• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Help fight cancer with F@H! join team ECF today!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
That depends on what the actual power draw of the PC is and what your electric rate might be. I don't want to think about it in terms of what it might be costing. I think about it in terms of what I might be able to contribute to, in some small way, to unscrewing some of the inscrewtables.
How is the puppy?

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
OK. I have been running it in Chrome. Thinking of running it from desktop. What are the advantages of that? I have plenty of space on my computer. Biggest thing is when I am streaming TV shows, I can keep it at full speed with a few slow-downs. But wondering if that would be better if I made the switch.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
It depends on the processor and video card. Generally speaking, a quad core CPU will do up to 10K per day but usually less. If you have a higher end video card, Cuda or better, you can get 30K per day and up with a 1080Ti topping out at about 1,000,000 points a day. Personally, using GPUs for folding, I've found letting the CPU fold is counter productive since it stops the CPU from having enough cycles, time, to manage the PCI buss demands of the GPUs which slows them down more than the gain of the CPU processing.

All that said, I fold on an i5 laptop, which doesn't have a GPU capable of folding, and it does between 5 and 10K per day depending on the type of work unit. I fold on it since it's on all day, anyway, and it might help somehow.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
It depends on the processor and video card. Generally speaking, a quad core CPU will do up to 10K per day but usually less. If you have a higher end video card, Cuda or better, you can get 30K per day and up with a 1080Ti topping out at about 1,000,000 points a day. Personally, using GPUs for folding, I've found letting the CPU fold is counter productive since it stops the CPU from having enough cycles, time, to manage the PCI buss demands of the GPUs which slows them down more than the gain of the CPU processing.

All that said, I fold on an i5 laptop, which doesn't have a GPU capable of folding, and it does between 5 and 10K per day depending on the type of work unit. I fold on it since it's on all day, anyway, and it might help somehow.
You went waay over my head, as usual.
When folding on Chrome, I can only change the speed at which it is folding or stop it. I downloaded it, and can click on folding while nothing else is running, and am reasonably confident that it is doing so. On Chrome, I was a bit over 6,000 a day (24 hr), so I will have to wait and see. I have a reconditioned Dell Optiplex 390, probably from a school deal.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I use Winderz and haven't delved into Linux for a while, about 20 years. I think that when support for Win7 goes away I'll have to look into Linux. I hate Winderz 10 with a passion. I have seen some problems mentioned on the folding@home board with the Linux client so you might want to have a look over there.

We got you back, now if we can get irwink back, too, the team will start making some real progress again.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
10 isn't too bad once you rip some things out by the roots and tame it a bit. But yeah, MS has taken a direction that makes me suspect that Winderz will end up as a service, not an OS.

Linux has come a long way, even since I started using it full time on the home front (over 10 years ago). Unless you're into gaming, it's entirely possible to go entirely Linux these days and not have any issues.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
OK. Let's do this first.

Press your Windows key + the letter R. A box will pop up for the run command. Type Dxdiag in that box and press enter. Let it run to completion, click Save, and then upload the file here as an attachment.
I reinstalled it, and it is working ok, but that is what happened last time-- worked a while, then got buggy. Will wait a while before I try the diagnostic thingy. Will get back to you. Thanks.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
3mg, another trick is to not leave the f@h program running, minimized. I have seen references that there is, allegedly, a memory "leak" in it which can make things go wonky if true. Just open it, have a look-see, and close it by exiting, can't hurt. That may have been an older version being discussed there, but again, it can't hurt to close it when not using it. The client will keep running even with the monitor program closed.
Exactly what I think happened. Let it do its job. Not easy for a newbie.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
OK, for the heck of it, I opened web control, and it started flashing at me.
OK. Let's do this first.

Press your Windows key + the letter R. A box will pop up for the run command. Type Dxdiag in that box and press enter. Let it run to completion, click Save, and then upload the file here as an attachment.
I did that, and no problems were found.

I did another download, removed the program, re-installed, and still get the flashing screen. I'll just use it in Chrome, and be happy.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
There's the problem. I suspect your machine is on the lower end of the spectrum as far as specs go. Running it at full tilt boogie leaves you little room for doing other stuff.

This is my machine:

Code:
System: Host: Bodacious Kernel: 4.10.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.4.6 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) dm: lightdm Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine: Mobo: ASRock model: H110M-DGS R3.0 Bios: American Megatrends v: P1.20 date: 05/10/2017
CPU: Quad core Intel Core i7-6700 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 27264
clock speeds: min/max: 800/4000 MHz 1: 799 MHz 2: 799 MHz 3: 799 MHz 4: 799 MHz 5: 799 MHz
6: 799 MHz 7: 930 MHz 8: 1980 MHz
Memory:  16GB
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Device 67df bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:67df
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: amdgpu (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon RX 480 Graphics GLX Version: 4.5.13453 - CPC Direct Rendering: Yes

Even I have issues getting into some things if I run the client at full.

For yours, I'd set it at medium or even the lowest setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread