help finding a durable long lasting Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cargo

Apr 26, 2014
Toronto
I cant name all the brands I bought and thrown away but at least 10. Some were Inokikin (mvp, mvp 2,0), (e)ileaf, etc.
The first problem was that any unit with a built in battery became useless because of the cheap quality Micro or mini usb input charging port would stop working making it impossible to recharge the unit rendering it useless.
So i gave up on that style and moved to units that had replaceable/rechargeable batteries figuring that wa a reasonable way to avoid this problem.
But even these mods in the $60 -120 range would start breaking down with cheap led readout or connector components (cheap threading was one problem). I do not drop, misuse or expose the box mods to moisture.
1) can you suggest a brand/model in the sub 100 dollar range that I can expect use for more than a few months.
2)would going with a basic mech mod without readouts be a good option for me because there are less parts to fail

I'm not interested in the marketing hype of 60-80-120 watt mods because I rarely use my kayfuns, i clear 30's', kanger atomizers at more than 8-15 watts anyway..

Please share your experience if you have come across a bullet proof durability/longevity mod.

I know that you get what you pay for (sometimes) but price is a factor for me and I cant afford to buy another unit only to have it turn into a disposable brick in a few months.
I already have a good set of 1860 rechargeables and charger
thanks for your help

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
That's easy given your specs. IMHO, get a ProVari 2.5

Price reduced to $80 plus maybe an extension cap for a 18650. Still under $100. Used to be around $150 roughly but they introduced new models
Built like a battle ship and should last for years
Iv'e had two of my 2.5s for about 2 years and they work perfectly. Iv'e also dropped both of them twice and they continue to function perfectly.
If the look matters you can add a P3 cap for $10 (It's a 510 device regardless) to some of the models
Should fire all your devices since when I use mine I'm in the 4.5 volts range @ around 1.4 OHMS. Ball park translation that's about 13 watts.
It's a regulated variable voltage device
The menu system is a tad "old school" /lol in that it requires a lot of clicks. Perhaps antiquated would be a better description /lol
One year warranty. USA made and serviced. NOT a bat cave in a far away place /lol
Reasonably priced repairs
A track record since around 2009
Uses button top bats only
Others report 4 years or more of perfect use
It's NOT the latest and greatest with all the new form factors and bells and whistles BUT it is perhaps IMHO, THE must rugged device ProVape has ever made.

NOTE: I can assure you that I am NOT a fanboy but your requirements fit so well I thought I would post. I also encourage you to seek other opinions from users of any other device.

Good luck
:)

Edited for clairity

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I cant name all the brands I bought and thrown away but at least 10. Some were Inokikin (mvp, mvp 2,0), (e)ileaf, etc.
The first problem was that any unit with a built in battery became useless because of the cheap quality Micro or mini usb input charging port would stop working making it impossible to recharge the unit rendering it useless.
So i gave up on that style and moved to units that had replaceable/rechargeable batteries figuring that wa a reasonable way to avoid this problem.
But even these mods in the $60 -120 range would start breaking down with cheap led readout or connector components (cheap threading was one problem). I do not drop, misuse or expose the box mods to moisture.
1) can you suggest a brand/model in the sub 100 dollar range that I can expect use for more than a few months.
2)would going with a basic mech mod without readouts be a good option for me because there are less parts to fail

I'm not interested in the marketing hype of 60-80-120 watt mods because I rarely use my kayfuns, i clear 30's', kanger atomizers at more than 8-15 watts anyway..

Please share your experience if you have come across a bullet proof durability/longevity mod.

I know that you get what you pay for (sometimes) but price is a factor for me and I cant afford to buy another unit only to have it turn into a disposable brick in a few months.
thanks for your help

8-15 watts: perfect.

Get a mech with a kick.

I recommend chiyou, king, or astro.
The astro is telescopic.
All three are m21x1 threaded so parts are interchangeable between them as well as my vamo's.

I currently use a nemesis with a kick and the reason I use it is it threads directly to the 3d rda which I acquired a few months ago, so now I don't have 510 thread issues either.

With a kick you also don't have the 5press+wait problem that happens with many regulated mods.

Reactions: SeniorBoy

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

If 15 watts will do you one of the most dependable mods out there is the Provari. Provape are clearing out their V2.5 now for $80 USD. That comes with the 18500 battery tube and the extension for 18650s is another $20. I believe they require button top batteries so you'll have to buy new ones if yours are flat top. Keep in mind that for us in Canada shipping is expensive. You'll definitely want the package insured because if you don't do that and the package is lost in transit you're out of luck. It happened to me once :(. The exchange rate is a factor too. However IMO you won't find a more reliable mod at that price and if you have a problem with it they will repair it. You can also check out the classifieds on ECF for a used one.

IMO Sigelei make pretty good mods. I've had a 150 watt for most of this year. It feels like a tank and has given me no issues. The 100 watt+ is I believe also very dependable. Both require dual batteries so they are pretty big. They have lower power models which run single batts. Canvape carries the 30 watt for $50 CDN but I have no idea how dependable it is so I would do a bit of research before buying one. Keep in mind that just because a mod is capable of 100 watts, you can still run it at 12 watts.

Mechanical mods are quite inexpensive if you buy a clone, however they can be hit or miss. I have a Nemesis clone I bought from Canvape a couple of years back and it is still in my daily rotation. The switch was not smooth when I got it which is a common issue so I polished the bearing surfaces gently and replaced the switch spring with magnets. I clean all the contact surfaces including the threads monthly. I expect it to still be working well for me in a another few years. Not bad for the $35 or so I paid for it. You can also get them from Fasttech for less, but you'll wait a few weeks for delivery.

Keep in mind with mechanical mods there is no protection built in. If you have a short and you don't realize it immediately your battery will heat up fast and can vent. Atty resistance sets your power so you need to build the Kayfun with that in mind and chose clearos with the correct resistance. As your battery voltage drops in use the power will go down as per Ohm's law until you swap batts and it starts over again. 1 ohm will start you off at about 15 watts. 1.5 ohms is about 10 watts.

Good luck with it!

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
thanks for your help

Get one of these ... the Provari 2.5 is only $80 :blink:

ProvariBeatup.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread