• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Help fight cancer with F@H! join team ECF today!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

harmonic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Desoto, Mo
Okay guys help. ...I accidently removed my client. ..How do I get it back?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Removed like uninstalled? Just reinstall and pick the exact same options as the first time and provided you didnt delete the work folder when uninstalling it should pick up right where you left off. If you are concerned it might not pick back up then disable your internet connection while doing the install and don't reenable it untill the client is running with the in progress wu. That way if it doesn't find the right work folder it won't download new any new wu while you are attempting to fix it. If it doesn't find the in progress wu then you will have to figure out where it put the work folder and either install it again with a custom install pointed to the old folder OR move the old work folder to where the new one is while the client isnt running then when you restart the client it should find the old work and resume it...
If you deleted the work folder while uninstalling then its lost and you will just have to start over...

Last edited:

harmonic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Desoto, Mo
See how there are no clients? How do I get them back? There was only one actually that was already there when I started folding, do I have to reinstall the whole program to get it back?

OH. huh it still shows the slots like its connected... have you tried completely closing it down and restarting it?
If you try that and it still doesn't show up I can tell you how to add it OR you can try a reinstall with the same settings as the first time might fix it.

Firewing

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
OH. huh it still shows the slots like its connected... have you tried completely closing it down and restarting it?
If you try that and it still doesn't show up I can tell you how to add it OR you can try a reinstall with the same settings as the first time might fix it.

Can you add more than one client? Does that help move things along faster?

harmonic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Desoto, Mo
Each "client" is basically one computer. If you run fah on more than one computer you can add each one and monitor them all from one window. I currently have four in mine and it would be five but I cant for the life of me get it to connect to my father-in-laws pc through the net even though I can get mine to show up on his client window... Im thinking he must be behind an extra firewall somewhere with his att internet connection....

Firewing

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Each "client" is basically one computer. If you run fah on more than one computer you can add each one and monitor them all from one window. I currently have four in mine and it would be five but I cant for the life of me get it to connect to my father-in-laws pc through the net even though I can get mine to show up on his client window... Im thinking he must be behind an extra firewall somewhere with his att internet connection....

So if I get my mom's IP address I can then add her as a client? That's cool! :)

harmonic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Desoto, Mo
Heh ty I'm a seasoned computer geek. This stuff is right up my alley I just wish I had a decent computer to fold on. And I got the biggest case of computer envy Ive ever had after I saw the one loft built lol Now I need to learn some linux (prolly ubuntu) which I've never really played with much but from what I hear has better hardware access so it folds faster :)

harmonic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Desoto, Mo
So if I get my mom's IP address I can then add her as a client? That's cool! :)

Well you could install fah on her computer if she is ok with that and then you would need to open the ports in both of your firewalls (windows and your internet modem device usually has one) and then if you have her IP then you should be able to add her pc to your client list. But depending on her perticular setup her ip could periodically change (both her public and private network ip) which makes it harder to keep it connected...

Firewing

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Well you could install fah on her computer if she is ok with that and then you would need to open the ports in both of your firewalls (windows and your internet modem device usually has one) and then if you have her IP then you should be able to add her pc to your client list. But depending on her perticular setup her ip could periodically change (both her public and private network ip) which makes it harder to keep it connected...

I told her about it and asked her to start folding and she said she will, is there any advantage of combining forces? Or is both of us running it just as effective? Thank you so much for answering my questions! :D

loft

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
CT
I've been away doing stuff and forgot to turn my client back on, on this machine... whoops! :\

Heh ty I'm a seasoned computer geek. This stuff is right up my alley I just wish I had a decent computer to fold on. And I got the biggest case of computer envy Ive ever had after I saw the one loft built lol Now I need to learn some linux (prolly ubuntu) which I've never really played with much but from what I hear has better hardware access so it folds faster :)

Ubuntu does push out some decent numbers but I think Mint is better rated. Both are (well, were) Debian based depending on the distro. Newer versions of Ubuntu suck for folding but 10.04 LTS (long term support) is what is recommended. The only downside is as of next month it will no longer be supported. Ubuntu isn't the end all / be all for Linux, either. It's good to start on but once you really learn the OS you can see it has limitations. I will be switching to Mint once I have the time and patience which should also allow me to run HFM.net and hopefully pull some more points. I can't, for the life of me, get HFM.net to run on this distro (Ubuntu 10.04) and I also can't configure anything to check temps. Which is why I haven't overclocked the rig yet.

As always, I'm at a constant clash for money to build up rigs / mod my Jeep / other hobbies. I do want to finalize this build and config then move on to one or two more all stacked. It would look similar to this...

CustomTriple4pRack.jpg

Now if I just had about 15 grand laying around... I could upgrade the current one and build two more. Yes I just said upgrade the one I just built... lol :X

loft

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
CT
Holy rusted metal bat man!

Well, the "planned" systems combined would net around 2-3 million points per day. If I built two more like the one I have now I would average 800k-1 million points per day. So cost effective aka PPD/watts used for electricity would be the budget build. But if I ignored electrical costs then the 64 core * 3 systems would be the winner. But I can't devote that much of my salary to this. However if I win the lotto then I will build 10 of them and run them in the basement 24/7 :D

Last edited:

loft

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
CT
Thank you.

Also - if anyone has the funds and patience, I am willing to walk you through buying the parts and assembling it - and configuring Windows / Linux to fold. (I would offer to build for you but shipping would be a PITA)

Note -- Windows 7 retail versions has a limit of two physical CPU's per install meaning you could run two AMD Opteron G34 cpu's max on Windows (I would still recommend Linux)

PM me if you are seriously considering it. Cost would be around $800-$1000 depending on availability of parts, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread