Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Hey! My very lucky dog just chewed a 18650 battery. It appears intact though dented and feels very hot to the touch. I put it outside in the middle of a large paved area to minimize fire risk. What the heck do I do now!?
Wait to see if it either vents entirely or cools... give it an hour or so... then wrap it in electrical tape (just cover any exposed metal), and take it to a battery recycler.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Rigs123 wrote: Hey! My very lucky dog just chewed a 18650 battery. It appears intact though dented and feels very hot to the touch. I put it outside in the middle of a large paved area to minimize fire risk. What the heck do I do now!?

They do turn into a small blowtorch if they are shorted. That can happen internally if the battery structure is crushed or dented. It's best to leave it outside on concrete or dirt until it cools down and then bag it and drop it off at batteries Plus or some other lithium battery store that has a recycle bin.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Welcome to ECF
Glad you both are okay

Yes.

Is your dog named Lucky?

My cat, as cats do, gets into everything and anything. She loves, as cats do, knocking tools, atty’s, juice bottles etc off my desk then chase them as she bats them around – showing the vape industry who is boss!! Even though she does not possess the bite strength as a dog, batteries are always kept within a proper battery case and well out of her reach.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Thank you so much! I'll do that.

I'll be much more careful in the future. I had no idea she'd do that.
Have you tried giving the pup an antler? They are healthy and safe for dogs, plus they last a very long time. They can be kinda expensive but they last so long it ends up being cheaper then bully sticks or rawhide. I’ve yet to meet a pup that doesn’t love a good antler shed to chew on. Happy both you and the pup have avoided the burn ward and best of luck keeping your cells away from the dog, I know they can be quite resourceful when they want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread