HeavenGifts: Win Joyetech Cubis+Cuboid combo, a new SS316+TCR vaping experience you shall try

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I'm perplexed about the Cubis tank. The coil is a SS 316L coil, and it worked great on the Cuboid and works great on the evic VTC Mini in the SS316 TC mode. However, I put the same tank on my DNA200, loaded the 316L profile from Steam Engine, and the vape is extremely anemic. It never produces any vapor and almost immediately temperature protection kicks on and drops the wattage to 5 watts. It works better using the SS 304 profile although it runs a bit hot. I also tried it on the SS 430 profile and that runs even hotter. Well, it least it works well on the evic VTC Mini. I wonder what the TCR is set for in the factory SS 316 profile?

Right, the wire is some form of ss with 120-ish tcr, not 88 as prescribed on SE. At least that's what I have to set the tcr to on the cuboid in tcr mode to match the heat and vapor output in ss316 mode. Haven't tried it on my dnas

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Hand check, more later.
IMG_20160107_162230_293-1.jpg
IMG_20160107_164201_460-1.jpg

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Right, the wire is some form of ss with 120-ish tcr, not 88 as prescribed on SE. At least that's what I have to set the tcr to on the cuboid in tcr mode to match the heat and vapor output in ss316 mode. Haven't tried it on my dnas
That's odd. It works fine on my XCube using a custom TCR in SS mode and I'm using the TCR recommended by Steam Engine for 316L.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
A follow up to my review of the Cubis atomizer. After vaping about 50 ml of juice in it, I ended up getting a nasty burnt hit on the 0.5 ohm SS coil. I finished off the rest of the tank and could still detect a slight burnt taste, so decided it was time to swap out the coil. Since I'm still waiting for my shipment of replacement 0.5 ohm SS coils to arrive, I put in the 1.0 ohm SS coil. I was originally thinking that the coil would have a super tight draw, but it wasn't that bad. The draw is a bit tighter than the 0.5 ohm coil and the vapor production is a little less, but it's not bad at all, coming from someone who hasn't vaped on a plus-ohm coil in almost 9 or 10 months. There definitely is a larger variation in the coil resistance that I would have expected though. The resistance showing up on my mod is 1.14 ohms.

I'm really enamored with this tank, and if I wasn't trying to cut back on my purchases, I would have just gone and ordered one or two extra tanks, especially since they sell for less than $20.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
After a week of usage, I think I've gotten the hang of using SS 316 coils for temp control.

Here's what I have found. Usually with TC coils made of nickel and titanium, you can go a little "nuts" with the power as the temperature protection will kick in and automatically lower the power. If the coil is rated to say 30 watts, cranking up the power to 60 watts won't hurt it and give you a quicker ramp up to the desired temp. The temp control kicks in and lowers the wattage before you start burning juice or cotton.

After using the Cubis SS coils for temp control, I have found that I really need to keep the power within the desired range of the coil (essentially treat it as you would treat it without temp control). Because SS 316 varies so little in resistance as the temp increases, the mod can be fooled, thus resulting in inaccurate temp readings.

Case in point is the 1.0 ohm SS 316 coil I just put into the Cubis. The recommended power settings for the coil is 10-25 watts. Operating it in SS316 mode, when I first started using the coil, I had the power set to 40 watts and the temp set to 420 degrees. When firing the mod, the temp on the display never went above 350 degrees and would fluctuate up and down within the range of 280-350 degrees and the temp protection would never kick in.....and you could taste and feel that the temp was much higher and it was starting to burn. However, when I lowered the wattage to 20 watts, you could see the temperature climb and then temp protection would kick in.

So even though you are using temp control, you have to go with the mindset as if you are using power/wattage mode.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
After a week of usage, I think I've gotten the hang of using SS 316 coils for temp control.

Here's what I have found. Usually with TC coils made of nickel and titanium, you can go a little "nuts" with the power as the temperature protection will kick in and automatically lower the power. If the coil is rated to say 30 watts, cranking up the power to 60 watts won't hurt it and give you a quicker ramp up to the desired temp. The temp control kicks in and lowers the wattage before you start burning juice or cotton.

After using the Cubis SS coils for temp control, I have found that I really need to keep the power within the desired range of the coil (essentially treat it as you would treat it without temp control). Because SS 316 varies so little in resistance as the temp increases, the mod can be fooled, thus resulting in inaccurate temp readings.

Case in point is the 1.0 ohm SS 316 coil I just put into the Cubis. The recommended power settings for the coil is 10-25 watts. Operating it in SS316 mode, when I first started using the coil, I had the power set to 40 watts and the temp set to 420 degrees. When firing the mod, the temp on the display never went above 350 degrees and would fluctuate up and down within the range of 280-350 degrees and the temp protection would never kick in.....and you could taste and feel that the temp was much higher and it was starting to burn. However, when I lowered the wattage to 20 watts, you could see the temperature climb and then temp protection would kick in.

So even though you are using temp control, you have to go with the mindset as if you are using power/wattage mode.
Probably just something wrong with that one coil. I've been running my 1.0 ohm SS316 coil at 40w at 490°f with no probs. The cuboid regulates the power down to about 25w avg with afc set to 1/2 and maintains a constant temp.
More later

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
CUBIS REVIEW

The top airflow entry and cup tank design of the atomizer are indeed innovative just as Joyetech claims. The air travels from adjustable air slots at the top then down to the coil where it then changes direction and travels up through the airtube and out of the drip tip.
The cup tank allows for vaping to the last drop and will likely never leak. This tank is easy to fill to it's 3.5ml capacity.
The tank does gurgle after filling for a few vapes but clears up nicely and it's smooth sailing from there to the last drop.
Airflow is sufficient for about 30w of applied power. Airflow is barely open enough for lung hitting and cannot be shut down enough for most mouth to lung hitters imo.
Vapor density, flavor and cloud production are good and on par with other vertical coil low-medium power tanks. The best flavor and vapor density seemed to occur at or near the specified max wattage rating for each coil with the airflow set to medium for the .5 ohm SS316 coil and wide open for the 1.0 ohm SS316 and 1.5 ohm Clapton coils. Resistance for all three coil types is 5-7% over the specified resistance. The .5 ohm SS316 coil had an anemic vape when set to the specified 88 tcr. A setting of 120 tcr seems to put it into a more accurate temp range. The 1.0 SS316 coil seems to be most accurate with tcr set to 110 tcr.

SUMMARY:
Pros: Easy to fill, consistant juice delivery, solid connections for good temp control stability, comes with two drip tips, good flavor and vapor density with the .5 ohm SS316 coil at 25-30w, orings are side compression style, and pricing is right.

Conns: Noisy airflow, 1 ohm SS316 and Clapton coils are not the best, Airflow is marginal for lung hitting and cannot be closed down enough for mouth to lung hitting, 3.5ml is a small juice capacity for a 30w tank. No replacement glass included.
** No Airflow Control position indicator**

Overall I like the look and feel of this tank and feel that it would be a good fit for beginner vapers using the .5 ohm SS316 coils ie. they could start at 15w or so with the airflow closed down all the way using short mouth to lung hits and then eventually move up to 30w using longer lung hits with the airflow set to midway for dense flavorful vapor or the airflow set to wide open for a more diffused vapor.

See edit**

Last edited:

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
Holy crap holy crap holy crap!!!!

Yippee!!!!

And I have no idea what else to say! I keep typing like two words, backspacing, typing two words, backspacing!

Thank you so much @Vera (Evan) and HG! Message inbound and reviews will be fully tested and awesome!
EEEK! Congratulations, @faeriekitsune!!!! This is so exciting! I can't wait to hear all about it. :)

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
CUBIS REVIEW

The top airflow entry and cup tank design of the atomizer are indeed innovative just as Joyetech claims. The air travels from adjustable air slots at the top then down to the coil where it then changes direction and travels up through the airtube and out of the drip tip.
The cup tank allows for vaping to the last drop and will likely never leak. This tank is easy to fill to it's 3.5ml capacity.
The tank does gurgle after filling for a few vapes but clears up nicely and it's smooth sailing from there to the last drop.
Airflow is sufficient for about 30w of applied power. Airflow is barely open enough for lung hitting and cannot be shut down enough for most mouth to lung hitters imo.
Vapor density, flavor and cloud production are good and on par with other vertical coil low-medium power tanks. The best flavor and vapor density seemed to occur at or near the specified max wattage rating for each coil with the airflow set to medium for the .5 ohm SS316 coil and wide open for the 1.0 ohm SS316 and 1.5 ohm Clapton coils. Resistance for all three coil types is 5-7% over the specified resistance. The .5 ohm SS316 coil had an anemic vape when set to the specified 88 tcr. A setting of 120 tcr seems to put it into a more accurate temp range. The 1.0 SS316 coil seems to be most accurate with tcr set to 110 tcr.

SUMMARY:
Pros: Easy to fill, consistant juice delivery, solid connections for good temp control stability, comes with two drip tips, good flavor and vapor density with the .5 ohm SS316 coil at 25-30w, orings are side compression style, and pricing is right.

Conns: Noisy airflow, 1 ohm SS316 and Clapton coils are not the best, Airflow is marginal for lung hitting and cannot be closed down enough for mouth to lung hitting, 3.5ml is a small juice capacity for a 30w tank. No replacement glass included.

Overall I like the look and feel of this tank and feel that it would be a good fit for beginner vapers using the .5 ohm SS316 coils ie. they could start at 15w or so with the airflow closed down all the way using short mouth to lung hits and then eventually move up to 30w using longer lung hits with the airflow set to midway for dense flavorful vapor or the airflow set to wide open for a more diffused vapor.
Great review, cigatron! That is interesting about the air flow. It actually sounds perfect for how I vape. I am a lung hitter but I don't like a lot of air flow. It still sounds like the biggest "complaint" about this tank is juice capacity! :)

faeriekitsune

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
So. MD
So I just received a tracking number from Evan earlier today and it looks like delivery is scheduled for Monday!

Kinda depends on when DHL gets here as to whether I'll be posting pictures before Tuesday. Can't sign for things when I'm at work... :cry:

Everybody cross your fingers for delivery before 1230! I'm like a little kid at Christmas I wanna test this out so bad!

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
So I just received a tracking number from Evan earlier today and it looks like delivery is scheduled for Monday!

Kinda depends on when DHL gets here as to whether I'll be posting pictures before Tuesday. Can't sign for things when I'm at work... :cry:

Everybody cross your fingers for delivery before 1230! I'm like a little kid at Christmas I wanna test this out so bad!
Fingers crossed, Faerie! I can't wait to hear what you think about this setup!! :)

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
This weekend my 0.5 ohm coil in the Cubis needed replacing. I tried the 1 ohm coil and didn't really like it. The vape just seemed weak in comparison. My replacement coils that I ordered from HG was still en route, so I went over to my B&M. They had just gotten the Cubis tanks in this week, so I was able to get some replacement coils. I also picked up the black Cubis tank as well. The black Cubis has a very attractive flat black finish. The drip tip is a gloss black Delrin, which doesn't match the finish on the tank very well. It does also come with a spare clear glass drip tip, like the stainless one. The max fill line on the side of the tank is still in black, so it is not very readable. This might appeal to someone who didn't really want that max fill line standing out like it does on the stainless version.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA

My replacement mod should be arriving today as well. From experience, I do know that DHL usually arrives around 4 for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread