Hello from Dre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drevj12

Oct 10, 2017
I'm looking to buy my first setup soon. Non-smoker, never smoked much of anything. Mainly interested in flavor/cloud chasing. I figure puffing on a dessert flavored vape for awhile is probably better for you long term than binge munching junk food. Plus vape tricks seem like a fun pastime. I'm planning to get a copper SXK Stingray X clone with a Pink paint splatter Rapture rda clone clone from 3FVape. And run somewhere between .15 to .3 resistance with Sony VTC6 batteries. I was wondering tho. The Rapture rda clone is listed as using a wide bore goon drip tip. But the authentic Armageddon MFG site says the Rapture uses a drip tip called an Ultem. Is this just Armageddons name for their drip tip specifically? Can other wide bore drip tips fit a Rapture RDA? Thanks for having me in this wonderful community.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Hello and Welcome.
Since you are looking for a first setup I would not advice a Mech mod. You need to have a solid knowledge of Ohms Law, battery safety, and coil building before going in that direction.
Ultem is the material the DT is made from.
Try not to get caught up in what others are using or what's cool looking, that doesn't mean anything.
I can get huge amounts of vapor from a regulated mod, using a .25 coil @ 50w with 80/20 liquid.
Be safe first and vape safe.
Once you have all the knowledge you need then you can go in different vape directions if you want.
Ohm's law. A brief (yet complete) guide to Ohms and vaping - Vaping.com - Your One Stop Vapor Shop
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/index.php?threads/661383/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/index.php?threads/546143/

This is some more information to help quoted by @r055co
"Here's my lecture for new Mech users to start with

1.Ohm's law, Steam Engine | free vaping calculators makes it easy and there's even an app on it for Android

2.Batteries, take good care of your batteries and know them!!!!!!!

a.Avoid crap batteries like eFest who rewrap rejects with grossly inflated amp ratings. Stick with authentic LG, Sony or Samsung from reputable (not eBay or Amazon) sources, great places that I get authentics from are -

http://liionwholesale.com/

Earth's #1 source for IMR 18650 Batteries, Chargers, Cases & Wraps | IMRbatteries.com

b.Stick well within Continuous Discharge Rate (CDR) Not the "pulse"

c.Keep up to date with what Mooch tests and battery ratings, follow his posts on Facebook and his Blog and only use his recommend batteries.

d.In Mod's with multiple batteries, marry them.

e.Get some battery wraps, they're cheap and easy to re-wrap batteries. Any nicks,tears or what ever don't be stupid and just re-wrap.

3.Don't build stupid low a good builder can chuck and get awesome dense vape from a good build. It's simple, with 20 CDR Amp batteries -

a.Single battery mod's you're fine with .2 ohms on up

b.Dual Parallel you're fine with .15 on up. Parallel you take the full CDR of one battery then add 1/2 the CDR of the next battery

c.Series you double the voltage but you share the amps . So a series you build high with a lot of wire mass no lower that .4 ohms.

4.Make sure you don't have any shorts. For an extra caution any new build I will vape on a regulated mod for a few drips or with a tank about a 1/4 tank. This is to insure nothing wonky with my build like shorts.

5.Careful if it's not in your hand, if it doesn't have a lock on the button and you put it in your pocket (which I really don't recommend) insure nothing else is in your pocket and it's loose. Don't want to put it in your front pocket and blow your Johnson off ya know [emoji6]

6.Last but certainly NOT the least, keep it clean! Clean it when you first get it "before" you even use it and clean it on a regular basis.

a.Ultrasonics are a very good investment, got mine off Amazon for around $25."

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

And Mooch's recommend batteries.
Hth

Sent from the future
4a84f95eb0fc44db071c950c43875a6a.jpg

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi, Welcome to ECF. Though I understand your desires are to vape clouds, etc., if you are new to vaping, I'm going to agree with not starting out with a mech mod. There are indeed plenty of very powerful regulated mods you can start with, and even then you need to know a lot of pertinent information. I do think you've gotten good advice above and I hope you will look into other areas of the board to do more research and find a safe, stable setup to begin with. You can always look into a mech mod when you have a little time and experience using something safer. There are tons of non mech mod setups that can suit your purposes just as well.

Welcome to ECF and hope you enjoy your stay.

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
hello and welcome to the show.
all the info you'll need is on this forum. make good use of the search feature and the helpful folk here are excellent, knowledgable and friendly.
i'd agree that a mech isn't the best place to start while i'd suggest a flexible sub-ohm kit probably is.

Drevj12

Oct 10, 2017
Thanks for all the advice. I don't know if it helps, but I have experience with vapes, just never bought my own. And I've been looking into them and researching for months now. And I'm not planning on building coils yet. I was going to order pre-built coils and stick within specs that multiple people on here have been running successfully. And I know not to store the mod with a battery in it, so I have a battery case in my cart for whenever I decide to order. Is it really that bad an idea for me to get a mech mod even with me being so careful? And if so, can you recommend another decent setup I could start with for under $50? Or do I need to save more?

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Thanks for all the advice. I don't know if it helps, but I have experience with vapes, just never bought my own. And I've been looking into them and researching for months now. And I'm not planning on building coils yet. I was going to order pre-built coils and stick within specs that multiple people on here have been running successfully. And I know not to store the mod with a battery in it, so I have a battery case in my cart for whenever I decide to order. Is it really that bad an idea for me to get a mech mod even with me being so careful? And if so, can you recommend another decent setup I could start with for under $50? Or do I need to save more?

Best bet is to recommend a regulated mod because no one here knows what research you've done. No one here knows what knowledge you have retained from all that research. A mechanical mod has absolutely zero safe guards against a mistake in knowledge.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
If you want a mech mod and think you understand all you need to know then go for it. If you read some of the links Tonee posted and understand them then you should be fine. If you are just worried about getting big clouds and flavor a regulated mod will do just as good as a mech and you have the extra protection. There are plenty of great regulated mod for under $50. I have the Smoant Battlestar which is quite capable of your needs and can be bought for $40. It can go up to 200 watts and is very durable and performs great not to mention it's stunningly beautiful. Anyway good luck with your search and if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask, this forum is full of knowledgeable, caring folks that are dedicated to helping their fellow vaper navigate the ever changing vape scene.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Hello, Dre and welcome to the forum. For most of us here, vaping is a marvelously fun and flavorful way to quit smoking. That it's "cool" is an afterthought.

I'd prefer that you neither vape nor smoke but if you're dead set on vaping, follow the recommendations above. Then do it safely and do it with zero nicotine juice.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
Dre, don't take this the wrong way, but why tricks.

Guess I'm old, don't get why that would be one of the reasons to start vaping when quitting smoking isn't.

Not trying to insult you, or even discourage. Just genuinely curious.

Drevj12

Oct 10, 2017
Dre, don't take this the wrong way, but why tricks.

Guess I'm old, don't get why that would be one of the reasons to start vaping when quitting smoking isn't.

Not trying to insult you, or even discourage. Just genuinely curious.
Well, as much as I know this probably isn't a reason to take up what could be a potentially dangerous hobby in the long term, I just think vape tricks look cool and fun to do. I used to play football and wrestle so I guess I'm attracted to risky hobbies. If it turns out that there are very serious health risks associated with long term vaping, I'd put it away for good. I figure CTE will kill me before vaping does any major damage. But jokes aside, it's really just the whole manipulating smoke thing that I enjoy. I hope I don't come off as some young idiot or like one of those annoying Smok praising phat cloud chaser bros.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I'm looking to buy my first setup soon. Non-smoker, never smoked much of anything. Mainly interested in flavor/cloud chasing. I figure puffing on a dessert flavored vape for awhile is probably better for you long term than binge munching junk food. Plus vape tricks seem like a fun pastime. I'm planning to get a copper SXK Stingray X clone with a Pink paint splatter Rapture RDA clone clone from 3FVape. And run somewhere between .15 to .3 resistance with Sony VTC6 batteries. I was wondering tho. The Rapture RDA clone is listed as using a wide bore goon drip tip. But the authentic Armageddon MFG site says the Rapture uses a drip tip called an Ultem. Is this just Armageddons name for their drip tip specifically? Can other wide bore drip tips fit a Rapture RDA? Thanks for having me in this wonderful community.
Welcome and glad you joined.
Ultem is just a trade name for a thermoplastic GE product which is formulated to withstand higher temperatures than other plastics. As to drip tips sizes, could read:
Drip Tip Fitment Information
810 Drip Tips

UndercoverV

Verified Member
Nov 30, 2010
Virginia
Hi and welcome! I read through this site for quite a while before starting to vape. As you can tell, it's a valuable resource!

I've got to admit I tried blowing smoke rings which I could do with tobacco but can't do with vaping.
Vape rings take more work than smoke rings. You can't just inhale and make a ring like you could with smoking. You have to be in an area where there's no air moving, let the cloud sit in your mouth a bit to get more dense... more work. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread