Help finding ecig / too many options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim25

Dec 20, 2012
Oakville, Canada
Hey,

I've been using disposibles for a few days now and I was wondering if you would help me find an ecig. I want one that is more or less the size of a cig, I would like a PCC. I don't really understand the differences between carto, clearo, and tank. I want something as maintenance free as possible. I would like to spend as little as possible after I purchase an ecig, so how long do cartos, etc last? How much do you spend a month on vaping necessities?

I was looking at the redds on happyvaper.com, kinda worried about buying cartos. Seems expensive.

What do you think?

Thanks for your feedback,
Jim

Hippieangst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Statesboro, GA
Following up on my previous comment...HappyVaper has some good priced eGo starter kits. I would recommend upgrading to the Variable Voltage (VV) though. If you don't go with that now, you'll be like a lot of us and be ordering some VVs in about a month. I have the 900 mah sized VV and it lasts me just about all day on a charge. When one's dead, plug it in and start vaping with the backup.

Happy vaping and welcome!

Clearomizer: tank that holds juice and the heating element (a coil).
Cartomizer: cartridge + atomizer.

Cartos are a decent way to go because they can last a while and are refillable, but they are a one flavor device.
Clearomizers are good because you can switch out flavors, but these tanks can be finicky.

Last edited:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Hey,

I've been using disposibles for a few days now and I was wondering if you would help me find an ecig. I want one that is more or less the size of a cig, I would like a PCC. I don't really understand the differences between carto, clearo, and tank. I want something as maintenance free as possible. I would like to spend as little as possible after I purchase an ecig, so how long do cartos, etc last? How much do you spend a month on vaping necessities?

I was looking at the redds on happyvaper.com, kinda worried about buying cartos. Seems expensive.

What do you think?

Thanks for your feedback,
Jim

Hi Jim,
If you're looking for cig size and PCC then Smokeless Image are a good choice. They have an excellent reputation here.
They're starter kits are here:
Smokeless Image | The Best Electronic Cigarette

I have some of their Volts myself. You can buy blank cartomizers which you can refill with any juice you like. Works out cheaper.
They also do larger size ecigs:
Smokeless Image | Only The Best Electronic Cigarette | X2 Battery & Battery Accessories

and variable voltage (also larger size):
Smokeless Image | Only The Best Electronic Cigarette | Volt Spinners - Variable Voltage Battery
Discount codes: 10VOLTECF for 10% off entire purchase

CompareOur808d for 15% off cartomizers only

Video review by Phil Busardo here:
A PBusardo Review & CONTEST! - The Volt E-Cig from Smokeless Image - YouTube

Chadshaw

Verified Member
Feb 16, 2011
Virginia
If you start out with the cig look alike you will most likely upgrade at some point, however they can still get the job done. I still use mine on a daily basis on the job, but I have several mods, tanks and such at home. If you get a good quality set up (small batts) it will definitely be a major upgrade over the disposables. Some good small batts in my opinion are smokeless image, bloog, and I've heard good things about the Halo G6 as well. Basically any regulated 808, and use horizontal coil cartos. A good way not to spend too much money on the cartos is to refill them yourself, its really simple and you'll get far more use out of them.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Thanks guys, I'm going to check out those sites. How long does a carto last if you refill yourself? How long is battery life generally, a few years? are atomizers separate or part of carto?

A carto holds 1ml of e-juice. How long it lasts depends on how much you vape. Usually I will have 2-3 with me if using cartomizers. So you can just screw another one on if they run out.
BAttery life is usually about 300 charges. They last about a year - but can last longer than that. I have some year old batteries that still work excellently.
Cartomizers have an atomizer already inside them.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I'd have to suggest a Halo Triton tank system. For $65 you get 2 batteries, 2 tanks, wall charger and USB adapter. Easy to use, easy to fill, no leaks. Search this forum or YouTube for reviews- you won't find a bad one. With Halo you don't have to worry about mixing and matching parts to find out which work best with each other. Their e-juice is also fantastic and formulated to work best with the Triton tanks. Once you go to an easy to use tank system, you'll forget all about carts.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Not going to make a suggestion on hardware to buy, just a note about cartomizers in general. 1) Don't run them until you get a burnt hit, the moment you do, you've scorched the filler and wick material, every hit after that will taste burnt. 2) Don't run them to dry constantly, keeping them topped off regularly will make them last a lot longer. 3 ) You can get more length of use out of them by boiling them to clean them out, then letting them dry over night or couple days before refilling and putting back into service. Average use without boiling them out or scorching them 7-10 days on average, cleaning out you can double or triple their life span.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
What about PG vs VG liquid? Does the PV you use affect this? Personal preference?

What do I need to fill cartos? Syringe? Is there a good youtube tutorial?

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

PG enhances nicotine delivery which improves throat hit. It also enhances flavor. VG is where most of the vapor comes from. I like my PG/VG anywhwere from 90/10 to 70/30. I get lots of vapor whichever I use. Some people like 50/50. VG is much thicker than PG, so if you go high VG then you have thick juice not suited to all attachments.

Video on carto filling for you:

A carto will take about 20 drops.
Some people use what is called the "condom method". I tried the condom method for a while - its messier and I didn't see any real advantage so I have not used it for a long time. Dripping into the top, as per the video, has always worked better for me.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
What about PG vs VG liquid? Does the PV you use affect this? Personal preference?

What do I need to fill cartos? Syringe? Is there a good youtube tutorial?

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

When I was in my carto phase, I used a Johnson Creek ePump

epump.jpg

Jim25

Dec 20, 2012
Oakville, Canada
I think I'll try an 808 style ecig. I usually use my disposables while I'm out as I never really smoked that much at home.

I'm not 100% sure the use of that pump. Is it just a convenient way to dispense the juice?

Great vid, thanks Kiwi that clears it up. I find theres a heck of a lot of confusion when one is new to a newer industry.

So clearos and tanks are the same, right?

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
I think I'll try an 808 style ecig. I usually use my disposables while I'm out as I never really smoked that much at home.

I'm not 100% sure the use of that pump. Is it just a convenient way to dispense the juice?

Great vid, thanks Kiwi that clears it up. I find theres a heck of a lot of confusion when one is new to a newer industry.

So clearos and tanks are the same, right?

Clearos can be tanks, but there are different kinds of tanks. Clearos have wicks in them, but there are also cartomizer tanks. For the cig size batteries you want to make sure you use something that isn't too large. Really with the 808 cig size batteries, cartomizers are the best in my opinion, They don't leak, are easy to attach and easy to refill.
Clearomizers are usually used with the next stage "fatt batts". Although there are nanos which can be used with the small 808s. But I never had a great time with the nanos -the leaked and didn't last long for me.

stealthmayhem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2013
Dover, Delaware, United States
Clearomizers are usually used with the next stage "fatt batts". Although there are nanos which can be used with the small 808s. But I never had a great time with the nanos -the leaked and didn't last long for me.

I guess I am at the "Fatt Batt" stage with my Ego-clone 1100 mah.

Last edited:

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
So can all 808 models work together, regardless of brand?

Yes, all 808s fitting fit together.
In the UK, the 808 market is almost over. Finished. If you buy a mini ecig kit with 808 fittings, you are effectively tying yourself into the 1 or 2 brands remaining, although that doesn't have to include the e-liquid.

I started with an 808 PCC kit before discovering ego batteries. Somewhat "shy" about vaping on larger kit, I ordered a pair of Joyetech 510 batteries (non PCC) to use around work and out and about. I felt the performance of Joye 510 manual batteries was better than my 808 batteries. However, these "comparisons" are always going to come down to the power of the battery and the resistance of the cartomisers.

I'm sure 808 was a great fitting and there may be vendors stacked high with lots of 808 hardware. Personally, I wouldn't recommend this fitting anymore.

On a UK forum yesterday, someone suggested his "eroll" was far superior to my plain Joyetech 510s with LR Boge cartomisers.
It's possible (of course) but my minis with cartos vape at nearly 7.5 watts. I'm not sure an eroll gets up there....and I'm also fairly sure e-liquids taste better in a good cartomiser rather than the disappointing Joyetech "tank" system with atomizers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread