Hello from Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robby Wilson

Sep 21, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
I lingered in these forums a few years back when I was still in graduate school, but I have now dove head first into quitting smoking to switch over to vaping completely. No tapering off period, the day I got my package in the mail from Ebay I tossed my trusty Marlboro Lights in the trash and headed to my nearest vape shop to hang out and buy juice. I got the RX2 2700 with a big baby beast tank. Not a bad setup, though I admit I do not have a great deal to compare it to. My exposure to vaping the last few years has mainly been from randos I see at the bar. Fortunately, the people at my local shop have been quite helpful, and it's only about a 4 blocks from my apartment.

I tried a multitude of different juices that first day, but I simply could not stomach any of the fruity kinds that so many people seem enamored with. I gravitated completely towards the towards chocolates, custards, and one variety in particular named after the dessert Creme Brulee that I stocked up on heavily I liked it so much. I intentionally avoided tobacco flavored juices at the instruction of the shop, and it honestly shocked me that I was so into desserts and chocolate type flavors. As far as my food preferences, I do not have a sweet tooth hardly at all. I would much prefer to pound down a plate of chili cheese fries with ranch than have a pint of Ben and Jerry's or any dessert. Weird, but OK.

So now for the not so fun aspects of the last week and a half, which I suspect are symptoms of quitting smoking in general. That first 24 hours was not fun. Not fun at all. I felt like chewing my arm off, and chain vaped almost the entire time. While technology has no doubt improved in recent years, it's still not a cig. I was waiting at the vape shop when they opened the next morning at 10 to show me how to change out the coil (yes I went through the pre installed one in less than 24 hours).

I also had wicked rushes of anxiety and borderline paranoia those first 72 hours, along with generalized anger at everything and everyone. I am normally a pretty pleasant dude most of the time, but you would not of wanted to encounter me during this time period. Driving was the worst, as even the slightest inconvenience sent me into bouts of road rage.

After 72 hours my psyche mercifully began to calm down a bit, only to be replaced by some of the worst bouts of coughing I have ever encountered. I would spit up god awful chunks straight out of a horror movie. This was the worst when I would first wake up in the morning, and it made vaping almost impossible, which obviously made a bad situation worse. This only really started to subside substantially in the last day or so. Yes, I am still rocking lots of phlegm, but I am not on the verge of death like I was previously.

Today was really the first day I have felt semi-normal, which explains why I wanted to reach out to this community as I feel it might be helpful to learn from people with some experience and to motivate me to stay on course. I suspect the worst is now behind me, or at least I hope anyway. I am glad I had the weekend to get past some of the more nightmarish stuff, because being at work sucked during those initial days. I am feeling much more confident and do not feel chained to my vape for my very existence.

Anyway, that's a little bit about my rather short life post cigarettes. I am determined never to go back.

Thanks for listening.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Howdy and welcome :). Yeah, that’s about how it goes. Especially the coughing. Wonderful things cigarettes do to our lungs. The bright side is it’s mostly up from here. Food will taste better, you’ll gain wind, you’ll be able to smell things again, etc..

One thing I’ve seen in vape shops as of late is they tend to recommend overly low nic levels to new vapers which would explain the psychological stuff. You seem to be mostly past the worst part though. Don’t be afraid to raise your nic level if you need to.

Robby Wilson

Sep 21, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
Howdy and welcome :). Yeah, that’s about how it goes. Especially the coughing. Wonderful things cigarettes do to our lungs. The bright side is it’s mostly up from here. Food will taste better, you’ll gain wind, you’ll be able to smell things again, etc..

One thing I’ve seen in vape shops as of late is they tend to recommend overly low nic levels to new vapers which would explain the psychological stuff. You seem to be mostly past the worst part though. Don’t be afraid to raise your nic level if you need to.

Odd you should mention that, because I just upped my nicotine yesterday. Though the shop did not sell me any additional juice, just added nicotine to my bottle and then put it into a little contraption that looked about like a miniature version of a paint shaker and gave it back to me. I have noticed an uptick in the throat hit since doing this, and less need for higher wattage. The coils specify it's "best" at much a much higher wattage, but this seemed a bit much for me when I tried it at 50+ watts

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Odd you should mention that, because I just upped my nicotine yesterday. Though the shop did not sell my any additional juice, just added nicotine to my bottle and then put it into a little contraption that looked about like a miniature version of a paint shaker and gave it back to me. I have noticed an uptick in the throat hit since doing this, and less need for higher wattage. The coils specify it's "best" at much a much higher wattage, but this seemed a bit much for me when I tried it at 50+ watts
No worries. As long as you don’t exceed recommended you’ll be fine. As a bonus your coils will likely last a bit longer too.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi Robby welcome to ECF. I enjoyed your quitting stories and sad to say, that sounds about right. I don't care to remember my first day without smokes, honestly, though I did taper a bit and that helped. Congratulations for powering through your symptoms and hanging tough. I agree with Letitia that it's downhill from here. Some people cough a LOT when quitting, I didn't (much). I kind of think I used up all my coughing the eighteen months that I had pneumonia pretty much non-stop before I finally, finally said, "Enough."

So, good for you for the switch, I know this board helped me a ton early on with trouble shooting and etc., and it was a great source of support, too. Upping your nic sounds smart, though you may not wind up having to leave it there, but in the beginning, high nic can help a lot....

Stay hydrated (vaping can be drying on the throat) drink soothing things like chamomile tea with lemon and honey (I find that chamomile is more calming than any over the counter herb has the right to be it slightly diminished my feelings of wanting to chew through steel, at first etc.) If you chainvape, maybe some other distractions to hand might help (I am not a big fidget spinner gal but they help some folks) though hell, everyone chain vapes in the beginning.

Welcome to a new life, where you are going to feel SO much better, and keep up the good work, and keep posting during those difficult moments.

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy your stay here!

Anna

Robby Wilson

Sep 21, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the words of encouragement. Chicago is my adopted home by the way. I moved here for work. I am actually not really a city person believe it or not. Today when I woke up I felt much better physically and mentally. Again, I would say the worst is probably behind me.

I was going to make a thread specific to my mod, as the device did not come with much in the way of instructions and YouTube videos are scant because apparently the Reuleaux RX2 20700 is relatively new, but Wismec customer support responded to an email I sent them Friday. They sent me a PDF with a quick reference guide which is helpful. They also alerted me that a firmware update for the device is imminent. Apparently the device is capable of far more than I would ever have much use for. I suspect much of the vape word is not unlike the world of cars, computers, electronics etc. (especially among us guys) in that there is a great deal of small penis syndrome going on. People buy way more by nature than they would ever have a pragmatic use for.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
People buy way more by nature than they would ever have a pragmatic use for.
We call that shinyitis. Vaping becomes a hobby for many. I myself could never be satisfied with less than 3 setups in my daily rotation. All with different flavors.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, you may be surprised where vaping may lead you. You may find yourself using those bells and whistles one day, or not. Either way, the important thing is that you are finding a stable setup that's helping you quit, and that is most important. A lot of folks do not progress past a few setups that they really like, and stay where they are at. It's certainly cheaper. I do think that vaping is expanding in leaps and bounds. I know for me (as a non-sub0hmer) I do have a few setups that are higher in wattage than I need but I love the vape quality and since I like using TC sometimes, and there are mods that are quite wide in diameter, I don't mind having a few "power" setups to use, though for the most part I'm using simpler MTL setups. The good news is with the mod you have, you can try out different options down the line, if you want to. I have to admit I don't necessarily find great use for ever-increasing wattage potentials, but with that said, there are folks using very high wattage and finding those 3 or even 4 battery setups helpful.

I don't think it's like a fast car or a motorcycle though, it's more a condition called "shinyitis" where people want to use/try everything new that comes out, which can cause the problem. I know I have to fight it off (sometimes more successfully than others) and it's easy to get interested/excited about the newest mod/tank/RTA etc., and I don't own a penis nor do I want to prove that my vagina is large.... :lol::lol: Also, deeming regulations were coming around the first of the year, I know I bought some things believing that I might not have access to them later/ or they'd be very overpriced.... Then the FDA pushed that out until 2022, so things have calmed down a bit....

But congrats on switching to vaping and finding a stable vape, I'm glad you are feeling even better still this morning, that's great. :)

Anna

Robby Wilson

Sep 21, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
Well, you may be surprised where vaping may lead you. You may find yourself using those bells and whistles one day, or not. Either way, the important thing is that you are finding a stable setup that's helping you quit, and that is most important. A lot of folks do not progress past a few setups that they really like, and stay where they are at. It's certainly cheaper. I do think that vaping is expanding in leaps and bounds. I know for me (as a non-sub0hmer) I do have a few setups that are higher in wattage than I need but I love the vape quality and since I like using TC sometimes, and there are mods that are quite wide in diameter, I don't mind having a few "power" setups to use, though for the most part I'm using simpler MTL setups. The good news is with the mod you have, you can try out different options down the line, if you want to. I have to admit I don't necessarily find great use for ever-increasing wattage potentials, but with that said, there are folks using very high wattage and finding those 3 or even 4 battery setups helpful.

I don't think it's like a fast car or a motorcycle though, it's more a condition called "shinyitis" where people want to use/try everything new that comes out, which can cause the problem. I know I have to fight it off (sometimes more successfully than others) and it's easy to get interested/excited about the newest mod/tank/RTA etc., and I don't own a penis nor do I want to prove that my vagina is large.... :lol::lol: Also, deeming regulations were coming around the first of the year, I know I bought some things believing that I might not have access to them later/ or they'd be very overpriced.... Then the FDA pushed that out until 2022, so things have calmed down a bit....

But congrats on switching to vaping and finding a stable vape, I'm glad you are feeling even better still this morning, that's great. :)

Anna

There is much to be said for having a device that has the ability to allow you to expand your horizons when and if needed of course, so good call there. The guys at my local shop, who I am already starting to become fast friends with as I spent all Sunday there watching football and eating pizza, told me they generally have nothing but positive things to report about the Reuleaux lineup by and large. Well built, not expensive, easy to use, high power and reliable. My only minor gripe so far is that the fire button, while flush with the device, is very easy to depress and inadvertently fire. I set it in the console of my car while on the road and looked down to a cloud forming by my emergency brake lever. This has also happened a couple of times in my pocket.

I also took the time yesterday to go ahead and set up the Gnome tank that came with the device as well as the Big Baby Beast. This way I have a contingency plan in place. Though I must admit, after trying the gnome tank, I am not so sure I do not like it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread