Hello and question

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi,

I'm not new to vaping, exactly, but I am new to attempting this full time. I actually managed to quit for a few weeks when e-cigs were pretty new in the US, but then I went back to work and returned to analogues.

Several years later, I've had 3 bouts of pneumonia involving really horrid pneumonia and steroids and antibiotics and it's been horrid... Revamping my desire to stop cigarettes, full stop. Currently I have a box mod? (I think it's called) and a fairly fancy tank called the Aspire, I believe, with cleito 120 coils (sorry, new to all the technology...) I got these from my kid who just quit smoking *and* vaping, heh. I run the thing at 60 watts as I've never felt the need to produce clouds of smoke, and do close the airholes halfway, and yes, mostly I use it mouth to lung to nose.

Here are my questions: I'm sensitive to PG, and really cannot have any of it in my e-juice, so I'm smoking the highest level of nicotine available around here, 12 m.g. nicotine. Which, I get it, vape shops aren't dying to OD their customers.... But I was an over 2 pack a day smoker, currently down to 1/2 pk a day, (waiting for the steroids to wear off, they aren't fun). However, I do find that the way I vape (pretty chill) leaves me times when I'm craving more nicotine. I'd gladly buy a less expensive device and load it up with some higher nicotine for the next few weeks, but I'm not quite sure how I can do that, given that I can't get more than 12 nicotine in a pure VG mix.

Should I try pushing my wattage higher? I don't want to, it makes me cough at this point, although I'm sure that will go away once my pneumonia and residual analogues do? Should I have a PG mix that's higher nicotine for a few weeks in a cheap pen and suck it up? Is there a way to get higher nicotine content in pure VG liquid? I doubt HIGHLY that I'm going to OD myself with the stuff, I can tell when I just need nicotine, versus feeling that old desire for a cigarette? I probably HAVE some old tanks and batteries laying around. If I hadn't just gotten pneumonia 3 times I'd have less hesitation in beiing willing to add in PG but I really am sensitive and get symptoms that are uncomfortable.

Any advice would be welcomed, I quit in 3 days :)

Anna

Last edited:
Reactions: Kprthevapr

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
MTL at 60w?
12mg at 60w.

Not sure what to make of that.

Whatever your issues are with nicotine cravings, it's not likely to be not high enough strength liquid, probably more to do with cutting down on smoking.

12mg at 60w is off the radar of normal for long-term vapers.

So, you can tell I'm confused by your situation but given your health struggles I wish you luck and sincerely hope you find answers.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Thanks for the reply! Should I be vaping at a lower wattage, you are indicating? I lowered it a fair amount from what my son was using.... But again, no, I don't know about wattages/dosages that well and he used 6--3 mg liquid. Would I be better off lowering my wattage significantly so that I can vape more frequently.... That might actually work better? Again, the technology is so new to me (I really was used to early vape pens) that yes, I'm wondering. Maybe with a lower wattage or lower juice, I could be getting better results? TBH, I am using this hardware mainly because it's much easier (and cheaper), but I'm totally open to suggestion here... I do have some 0 nic PG I could add in, or if it's OKAY to lower the wattage, I'd be fine with that. I just want to make this work? Thanks for your reply. Maybe I'm overdoing it, and/or not able to vape frequently enough to satisfy my cravings? I certainly don't sit around and vape for five minutes, it's probably between 3--6 puffs, when I do it... Thank you.
Anna

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I'm not 100% sure, Anna.
I give people ecig hardware to try and generally recommended 12mg for up to 20-25 watts.
60w is beyond my normal range as I vape 6mg 14-18 watts, 3mg 'subohm' 25-50 watts. 50 watts fills the room with vapor to the point of being somewhat too cloudy.
But, I've been quit for years now so it's all a bit of a blur. I used 18mg in 2013 devices and once the smoking monster was dead and not coming back, went down to 12mg. Then 2014 was the real rise of subohm tanks and mods, nearly everyone dropped to 6mg or less. I have vaped 1.5mg at 100w but that strikes me as just an amusement really. People who claim to need to vape that high might be better off going up in Nicotine strength. But the community tries not to fit everyone into boxes. My next door neighbour out here in the wilds (I mostly live in the town) was showing off his subtank yesterday. He's vaping 12mg at 10w. I never even thought that was possible with a subtank (no joke) like I never thought MTL could be done at even 30w really. Experiment, enjoy, work on cutting down on cigarettes and don't jump to conclusions in the first few months. :)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Okay, thanks. That was kind of my worry... I have subohm coils and I've never used them, was told that vaping below 60 was pretty impossible... I did lower wattage to 40 and there's far less vapor, and I'm finding it way easier to vape :) but the tank doesn't seem to be functioning optimally.... I guess it's time for a visit to my local e-cig shop, and to see if I can order different coils for this tank, or whatever. Since I see the kid today, he can probably show me where he bought the tank online... I'm assuming regardless of the capacities of the box itself (two large lithium batteries), since it's adjustable I might be better off with a different coil/tank. I appreciate your feedback, thanks and hopefully being able to vape better will resolve my problem. I have no issues purchasing WHATEVER is necessary and trying some different things, it's going to be so much cheaper than smoking in every way. Thanks for the help, but it's good to know I have a few things to figure out before the Big. Quit. :)
Anna

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Thanks for the reply! Should I be vaping at a lower wattage, you are indicating? I lowered it a fair amount from what my son was using.... But again, no, I don't know about wattages/dosages that well and he used 6--3 mg liquid. Would I be better off lowering my wattage significantly so that I can vape more frequently.... That might actually work better? Again, the technology is so new to me (I really was used to early vape pens) that yes, I'm wondering. Maybe with a lower wattage or lower juice, I could be getting better results? TBH, I am using this hardware mainly because it's much easier (and cheaper), but I'm totally open to suggestion here... I do have some 0 nic PG I could add in, or if it's OKAY to lower the wattage, I'd be fine with that. I just want to make this work? Thanks for your reply. Maybe I'm overdoing it, and/or not able to vape frequently enough to satisfy my cravings? I certainly don't sit around and vape for five minutes, it's probably between 3--6 puffs, when I do it... Thank you.
Anna

I'll give a basic analogy here regarding wattage vs nic strength and some basic pointers.

When I was working in a vape shop the basics I based off of was number of cig or packs a day a new or returning vaper were using at that moment, example in your instance on a basic Ego class (pen sized/cigar sized starter kit with a clearomizer)

2 PAD on such a device I'd try to start them on an 18 to 24mg liquid (this would be a baseline 1 to 1 ratio in the rough area of about 7 to 10watts max)
If they were interested in a higher level higher wattage device 20 to 30watts I'd suggest a 9 to 12mg liquid (being double to triple the power, that is double to triple the juice being vaporized, equals double to triple the nic exposure per hit, a 2 to 1 to 3 to 1 ratio, with a 9mg that could be 18 to 27mg roughly of exposure in a 2 to 3 to 1 ratio respectively, at 12mg that could equate out to 24 to 36mg exposure roughly

What you have going on at the moment, assuming you are running at 60watts is a 6 to 1 ratio on a 12mg liquid which is super high, highest known liquid ever made was a 52mg with the first cig-a-likes and currently with the default JUUL device pods, 12mg X 6 = 72mg almost that you are being exposed to per hit, that is just way to high, at about 30watts you are roughly being exposed to 36mg. That Clieto 120 tank is far more efficient than the say the older Protank 1 tanks on an Ego battery were, the technology has advanced so far compared to 3years ago. 30watts with a 12mg is pretty high but not dangerous to say, I started on a 36mg way back in the day cig-a-likes and cartomizers were getting pretty mature at the time before the first clearomizers hit the market, and those were a big step up from a carto in efficiency forcing me down to an 18 to 24mg from being 1 1/2 pack a day smoker for 25years. If you were not PG sensitive I would be suggesting a higher PG liquid if you were still fighting pneumonia as I had a lot of customers with asthma, COPD, and other issues similar given PG's properties to fight microbials and bacteria (PG used to be and in some cases is the main carrier in asthma rescue inhalers), but with that PG sensitivity that suggestion is out the window.

So I'd set the mod in between the 20 to 30watt range, assuming that Clieto 120 will function properly at that setting, if not and it floods alot I'd suggest stepping down to a 6mg and upping the wattage into the 40 to 50watts range to make it function properly and not nic overdose yourself. The throat hit of a device would generally tell me I am getting to much nic, to high a nic hit should feel like a cloud of tiny needles at the back of the throat at 12mg at 40watts and higher making you cough and choke due to your throat tightening up. Another nic overdose sign is headache, nausea, and heat flushes immediately after a vape, so keep those warning signs in mind. If what you are using and are set at is keeping you satisfied, and withdrawal symptoms are low (aggitation, anxiety, etc) then you are fine otherwise. Best advice for you at the moment, is up you water and fluid intake (vaping will dehydrate you as PG and VG bond to moisture) also due to you are lowering you cig count a day withdrawal can dehydrate you as well, green teas a plus to help flush and detox your system better as well, but do lower you overall caffiene intake the first month or so.

Next if you feel like you are vaping more than you smoked, do so, it is fine, vaping allows you to regulate your nicotine balance in your body better than a lit cigarette does where you feel you have to finish the fuse with a cigarette, nor feel like these first weeks and months if you have a cig you are failing, your body is detoxing off of other chemicals in a cig that are not in a vape. High stress moments, after dinner, before bed, after waking up, etc, use your vape first, if still feel urges, don't feel bad having a 1/3 to 1/2 a cig, your cig usage will drop. It took me 2 1/2 weeks once I started vaping to finally put my last cig down, some people it took almost 6 months to get to that point, so you are not doing anything wrong, 1/2 PAD from 2 PAD is a big milestone, and will taper off to none eventually. There are a lot of mental as well as physical habits involved here other than the chemical dependencies, namely the hand to mouth, needing something to occupy your hands, etc, your mind and body need to retrain themselves while you detox from cigs involved here as well.

Eventually you will see an improvement, drop in cig usage, when idle you will vape a lot more than while you are active and distracted (examples at work you will vape less than when at home watching TV you will vape more), just the nature of the beast, so just stick with it, any questions of concerns do not hesitate to ask, there are plenty of people here to help, the stupid question is the one never asked ;)

Good luck and welcome aboard into Alice's Wonderland.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Thanks so much for the overview. I tried going down to 30 watt, not helpful. I think your suggestion of decreasing nic level is a good one, and I may also buy a non-subohm tank that I can vape at a lower wattage if needed, during more stressful times where I have less time to actually vape. Hopefully that way, I'll be able to make this work (my box has several presets as far as wattage). That being said, my husband hates the smell of vaping, so huge clouds of vapor.... Well, I definitely have a direction to go in, as well as some options. It does seem (to me) that while making huge clouds of vape may be satisfying, it's surely not necessary and more economical to have options other than this one. Though I do have at least 6 mo of coils, sigh. Though, it's always great to have options. Think I will buy both lower nic juice and a different tank/coils.

Thank you so much for the breakdown and the pointers, they were very helpful. What a great site. Anna

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Thanks so much for the overview. I tried going down to 30 watt, not helpful. I think your suggestion of decreasing nic level is a good one, and I may also buy a non-subohm tank that I can vape at a lower wattage if needed, during more stressful times where I have less time to actually vape. Hopefully that way, I'll be able to make this work (my box has several presets as far as wattage). That being said, my husband hates the smell of vaping, so huge clouds of vapor.... Well, I definitely have a direction to go in, as well as some options. It does seem (to me) that while making huge clouds of vape may be satisfying, it's surely not necessary and more economical to have options other than this one. Though I do have at least 6 mo of coils, sigh. Though, it's always great to have options. Think I will buy both lower nic juice and a different tank/coils.

Thank you so much for the breakdown and the pointers, they were very helpful. What a great site. Anna

Sorry for the late reply. If you are looking for a good low wattage mouth to lung tank (cigarette or drinking straw style draw), the Clieto 120 is actually designed for higher wattage and a direct to lung (funky stuff on a water pipe style draw), Aspire makes an excellent line in the Nautilus (older, big bell shaped 5ml tank), Nautilus Mini (older, smaller bell shaped 2.5ml tank), and recently released the Nautilus 2, which many, many people first starting vaping used to quit with. Some even still use them today. As all 3 tanks use the same coils, and with the recent release of the Nautilus 2, the coils will be available for a long time to come.

A tried, tested, and proven champion in the basic starter set ups, the battery/mod that it they are placed on doesn't matter, just have to set them in the 8 to 15watt range where they shine their best with the 1.6 and 1.8ohm coil heads that work with them.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
It's not that the venders are not wanting you to OD, they are in the business of selling as much over priced juice they can. If it takes dripping 36mg to keep off cigarettes and not chain vaping that's what you need. If the 12mg is not meeting you need I recommend making your own. Since you have a sensitivity to PG this the only way you will know what you are getting and at your nicotine level. You know most flavors are PG based cause that's what transfers the flavor to vape so you may consider going flavorless. My next recommendation is, get you a real RDA and build your own coils this is the most efficient method of converting liquid nicotine to vapor meaning where you are using 18mg with that aspire tank you may only need 6mg with a RDA. So better conversion mean less nicotine, PG and VG consumed.

Reactions: djsvapour

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks for the reply! Should I be vaping at a lower wattage, you are indicating? ...

Hi Anna. Welcome to the ECF.

IMO, you should be using the Wattage that you Like the Best.

If you have Tried Lower/Higher Wattages and 60 Watts is what you prefer with a given e-Liquid and Tank, than that is what I suggest you use.

But be sure to Try some Different Wattages. Because the Taste you get will change at Different watts.

Same with the Nicotine Level. I ran Much Higher Nicotine Levels when I was 1st trying to Quit Smoking. But once I got 90 Days or so under my belt, I found I liked using Lower Nicotine Levels. It just Tasted Better for the Fruit Flavors I was using. And the Cigarette Cravings had pasted. So I moved to Lower Nicotine Levels. And Also, lower wattages.

As long as you Don't have to Smoke, and Like the Taste of the Hit you are getting, there really Isn't a Right or Wrong way to use an e-Cigarette. Just what works Best for you.

Reactions: IMFire3605

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Thank you guys so much! I did stop and get a smaller bottle of 6 mg and checked out some non-sub ohm tanks. The 6 mg makes ALL the difference in the world-- no coughing, not wanting to vape much, etc. The diifference is pretty amazing. I will definitely be ordering a different tank that I can vape differently at a higher nicotine level. I can't say how much I appreciate the help.... I really want to be able to cold turkey and having the right equipment and using it properly is going to help me so much! I'm really appreciative.

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi Stols
You mention 12mg is the highest nic available where you are. There really is no way to make that base any higher a nic content without being able to add more nic to it. So if you want a better hit of nic you have two choices. First would be to try and get some from the web and import it, it is available in 100mg base which you then dilute down to what you want. The other option if you just can't obtain a higher nic content than 12mg is to either up your vapor clouds and/or take larger more frequent draws thus exposing yourself to more of the 12mg nic.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
The 6 mg makes ALL the difference in the world-- no coughing, not wanting to vape much, etc.
Welcome and glad you joined. Great news. I see you have had a little trouble expressing your problem to us. The information below could help your future questions in getting answered efficiently.
Might like to read:
vapetown
http://www.vaporauthority.com/pages/learn
http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/a...tte-college-guides-tutorials-information.html
Beginner – Guide To Vaping
http://vapingcheap.com/vaping-101/
(10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
(1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Thanks so much for the links, I will def. take a look at all of them! I did order a Nautilus tank and coils so I can produce less vapor at times, (esp. in the car, my husband really hates clouds of vape there, and at work) and also, while I do enjoy clouds of smoke (NOW that they are at 6 m.g. not 12) it'll be nice to have a discreet option and the option of higher nic if needed.... I'll have to see how it pans out. I really can't thank you guys enoguh for the time you took educating me. I saw my doc today and he was thrilled with my progress and my quit date, heh. I really appreciate it, though I imagine at first building my own coils and/or liquid might be something I will probably wait on, it sounds complicated, though I will start reading up... Yes, with the VG around where I live, 12 m.g. seems to be the max, presumably beceause most ppl assume you will be using it differently than I might. Paradoxically, I DO find that 6 m.g. works better in the tank I have now, as I can vape on it so much more efficiently.... and that really makes a difference. Thanks to all who replied, I so appreciate it :) Anna

Reactions: zoiDman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread