Help Articles Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdake3265

Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Santa Ana
Intro to the story is that my mom wants me to not vape, but i love it and will continue to vape. Luckily she is open to research, please post any articles or studies or professional opinions on whether or not vaping is ok or safe. It can be for or against, as long as there are good articles.

She has a few main problems:
#1 there is second hand vapor, i told her that is not true because when you exhale it is like 99% water, 1% nicotine, and other trace elements.
#2 liquid nicotine can kill you, i said that i would switch to 0mg and that that isn't true because i have swallowed some on accident before.
#3 It is bad for your lungs, i said i have never felt better, it in no way affects my breathing, it has caused me to eat less which in turn has related to me losing 10 lb.

Please help me out

iamthevoice

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
I'm sorry to hear about your problem. Are you not 18 or the age of majority in your state? Your mom has some valid concerns and I think the mature and wise thing to do would have been to tell her that you did not have all the facts; the answers you provided her were the ones that would be provided by someone who is simply being argumentative.

1. You don't know the exact percentages of the second hand vapor, so don't claim some arbitrary numbers that prove your point...
2. It can, but it's a question of dosage.
3. The way you feel is no way connected to how good it might be for your lungs. Some people have found a feeling of peace and well being when they have been subjected to carbon monoxide. Unfortunately, it IS a deadly poison.

I would simply Google those questions; you might be surprised at the information available to you. Good luck!

jdake3265

Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Santa Ana
I'm sorry to hear about your problem. Are you not 18 or the age of majority in your state? Your mom has some valid concerns and I think the mature and wise thing to do would have been to tell her that you did not have all the facts; the answers you provided her were the ones that would be provided by someone who is simply being argumentative.

1. You don't know the exact percentages of the second hand vapor, so don't claim some arbitrary numbers that prove your point...
2. It can, but it's a question of dosage.
3. The way you feel is no way connected to how good it might be for your lungs. Some people have found a feeling of peace and well being when they have been subjected to carbon monoxide. Unfortunately, it IS a deadly poison.

I would simply Google those questions; you might be surprised at the information available to you. Good luck!
i did tell her i don't know how safe it is, i told her that there is not much evidence for or against it yet, but that i like doing it and it makes me happy.
now im sending her tons of articles

iamthevoice

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
i did tell her i don't know how safe it is, i told her that there is not much evidence for or against it yet, but that i like doing it and it makes me happy.
now im sending her tons of articles

I must have misread then... From what I understand, you're not hooked on nicotine, but you're still using it. If you didn't smoke before, I can see why your mom might be concerned. Perhaps you might point out to her that you are responsible enough to make your own decisions but that you respect her right to have an opinion?

jdake3265

Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Santa Ana
I must have misread then... From what I understand, you're not hooked on nicotine, but you're still using it. If you didn't smoke before, I can see why your mom might be concerned. Perhaps you might point out to her that you are responsible enough to make your own decisions but that you respect her right to have an opinion?

i did but she has been over protective of me my whole life, i am surprised she is even willing to look at research.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
I understand your mom is concerned. Mine was too when I started, and I'm in my 40's (though I had smoked for 28 years, so...). I let her read some things, and now she even lets me vape in the house when I visit her. :)

Here are some resources which you can share:

Learn About Electronic Cigarettes
BMC Public Health | Full text | Peering through the mist: systematic review of what the chemistry of contaminants in electronic cigarettes tells us about health risks (this one includes the conclusion that "second-hand" vape poses no threat to bystanders, as well as other good news)
Is Nicotine Addictive ?
Electronic Cigarette | www.ecigarette-research.com
The Ultimate List of E-Cig Studies: Are E-Cigs Actually Safe? *Updated 2/16/14 - onVaping
http://www.rstreet.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/RSTREET25.pdf

Also, there is copious information available right here on ECF if you just poke around. Particularly in the Media & General News & Legislative News forums. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread