Hello New Here Mod Advice Requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrea Jones

Jul 2, 2017
I have a MVP 3.0 with a crown tank. Wanting to upgrade my mod. Want to know what everyone thinks of the following
IJoy Captain PD 270
KAOS Spectrum
Wismec Predator
MVP 4.0
Any others that are your favorites or ones that have a bad rap please let me know. Really needing to upgrade soon.
Also best places online to buy for good prices and stand behind their products. Please all the information from you fellow vapors is very much appreciated.
Thanks
Andrea

Reactions: AXIOM_1

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Welcome, glad you are here ..... Nah man (err Woman lol), I am the type of person who doesn't get too hung up on mods/tanks like I used to ( I have been through many of them).... I have had simple little mods/tanks that provided me with more pleasure than my most expensive and powerful ones ..... Now days, I value learning about all of the variables of vaping because I believe that once they are understood and experimented with then a person can get good vaping experiences with very modest hardware..... At any rate, I will bump your question to someone else here who will provide more input on hardware...

Reactions: Tonee N

Tonee N

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 24, 2017
    Nevada
    I own the Captain, Predator, Alien, and others. I like the Alien and Captain, the Captain for the USER mode, 20700 batteries, and it holds all tanks up to 30mm. The Alien overall I like. Small, display information, power settings, and fire bar.
    It really comes down to what you really want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Tonee N

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 24, 2017
    Nevada
    I'd be careful about the Wismec Predator..I'm pretty sure its got a pressfit 510 connection that loosens then comes out. I'd steer clear of that mod till they revise how the 510 is set into the mod.
    It is. I'm REALLY careful with mine, no Rda on it. Supposedly they addressed that issue on a new batch but don't quote me on that.

Last edited:

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    It does. I'm REALLY careful with mine, no Rda on it. Supposedly they addressed that issue on a new batch but don't quote me on that.

Bummer about it loosening.... Yeah some of this hardware crap they are pushing out the door is just plain crazy :( .... It's a miracle that any of us can learn enough about vaping to discover what works for each individual person...... I mean think about the fact that each person has different tastes when it comes to vaping/vaping styles.......... When you couple that fact with the fact that there are so many variables to experiment with, then it is no wonder why people get bewildered lol .... Hence, the need for a forum like this one :w00t: ..... If any person finds a mod/atomizer combo that holds up and doesn't fall apart, loosen, leak, or any other negative thing, then they ought to value it highly and vape the sh*t out of it and forget about buying anything else lol.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 24, 2017
    Nevada
    Bummer about it loosening.... Yeah some of this hardware crap they are pushing out the door is just plain crazy :( .... It's a miracle that any of us can learn enough about vaping to discover what works for each individual person...... I mean think about the fact that each person has different tastes when it comes to vaping/vaping styles.......... When you couple that fact with the fact that there are so many variables to experiment with, then it is no wonder why people get bewildered lol .... Hence, the need for a forum like this one :w00t: ..... If any person finds a mod/atomizer combo that holds up and doesn't fall apart, loosen, leak, or any other negative thing, then they ought to value it highly and vape the sh*t out of it and forget about buying anything else lol.
    I own such a setup and I'm asking 1 million dollars for it![emoji6]

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I own such a setup and I'm asking 1 million dollars for it![emoji6]

lol :w00t: ...... Yeah, well I gave up many moons ago about spending large amounts of money on hardware when in reality there isn't a vast difference in functionality.......... Oh sure there is temperature control, various types of coil configurations and metals that coils are made out of, power levels, blah blah blah, but when you get past all of the glitter of being a hardware junkie ( like I used to be) then you realize you can make a fairly good vape with even a sub optimal mod/tank unit ..... Will you take a check or do you want the 1 million in cash?

Tonee N

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 24, 2017
    Nevada
    I only accept spare change, not rolled, and must be in paperbag.[emoji6]

I have and had sooo many different boxes and tanks I can't keep count, low end and higher end. Now a days, whatever has the best flavor and is reliable. [emoji106]
    I just ordered a Pico kit to try it out(after hearing a lot of users here using them) and it may work better than all my Smok, Sigelei, Wismec, Tesla, etc and it costs half the price.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 8, 2014
    Nebraska
    Welcome @Andrea Jones !

Of those you mention, I only have the Kaos Spectrum. Nice mod that does the job for me. Can't speak to the TC quality as I only use power mode. Very simple mod and menu system.......put on an atty, set your watts, and vape away. The LED lights are purdy and nice for matching up with tank O-rings if you are into that sorta thing, but that is all that they are good for. But I like it for what it is....a simple nice mod with a comfortable size and fit and works.

I do prefer my Alien over the Kaos, mostly based on the nice menu system with more options and control. Little things that do add up. Like setting the initial power, shortening the screen timeout, adjusting screen brightness, puff counter, and maybe a few more I forget at the moment.

And I am anxious to compare the Alien with the Smok GX2/4 I ordered today. Based on research and reviews, it looks like the same menu system and is slightly smaller then the Alien when in dual 18650 configuration. Adding the option to also configure it to quad 18650 configuration is also nice, mostly for the added battery life for me. Then again, I occasionally do like to crank the watts up above 120 for a few tokes. Like the LED lights on the Kaos, the color choices and great looking paint are a bit of a bonus.

All in all, lots of choices for decent mods available now.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I only accept spare change, not rolled, and must be in paperbag.[emoji6]

I have and had sooo many different boxes and tanks I can't keep count, low end and higher end. Now a days, whatever has the best flavor and is reliable. [emoji106]
    I just ordered a Pico kit to try it out(after hearing a lot of users here using them) and it may work better than all my Smok, Sigelei, Wismec, Tesla, etc and it costs half the price.

Hey!, You sound sort of like myself.......... I hope your Pico kit works out for you for sure .... Yeah, I am lots like you in the fact that whatever is reliable and provides flavor is fine for myself ...... But it is sort of hard to explain that scenario to new vaper's who are faced with all of the overwhelming ( and confusing) info that they face ..... Lots of newbies who end up vaping for a couple of years or so and have ended up spending oodles of $$$$$$ on hardware suddenly discover what you and I know :) Oh well, it's all part of the learning process concerning vaping and all of us old duffer's have been there and understand :w00t:

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I've learned to own any tank that can use an Aspire Atlantis coil. You can go pretty much anywhere and get those coils.[emoji106]

Yeah........ well, I am a bit ......ed I suppose because I will vape anything that produces vapor :w00t: ... Heck, I would probably break the socket end off of a old fashioned light bulb and try to fill it with ejuice, plug it into a 110V wall outlet and see if I could vape off of it :w00t: ...... You can probably tell that I don't have much vaping status quo :rolleyes: ...... Good point you made about the Aspire coils :) ............ I have cobbled together some pretty scary looking units, but by h*ll, some of them worked very well and good enough for my tastes :)

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Toaster, rayon shirt, and a drip tip. Old school!

lol :w00t: ..... Nah man, I like the newer stuff coming out for sure.......... Some of it is totally awesome for sure....... It's just that I have realized that vaping for as many years as I have, that I no longer need to purchase more mods/tanks than an average vape shop stocks lol .... I mean, it can get really ridiculous on how many mods and tanks/rds's/rba's that a person can go through in their quest for "vape bliss", when in reality they had vape bliss all along and never knew it .... Oh well, I suppose I am different in my thinking process than lots of folks. :rolleyes:

Reactions: stols001

listopencil

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2017
    In Partibus Infidelium
    Toaster, rayon shirt, and a drip tip. Old school!

I'm thinking grab a portable 20k mAh auto jump starter from Wal Mart, wire a 510 connection to that DC outlet, klowdz bro klowdz. It will go 7600 Watts and 19 Volts at 0.05 Ohms pushing 400 Amps max. Surely you have a wire that's 0.05 Ohms, right?

Tonee N

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 24, 2017
    Nevada
    I'm thinking grab a portable 20k mAh auto jump starter from Wal Mart, wire a 510 connection to that DC outlet, klowdz bro klowdz. It will go 7600 Watts and 19 Volts at 0.05 Ohms pushing 400 Amps max. Surely you have a wire that's 0.05 Ohms, right?
    I know a guy at NV Energy, I buy it by the spool.[emoji6]

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 2, 2013
    BC Canada
    When you couple that fact with the fact that there are so many variables to experiment with, then it is no wonder why people get bewildered lol .... Hence, the need for a forum like this one :w00t: ..... If any person finds a mod/atomizer combo that holds up and doesn't fall apart, loosen, leak, or any other negative thing, then they ought to value it highly and vape the sh*t out of it and forget about buying anything else lol.

There is plenty of confusing stuff out there with vaping gear. I'm kinda glad we only had a few options for vape gear when we started a few years back. Progression of vape gear over the last few years is amazing from ce4 clearos to now a multitude of good attys and mods, enough that one can't keep up.
    I can say over our 4 years of vaping that I have really only used 3 attys for any length of time. The clearos lasted a couple months. Protanks for a couple years, Kayfuns as a sideline to enjoy wider range of building ability and now subtank mini's for the last couple years. I may have bought some TFV4's and Merlins along with a couple drippers I rarely use. My only big investment was a provaris for my wife and I when they were almost a couple hundred bucks each, 4 years ago and they still firing nicely.
    Your so right Axiom....if it works and performs good then vape the sh*t out it into the ground and so far very little of my gear has failed and my attys have performed beyond expectations.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Well, if you mostly want MTL with some DL, I'd recommend a Nautilus 2 and trying all the coils. I'm using the 0.7 coil right now and at almost *exactly* the same wattage as the 1.8 coil. It's a smoother vape, you can DL with it if you want to, and it's pretty versatile. My favorite tank so far, though I'm hardly an expert on having tried a million tanks/mods. But, of everything I've tried so far, I like this tank the most. Great for work, great for home. I will probably order more of the *exact same thing* than try something different, at least until I'm ready to build.

It will leak on travel if you overfill/don't close off the air holes, but other than that, it's really easygoing.

Anna

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 8, 2014
    Nebraska
    There is plenty of confusing stuff out there with vaping gear. I'm kinda glad we only had a few options for vape gear when we started a few years back. Progression of vape gear over the last few years is amazing from ce4 clearos to now a multitude of good attys and mods, enough that one can't keep up.

Not only that, but each individual vaper's progression.

I started with a couple Kanger T3D tanks and wanted nothing else cause this old :censored: didn't think he could keep different coils for different tanks straight. Then got a couple Aero Tank Megas since they used those same coils. But now.......

I start my day with one of my Atlantis tanks soon followed by a Kanger Sub. By noon, I am ready for one of my TFV4's or TFV8, maybe throwing in a Herakles, one of my RTA's, or drippers for a while. Now I am even finding it hard to stay away from one of my Baby or Big Baby Beast tanks. Makes sense to me, anyway, but with all those choices, why not have different mods for each of the varied wattage ranges for ease and safety? How many 28 watt coils am I going to burn out by forgetting to drop the wattage on the mod from 100 watts? That's a long ways from having to remember which coil goes in which tank!

And yes! I still use and maintain my spreadsheet to help me keep track of it all.

This message composed and typed while sitting here waiting for my next vape mail delivery! :thumbs:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread