Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneface

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
New York
First of all, I am so glad to have found this resource and many thanks to all you who have shared your experiences here. I have found many a forum that is just not worth the time, but there is great info here. However, there may be way too much info here - so I am getting a bit confused and paralyzed by choices. I have smoked a long time (20+ years), with a less than a pack-a-day habit on "light" analogs. However, I am ready to get started with vaping. I have so far only vaped on Njoy OneJoy disposables. I am enthusiastic about vaping, but not so much on the disposables.

I am considering buying 2 rigs (it seems like everyone ends up with more than one rig eventually anyway). One is the Micro Ego from smok Tech for portability/stealth. I am also considering the eGo twist for "normal" use. I still, however, don't fully understand the atomizer/clearomizer possibilities for the eGo twist...I think I might be getting confused with all of the letter/number combinations and don't really understand what they mean.

Does this sound like a good way to start? Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
the eGo twist or spinner uses the 510 connection. you can use almost any atomizer, cartomizer, clearomizer, clearo tank, or rebuildable that has the 510 connection. (which is the most popular connection available) The other most popular connection is the 808D which is basically the exact opposite of the 510 connection. Where the 510 batteries (like the eGos your looking at) are female, and the 510 heads (atty, carto, etc) are male... The 808 batterys are male and the heads are female. Its not too confusing once you learn that much.

An eGo twist is a fantastic first device. your going to love it. a lot. its a very smart decision considering you'll be able to get any resistance heads and then tune your ego twist or spinner battery to the correct voltage.

For a new vaper I recommend you pick up a 5 pack of cartomizers, an atomizer, a drip tip, and maybe a clearomizer tank, such as the vivi nova mini, the smoktech redux, or the kanger T2 or T3. With that set-up, you should be able to find something that you enjoy. You can worry about buying a cartomizer tank (if you like the cartomizers) later. I do recommend you pick up at least 2 twist/spinner batteries though, because you will want to use one while the other is on the charger. There are kits that come with two batteries, a charger, and 5 cartomizers, or two clearomizer tanks. These kits are a good 1st buy. As far as getting that mini (350mah) eGo battery... ehhhhh. Eh. Thats up to you, but you'll find that its pretty small and pretty fat and with a clearomizer tank or vivi nova... its still pretty big and fat and terrible on charge life.

Please click my user name > blog for all the info a new vaper could ask for! hope I've helped.

Last edited:

brhollifield

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2013
Hampton Roads Virginia
That is a great way to start... as a matter of fact that is exactly how I started... first order eGo C kit, second order eGo T kit... then I moved on to Mods but I still use and love my eGo's ... the eGo's are great little units and very versatile, you should have no problem getting started with those while you take your time to peruse the forum at you leisure to make you decision on what you want next. Welcome aboard.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
as far as which mah to get, you might want to go for the 900 to 1000 region... I have a 400mah twist but I only use it for short trips outside of the house and I use my bigger battery mods for in-home, or when I know I'll be out for more than 3-4 hours. Mah = Milliamp Hours and this is a number that measures the amount of time your battery's charge will last. General rule of thumb is the 1st number is the amount of hours of constant use it will last, i usually like to round down 30 to 60 minutes. Example: 400mah battery = 3 to 3.5 hours of constant vape time.

If your eGo twist/spinner battery (or batteries, if you take my suggestion) are going to be your main vaporizer(s) then most of the experienced vapers here are going to tell you to go as big as your comfortable with. The most popular eGo twist/spinner battery size is the largest, and it is 1300mah. This will on average last you around one day of vaping, less if you vape as much as I do. I personally use 600mah batteries in my main PV and I change them out 3 times a day on average.

As far as juice goes, don't be afraid to try things you doubt you'd enjoy. There is no juice thats going to produce vapor that tastes and feels like tobacco.. But there are juices that replicate the experience very well. A favorite of mine is called RY4 and it is a caramel vanilla juice that I've grown pretty fond of. Another is called DK-Tab and its very similar, with nutty tones. Another favorite of mine is cantaloupe tobacco. Do not feel stuck vaping tobacco juices. MOST new vapers make this mistake and MOST eventually find out that their "all day vape" (their favorite juice) turns out to be something they never would of dreamed of vaping 16 hours a day. For instance, a favorite around here is mentholated green tea, another is snickerdoodle cookie, and a lot of people enjoy wintergreen banana. I suggest you go for a lot of SMALL bottles before making a larger investment in 20 to 30ml bottles... But if there is a flavor that you KNOW you'd enjoy, like if your favorite fruit is raspberry, you might want to get a bigger bottle of that so that you will have at least something you know u will enjoy.

Lorddeff07

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2013
St Kitts & Nevis
Awesome choice, much better than mine I guess. i too started with an eGo from apollo. Then got a titan tank with a couple replacement heads, a few extra clearomizers, carry case, extra battery (even though mine came with two).Not a twist though as i felt i just needed something to vape on and wanted to fully grasp all the basics, then upgrade if necessary.

The eGo has worked wonders for me so far and I feel I didn't need a twist cause I have no complaints with what I have, I don't see myself going over board with my vaping and can't justify getting something better now simply cause what i have works so well for me. If anything, I am on the market now for something even smaller than an eGo that I can carry around when going out and stuff.

Hope you enjoy vaping as much as i have... and I just started today by the way.

Stoneface

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
New York
Many thanks to all for your help and welcomes. I am eager to get on this train.
I still don't get what the letters/numbers mean describing the "kanger T2" and "kanger T3" clearomizer. What's the difference?
Edit: If I skip the micro, can someone please recommend something smaller that would be more stealth than the eGo twist? I would be looking for something perhaps that didn't light up or be too huge. Does that exist? The micro was the only thing I have seen that seems to match that.

Last edited:

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Its just where the heating element is. One is at the top, the other is at the bottom. they both work well and they both have their own followings. I have never used the bottom coils, where I have a ton of top coil clearomizers and vivi tanks. With the top coil clearomizers you just have to vape horizontally or shake it around sometimes to get the juice flowing through the wicks. With the bottom coils you don't have to do any of that but they do flood occasionally and that can be a messy situation in and of itself. E cigarettes have a small learning curve but once you find something you like, you'll master it in a matter of days and you'll stick with it. Even if you were to pick up an eGo battery, a charger, and JUST cartomizers or just ONE clearomizer tank, you'll figure it out quickly with common sense and a little research or ingenuity and you'll still be happier than with cigarettes.

Again, check out my blog for any questions you may have. I have in depth descriptions about everything a new vaper could want to know about. If reading a lot is not your style then please keep asking questions here, and in the forum. Your well on your way to vaping bliss.

acidrayne280

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
Earth
If you're worried about stealth, pick up an extra battery in mini size when you order. If you are trying to completely quit cigarettes, my opinion is to go for reliability. A bigger battery will mean it will last longer. I ordered my ego kit back in 2010 and have used it exclusively since (until I got my zmax the other day). My regular ego battery would last me all day (from wakeup at 0530 to at least when I get home).

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
First off I use Smokeless Image products. They are 808d products and for some 510 connections might be a better choice, but the concept is the same. I use the bigger X2 bats and clearos at home. I use the smaller Volt cig-a-like products and cartos for out and about. It's not really a stealth issue, it's just that the smaller bats and cartos are just more pocket friendly. That works perfectly for me.

Stoneface

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
New York
Its just where the heating element is. One is at the top, the other is at the bottom. they both work well and they both have their own followings.

Again, check out my blog for any questions you may have. I have in depth descriptions about everything a new vaper could want to know about. If reading a lot is not your style then please keep asking questions here, and in the forum. Your well on your way to vaping bliss.

How do you find out the type of coil for each?

I clicked on your blog, but I don't yet have permission to peruse...the joys of being a noob. I will check it out as soon as this child is allowed. Thanks again!

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
each website selling the kanger styled clearomizers should tell you in the description which are bottom coil and which are top coil. T2- Top coil. T3- Bottom coil. I recommend trying 1 of each or going with one T3 and one Smoktech Redux. Its all relative to what you can spend and what your interested in. You don't NEED to try cartomizers AND clearomizers right away. You can start with 1 or the other. You dont NEED to try top coil and the T3s at the same time either. A lot of people don't like clearomizers. Ive been using them more than cartos recently.

As far as the ohm/resistance of the heads- the description should tell you that much. A lot of the clearomizers come in the 2.4ohm range. I like 2.4ohm coils around 4.x volts. Around 4.8, sometimes less if the coils are dry, and around 5v if the coils are flooded/saturated. That is why having a variable voltage device is great. You can put the power up and dial it down.

Stoneface

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
New York
Its all relative to what you can spend and what your interested in. You don't NEED to try cartomizers AND clearomizers right away. You can start with 1 or the other. You dont NEED to try top coil and the T3s at the same time either. A lot of people don't like clearomizers. Ive been using them more than cartos recently.

I should have read this earlier tonight...I just placed an order for an eGo Twist kit (including a pass-through), a variety of juices, and a variety of carts, clears, and 2 tanks. I decided that I had become too obsessed about not making any mistakes and figured I would just jump in to get started. I figure I will eventually end up with a bunch of toys anyway, might as well start big.

I did get to read your blog entries, since I have graduated to adolescent poster and am allowed to roam the site more freely. Many thanks to you for your help and info (and everyone else here!) = it's been quite an education. I am sure that I will be asking you and others for more advice in the very near future.

Speaking of asking advice - when carrying or storing the rig, does one need to take it apart? Do you need to worry if the rig is horizontal or vertical? I did get a case, but don't seem to see any info on this point anywhere. I have read that many of these kits are more delicate than not, so I would like to take care of my investment.

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hi Gosh. Having read through the thread, Good pick on your new equipment. It will serve you well. I have been vaping for just over 2 years, much of that has been on eGo style batteries. I am a electronics technician and my daily routine consists of standing/crouching/kneeling so lots of up and down. I once had a case to put all my vape gear in, unassembled. That quickly began to be more of a problem than it was worth. I then realized that keeping an assembled unit in my pocket was less problems than the case. Almost all the current eGo class devices have the five (or three) quick button press safety feature. For a very long time I kept my unit assembled in my pocket without any issues. I have broken clearomizers when in my pocket, but never had any other issues. And when I say clearomizers I mean the older ones, not the newer ones that are currently available. I still carry my mod assembled completely. As a matter of fact my twin 18490mod has had a t3 on it this whole week while its been in my front pocket. Hell its still smaller than a pack of cigs...... In short(or not so short) it all comes down to what you are comfortable with. Good Luck. Happy Vaping.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Its not really going to be a problem keeping things assembled in your pocket. Your eGo batteries will have an off function. You click them 5 times fast and they will turn off. You click them 5 times fast again and they will turn on. I never remember to turn mine off and I haven't had a battery burn the head yet, but its possible. The cases are good for keeping accessories. Like if you want to take 2-3 different flavors to work, you can take 2-3 tanks filled with different flavors in a case clipped to a belt loop and your eGo batteries in your front pocket. I use a carto tank or a vivi nova or clearo for the most part, none of these will leak in your pocket. They are all designed to not leak these days.

I am glad that you read my blog and you were able to pick a nice shipment. I am going on my 5th year of vaping and I am still buying new PVs and new set-ups and new tanks and new everything. It is a journey, not a one time thing. Your vaping becomes an evolution. You'll want to try new things, new juices, new mods, new atomizers and new clearos and cartos and everything. Enjoy your vaping journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread