Hello All Again....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Professor_2019

Jan 31, 2019
West Yorkshire
Well this is quite odd. I started vaping many many years ago.

I was not a moderator here, but was one of the more active members.

This was back in the day when a JiyStick 510 drew the attention of a dinosaur walking down the high street......

Tanks, variable anything, usb chargers and many other things were in the future.

I even had to order my eliquid in from USA, as there were no UK supplies!

I think it was Alien Vapes.... Don't know if they are still going?

Anyhow, I was one of the pioneers back then..... Most people (me included) were trying the filter mod or the twinings teabag mod, however Carlo was making the juice box. (As I said, no tanks) They sucked juice from a 10mm bottle and dropped it directly on a coil and wick.

Many people (Carlo included) had only 2 voltage options, 3.7 or 7.4v.....

(Two CR123 in series gives 7.4v One battery or paralleled batteries gave 3.7v)

I used to stream video from my workahop, and one night machined what became know as the sonic screwdriver mod. It was a 510 mod, used 2*CR123 in series, but next to the fire button, I had a slide control.

It was the first electronic infinitely variable voltage mod ever.... No display or anything. But gave a lovely vape on a 510 cartridge.

Before life got...... Busy, I found a small company in Scotland that sold eliquid. I used to order their High VG strawberry milkshake flavour.

So we come forward a few years, if you want to find an ecig shop, you throw a brick over your shoulder.... One will not be far from where that brick lands.

I have tried a couple of ecigs. Not for me. The taste is wrong, the vapour does not seem as rich.... And I cannot stand subohm.... (4.3v 1.8ohm 510 cartridge was my setting)

So I have decided to have a last try. So kit is here and all prepped. I just don't know what to do.....

I have found that EnJuice is still going. They still have the same High VG primo Strawberry Milkshake. My mod is even a Joytech... I used to have a little JoyeV3 many years ago

I have a brand new mod. Pipe-Mod, of a sort. (Used to also like the auto pipe with cartridges and attomisers separate..... May have been a 418c)

Anyhow, I have a tank filled with liquid. I have a 1.5 ohm atomiser fitted, as it was the closest value to what I used to use...

But it has a ring around the atomiser, a ring to control airflow.... Not sure what they do, but do not want to taint the taste by getting stuff wting.

Then I have menus, sub-menus.... Modes, all kinds of cr.... Sh..... Rubbish to go through in the settings....

Remember the vaping world last time I was here, how should I set my ecig to be as close to the past as possible?

The tank is a Joytech Elitar with a 1.5 ohm atomiser.

The mod is a Joytech Elitar.

Any help would be appreciated because I dare not even press the fire button as I have no idea what settings I need to look at......

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I’ve got an elitar. It’s not bad. There is a lot of stuff there you won’t need. Wire type for one, just use wattage mod and ignore all the other stuff. Most of that is for temperature control which the elitar isn’t particularly good at anyway. The atomizer it comes with btw is junk. Step one with this thing is getting rid of that which you seem to have already done. I would start at 6w and see how you like it. Move up a watt or two at a time. Most likely you’ll land around 8-10w but everyone is different.
Hope it works well for you :)

The_Professor_2019

Jan 31, 2019
West Yorkshire
Cool.... So I just set the power and ignore everything else?

What is the difference between the two different attys? Do you know?

(Am being made to feel very old at the minute..... I am talking about things that were old fashioned a decade ago....)

There are a lot more things to play with...

Ha, am surprised I don't have to set a waveform shape....

The_Professor_2019

Jan 31, 2019
West Yorkshire
This is the new kit...

Already to go....

But please remember, if you think that my ecig history is old.... I still remember the first colour TV arriving at home.

A good five minutes before that hardboard at the back made ''that smell"..... Something only people of a certain age remember....

Attachments

• 15489680454461944110883173362566.jpg
    15489680454461944110883173362566.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 141

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
15489680454461944110883173362566-jpg.795401

That contraption is a mod? Looks like an electric shaver. :lol:

I'm not familiar with the tank or the mod, but Bomb gave you good info.

So, the difference between the two different attys? I'm assuming you mean the coils. The higher the number, the higher the resistance (ohms) of the wire coils. Since your mod is a regulated mod, it doesn't really matter what ohm coil you use; you just adjust the wattage higher or lower to suit your preference. Always start out with a lower wattage setting and gradually work up higher until you sense the beginning of a burnt taste, then back down several watts for your "sweet spot". Some flavors will taste better with a higher setting, others will taste better with a lower setting. Generally speaking, fruit flavors are best at a lower setting.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Cool.... So I just set the power and ignore everything else?
. Basically yeah, if all you want is a regular vape. Temperature control was a big thing for a while. It can make coils last longer and prevent dry hits. It’s annoying and complicated to use though and most people just don’t.
What is the difference between the two different attys? Do you know?
Somewhat. It was a while ago. They’re two different resistances. What I mostly remember is that one of them works reasonably well and one of them is complete garbage. Specifically the one with all the slots in the side leaks badly into the air hole. Tons of spitting. It’s of a type that was fashionably new when the device came out. They never worked well and have been long abandoned. I forget what the type was even called.
(Am being made to feel very old at the minute..... I am talking about things that were old fashioned a decade ago....)
Heh. Lots of oldies here. I remember coveting that screwdriver when it came out as well as pyramid teabags and whatnot. Was supposed to be a really good mod actually iirc.
There are a lot more things to play with...
Ha, am surprised I don't have to set a waveform shape....
You can on some devices. Not the elitar though. Personally I never got much good out of them though some do.
Basically everything that isn’t wattage mode is about figuring out a way to keep the coil from overheating and burning the wick by accident. It can get a little over complicated.
Me I just excercise a bit of restraint, keep my eye on juice level, and change my wick when it gets yucky. If you do those things most of all that extra stuff is taken care of.

There are a few meaningful improvements. Most devices have boost/buck circuits now so you will get the same wattage no matter what the battery level is.
If you want try TC but don’t want to mess with all the confusion DNA makes some new boards with what they call replay mode. What it does is record the waveform of the last hit. Then if you got a nice vape off it you hit “replay” and it just keeps doing exactly that over and over. You don’t have to pay attention to any of the special settings.
DNA “C” devices tend to be expensive though

Last edited:
Reactions: Mordacai

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Remember the vaping world last time I was here, how should I set my ecig to be as close to the past as possible?

Well, I do remember that world and I still like the old-fashioned way: lower wattage and mouth-to-lung (MTL) inhale. I started with early 2- and 3-piece contraptions. Technology has improved considerably, but it's still possible to get that cigarette-like experience in vaping, if that's what you're looking for. The old-style MTL vaping never went out of style and is actually making a comeback. I'm not familiar with your kit, so can't help you there. But if you can't get it working satisfactorily, there are other options. Keep us posted and welcome back.

Reactions: bombastinator

The_Professor_2019

Jan 31, 2019
West Yorkshire
VV devices are not retro. We started with set voltage output devices only. 3.7 or 3.3v. :D
That is what I started with...

But I had a workshop.... Lathes, mills etc.

Never sold one, I just used to make them for myself..

I the original sonic screwdriver was machined out of a single 4" diameter billet of aircraft aluminium...

Took me bout 3 hours just to turn it down to size before I could start actually making the mod.

But question if I can...

I now have variable voltage, wattage and whatever else.

So, I could put 10watts into 0.5 ohm atty

Or I could put 20 watts into a 1 ohm atomiser.

Energy wise, they are both exactly the same.

So is there a difference in the way it vaporises the liquid?

The_Professor_2019

Jan 31, 2019
West Yorkshire
Bearing in mind, back in the time of dinosaurs, we only had one resistance coil.....

And that was the one that were using.

I think they naturally ranged from 2.2 to 1.5 ohm. Last time I was vaping Carlo had his box, I had what is now called VV.
A company had just released an ohm meter so people could try and sort out what they had.

Now apparently I can order coils with 0.1 ohm differences. What is the difference.

The last mods had variable airflow, and I seem to be leaning toward a more restricted airflow. (Still trying to get the 510 feel)

So what coul do I use?

Questions questions...

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
Generally speaking, the higher the resistance coils should be used with lower watts. On a 1.5 ohm coil probably under 15 watts, 1 ohm coil, up to 20, .5 maybe 30 or more. Most MTL vapers use higher resistance coils, 1.5 ohms is considered high these days, and stay well under 20 watts.

There are lots of variables, air flow, size of coil and also the type of juice.

It's kinda trail and error. The general advice is to start with low watts and increase by small increments until you find what you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread