing button being in a weird spot is fading. As I use the mod, I've gotten used to the button and the fact that thumb firing with my left hand (leaving my dominant right free to do other things) places the screen against the palm of my hand. The lock feature comes in handy. (Pun intended.)

I'm even getting used to the weight. At first, it was like I was lugging a brick around but now I barely notice unless I have set it down for awhile. It fits nicely into my hand even considering I have small girl hands. I can comfortably wrap my fingers around it and have the mod propped on my pinky with my thumb on the button in order to support the weight.

But...

As the newness wears off, I'm starting to notice things that bother me and things that just seem "off".

Although the button has a nice click to it, which I like, it seems loose and moves around in the casing. No rattle, thankfully, but it just has some slop to it. I've also noticed on occasion if my thumb is not firmly in the middle of the button I might get some delay to firing before it shifts and makes contact correctly. It's as if the actual switch is only a millimeter or two wide with the big platform of the button on top of it.

The USB port. Why oh why is it placed there? I often find my finger squarely on top of it when firing. This seems like a good way to introduce dirt and dust in an electrical connection point. Bad design in my opinion. I wouldn't mind however if there was a door cover or plug to keep the dirt out.

The battery door is really cool but slightly irritating. I thought it was reminiscent of old digital cameras and a good way to cut down on accidentally opening a magnetic cover, which I do a lot, but as I've used it, I've noticed some quirks. In the closed position, it has some give to it, which I think bothers me mostly because that's where I prop the mod on my finger. I'm worried that continual pressure like that may break it. In the open position, it just kinda flops. It would not have been difficult and been much nicer quality if it was spring loaded so it popped open and had some tension upon closing. The button latch just feels cheap as well. Unless you have nails, it's hard to grasp and I often have to attempt closing the door multiple times because the latch won't click shut. My prediction is that will be the first thing to break.

Lastly, this thing is a fingerprint magnet. The other colors won't be as bad as they are I believe a matte finish, but the stainless is very hard to keep clean looking. I'll be investing in a skin or silicone cover as soon as possible.

More updates to follow as I'm out of typing time at the moment...

faeriekitsune

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
So. MD
So to continue my progress report, the tank...

All in all, a pretty cool little tank. Love the cup design, no leakage here yet other than a slight weep around the top edge after filling that's less than two drops and doesn't reoccur until the next fill. The coils seem pretty hardy, I've been putting the Clapton through a work out and it's still chugging away. Love the fact that it comes with two drip tips! I'm using the clear one because I prefer acrylic tips to metal. Won't chip a tooth if I clock myself while driving or something!

Haven't had any connection issues, although I have managed to cause a dry hit even though the tank was full(ish). Wasn't chain vaping, just taking a puff every minute or two. Randomly, WHAM! Dry hit. Let it sit a few minutes and continue as normal. It's happened like twice and I'm on tank five. Odd.

I do like the fact that the pick ups are on the bottom so I can vape the coil basically dry before changing flavors. I've been treating it like one of my normal tanks, two tanks of a bourbon honey tobacco, then a tank of cinnamon pear Danish, then a tank of lemon cupcake with frosting and I'm back to the bourbon tobacco. I'm hard on coils with all the change ups and sweet juices and trying to see how it takes the abuse. The flavor is slightly muted though, especially with the fruity ones. My tobacco is coming through no problem but I was a little faint on the lemon cupcake.

But, the airflow. Didn't really like it out of the box and still kinda don't. It's tight for a lung hit on wide open and when closed down I feel like I'm sucking a particularly thick milkshake through a straw. I've adapted to it by only loosely setting my lips around the tip and pulling small streams of air from the corners of my mouth, but I'd rather have a more open draw or even an AFC tip included.

The top ring on mine is wiggly as well. Even with the center chimney tightened all the way the top ring can tilt a few degrees in any direction. That's just annoying from the visual perspective and from the OCD perspective.

I'm still holding final judgements. Waiting to see if the irritations outweigh the nice.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Actually I just checked mine and while the top ring is not loose and doesn't rattle, if I grab it with my fingers and move it, it does have some flex to it. I think that just might be the design as the ring is basically sitting on o-rings. I also checked my production tank (the black Cubis) and while there is a bit of movement, although it seems a tad bit tighter than the vendor sample I got from this contest.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
CUBOID REVIEW

It's been almost a week now testing the Cuboid APV. I really like the size and feel of this mod. It's quite small for a dual 18650 mod and feature rich, especially at <$60 US. This mod is near flawless but there is always room for a few improvements.

DISPAY: It's bright enough for indoor and shade but fades in sunlight to near unreadable. Screen resolution is suberb.

MENU SYSTEM: Similar to the VT60 but more closely resembles the VTC mini. I like how the ADJ TCR values are performed in a separate menu system but the three separate tcr values stored there are accessible from the main menu as M1, M2 and M3. Brilliant, it keeps the user from accidentally changing tcr values stored in memory while in the main menu.

MODES: Wattage Mode and VT Modes all work fine with Kanthal, NiChrome, Ni200, 316SS , 430SS, Titanium and NiFe52. The Mod never jumped out of VT Mode with any of my builds. The wide range of usable coil resistances in the VT Mode makes choosing wire guage less critical and gives me the opportunity to use up some of the extra spools of lighter gauge wire I have lying around.

510 CONNECTOR: The spring loaded brass 510 positive pin provides good pressure against atomizers and provided very stable and repeatable resistance readings. The threading is smooth but could be a little tighter. All of my atomizers wobble when threaded in until the atomizer base makes contact with the mod. The 510 connector is mounted a little low within the 22mm depression on the top of the mod and can encourage juice to migrate into the mod. An additional raised annular ring could be added midway between the 510 connector and the 22mm depression to channel the juice away from the 510 connector.

BATTERY DOOR: It works fine and I don't foresee having long term issues with it. The latching mechanism seems robust however the door is fussy to open when batteries are not installed.

BATTERY MONITOR: The battery monitors work ok but are not accurate on my sample. The left monitor always shows a smaller charge than the right even when I reverse the battery positions.

BATTERY CHARGING: Even though the manual specifically states not to charge the batteries via the usb port I tried anyway. It does charge however it only charges to 4.0v.

USB: I'm very happy to see Joyetech offer firmware upgrade ability to these newer generation of mods but I do not like the location of the USB Port. If and when Joyetech perfects series battery balanced charging and allows charging through the USB Port I would like to see the port located near the bottom of the mod.

FIRE BUTTON: It's nice. A firm click when depressed and no rattle. I like the oval shape and it never has misfired.

AESTHETICS & WEIGHT: Everyone who has seen the mod loves the look and feel and they all commented on the weight; some commenting that the weight indicates high quality, others commenting that it was heavy for it's size. I agree with both however it is no heavier than my Evic VT60 or my Rouleaux DNA200.

FIT & FINISH: The brushed finish is nice and does show finger prints a bit. The display cover shows finger prints badly (Snow Wolf-ish). The fit is way above average for its price. Nicely made.

Overall I love this mod and would have bought one had I not won one. I highly recommend this mod to vapers who would like to experience tc vaping or those who would like to take the next step into adjustable tcr.

Last edited:

Vera

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2010
Shanghai, China
www.heavengifts.com
Yes, thank you @jseah , been too busy to post much this week.

@Vera , the rubber insulator/pos pin coil leg termination design contributes to change in res because the coil legs are not anchored solid. Their connections can change while screwing/unscrewing the top cap because the rubber is decompressed and recompressed each time the tank is filled. Even though in this case the Cubis coils have nr-r-nr coil wires where the nr legs are staked to the r coil wire, oxidation of the coil legs can develop and make less than perfect connection. All it takes is .005 res change to noticeably change the vaping temp. .01 change in res can cause an anemic vape or a very hot vape depending on whether res rises or falls. These res changes are not uncommon with this type of design and can happen before, after or during vaping.

Some manufacturers have taken steps to reduce this problem by staking the neg coil leg to the coil case. That of course still leaves the pos leg to squirm around but is still better than nothing.

Thank you Lannie :)

Reactions: cooladdict

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
So after using two different Cubis tanks now for the past week, I have come to the conclusion that those trapped air bubbles, anemic vape, clogged feeling when vaping is a sign that the coil is giving up the ghost and is starting to fail. I am getting about 5 days to a week's usage out of each coil.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
So after using two different Cubis tanks now for the past week, I have come to the conclusion that those trapped air bubbles, anemic vape, clogged feeling when vaping is a sign that the coil is giving up the ghost and is starting to fail. I am getting about 5 days to a week's usage out of each coil.

Yeah sure, makes sense @jseah . The wicking gets clogged with ejuice particulates and slows the delivery of juice to the coil. Thing is, the particates also slow the migration of air bubbles into the tank. Less air into the tank means less juice out of the tank, so it's kind of a double whammy. Glad you figured it out.
I vape NETs and was surprised that I was able to vape 25ml before the .5ohm 316ss coil wicking clogged. Pretty good for a factory coil.

Reactions: Vera

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Yeah sure, makes sense @jseah . The wicking gets clogged with ejuice particulates and slows the delivery of juice to the coil. Thing is, the particates also slow the migration of air bubbles into the tank. Less air into the tank means less juice out of the tank, so it's kind of a double whammy. Glad you figured it out.
I vape NETs and was surprised that I was able to vape 25ml before the .5ohm 316ss coil wicking clogged. Pretty good for a factory coil.
Yeah, I have been using replacement coils, which doesn't seem to last as long as the original coil that came with the tank. I guess I got spoiled since that first coil lasted me the longest out of all of them. The coil I just swapped out yesterday seems to be not that great either. It seems to wick too well, because the coil seems to be constantly flooding so that it keeps gurgling on me. Have to chalk that up to manufacturing defects.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Yeah, I have been using replacement coils, which doesn't seem to last as long as the original coil that came with the tank. I guess I got spoiled since that first coil lasted me the longest out of all of them. The coil I just swapped out yesterday seems to be not that great either. It seems to wick too well, because the coil seems to be constantly flooding so that it keeps gurgling on me. Have to chalk that up to manufacturing defects.

In wattage mode turn up the power until it stops gurgling. Whatever wattage that is where it stops gurgling add 15% and put that value in the wattage setting in vtmode. That will ensure you are reaching your set temp in vt mode. The Cuboid will then down regulate the wattage while vaping to keep you at set temp.
You have 150w to work with so you should be able to stop an oversaturated coil problem.

Edit: Ok, rereading this it sounds kind of douchey but I'm not trying to be....lol

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
In wattage mode turn up the power until it stops gurgling. Whatever wattage that is where it stops gurgling add 15% and put that value in the wattage setting in vtmode. That will ensure you are reaching your set temp in vt mode. The Cuboid will then down regulate the wattage while vaping to keep you at set temp.
You have 150w to work with so you should be able to stop an oversaturated coil problem.

Edit: Ok, rereading this it sounds kind of douchey but I'm not trying to be....lol
I've actually tried sticking a q-tip down into the coil to soak up the excess juice, vaping it at a higher wattage, etc. The excess juice does burn off, but I let it sit for a few minutes and the juice pools back up again.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I've actually tried sticking a q-tip down into the coil to soak up the excess juice, vaping it at a higher wattage, etc. The excess juice does burn off, but I let it sit for a few minutes and the juice pools back up again.

Yep, something wrong there. Do your 1 ohm ss and clapton still work correctly?

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I haven't tried the Clapton yet. I tried the 1 ohm SS and didn't like it. Even wide open, the draw was too tight for me.

Ok, what I was getting at was that your tank could have developed a vacuum leak. If your other coils still work right then you could rule out a vacuum leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread