Help from old school vapers please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virtual Life

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2012
Miami, FL, USA
I ask for old timers simply because they will know where I am coming from, they will have experience with my hardware.

I use IBtanked and Smoktech tanks. Yep, cartomizers. I have 2 Vamo's and 2 VTR's and an SVD. 18 of the 10A 18650 batteries (all 2900 mah Samsung) which are fine for this hardware. But now all my mods are showing glitches and they are old, and batteries are requiring charging more often. Cartomizers are harder to come by, especially the single coil ones. So I must accept that all of this hardware is dying. I am/was content while it worked but seems I must move on now.

I remember reading a lot when I started vaping, I mean a lot. Selecting my hardware was a time consuming process so I am asking for a nudge towards similar hardware.

My usage is such that I call it my pacifier, never without it. I fill a bunch of tanks then go days without having do anything but switch tanks and batteries. Simplicity was/is a primary criteria. I don't need clouds and I prefer more PG than VG for the flavor and longevity. I do like the fact that all of my batteries will fit every mod I have and any tank will fit every mod. Reliability is important and if need be I will replace everything I have, compatibility between them is still desired. I can drop a few bones without worrying but never saw the need for the more expensive mods (just frugal). I do like VW over VV but not a deal breaker. Don't need Temp Control or Dual Coil but I guess that wouldn't make me run either. (yes I am ancient) Oh, and mega size tanks would be nice.

I think most important is simplicity. I really like loading a bunch of tanks then I can go days only changing tanks and batteries. Safety also important, notice that my mods cannot exceed my batteries so whatever I get will have to be equally “fool proof”. I know nothing is, but you get the drift.

Geez things have changed a LOT since I started! Feels like nothing I learned is useful now. I know I can still get replacements for all that I have but if I have to replace everything may as well update.

As an afterthought I have some PT2's and (single) coils that have been in a drawer about 2 years. Loaded three of them with new coils and let them sit overnight and got burnt taste in 5-6 hits. Do those coils go bad? Makes no sense but 3 times? I only applied 7 watts so that isn't why.

birdofparadise

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2010
I would definitely agree with daleron, to go with that Provari and for the topper I would suggest a Kayfun Mini V3 or clone of that since you seem to be a MTL vaper. The Kayfun is easy to build and you can rewick it regularly as needed, I've only had to build a coil for it once and I've been using it exclusively for over a month. I've been rewicking every 4 or 5 days with organic hemp wicking.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Virtual, I definitely agree with all the suggestions here. I believe a Provari is a must-have (or several Provaris). If you don't choose to build coils right now, the Aspire Nautilus tanks are marvelous. Eventually you may either want to or have to start building your own, and if/when, I give another thumbs up for the Kayfuns. I find the larger Kayfun Lites a bit easier to build than the Minis. The Mini series does have a larger version which holds almost twice as much as its smaller sibling. (Kayfun Mini v3 Plus)

Another great suggestion you received is the Coolfire4 with swappable 18650 battery capability. It's quite a nice little (somewhat heavy) device, and I happen to love Innokin quality.

Best of luck to you. You sound just like me in terms of vape history!

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
I'll add to the Provari club, the discount page with the v2.5's is crazy, $30 for a P-thingy? I'd think about a couple maybe.
I'm also a Kayfun lite fan, incredible flavor and easy to build. Nice tight draw, holds lots of juice and typically don't leak. Coming from a carto tank I think you'll love it.
I'll also add no matter what you buy, make sure it has a replaceable battery, for a lot of reasons!
Hope this helps.

Reactions: NavVet1969

subwayaznm

A Geek with a Cool slice
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2016
USA
Another vote for the Prover,(@ProVape) check the Specials link at the top of the page. And can't go wrong with the Aspire Nautilus or the Mini if you don't want to make your own Coils as yet. And the Kayfum Mini V3 if you wouldn't mind the Coil building.

All three Tanks mentioned are Excellent Mouth to Lung style Tanks that are simply Rock Solid; couple that with a Prover 2.5 (@ProVape)and you'll be set for quite some time. I still have my original Provari from five years ago and I still use it.
And by the way I would invest in a few new Batteries;):)

Kinda have to agree that I got my monies worth from it already.

Last edited:
Reactions: NavVet1969

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I still use IBTanked carto tanks. In fact, a 22ml XL that I have been using for three years hit the floor last night. These hold 5 ml of juice. I ordered new glass from IBTanked today. Single coil XL cartos? Easy. I still buy them at Hoosier E-cig where I have purchased them for the last five years.

Dying tech or not, I'm not ready to change quite yet. I have enough Sigelei Zmax V5s and replacement switches to last me a lifetime. It works for me.

Last edited:

duc916

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Nor Cal
I have some PT2's and (single) coils that have been in a drawer about 2 years. Loaded three of them with new coils and let them sit overnight and got burnt taste in 5-6 hits. Do those coils go bad? Makes no sense but 3 times? I only applied 7 watts so that isn't why.

The burnt taste is likely from the silica making poor contact inside the coil, or just slow wicking. Cotton is so much better at wicking than silica and will easily last 10x (in your case maybe 1000) longer than the best factory made crap that Kanger puts out. PT2 heads are fairly easy to re-coil/wick using cotton and 28-30 ga kanthal... youtube has lots of videos showing how easy it comes apart. I always used KGD cotton and a 30ga micro-coil at ~ 1.5 ohm. Microcoils are just easier to clean/rewick. It would last weeks before I ever thought of doing a rewick. If you're happy at 7W and high PG, I'd look into that first before investing too much in hardware you don't need.

Virtual Life

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2012
Miami, FL, USA
Thanks for all of the replies. I always liked this site for the helpful people here.
I see Provari is still very popular around here. A few years ago they cost so much I never really considered it. Now the less expensive model won't use 18650's which is SOOOO common elsewhere which takes them off of my list.

I did order the Coolfire 4 that does take 18650 and got some new 30A Sony. I also ordered the Aspire Cleito and the fat body glass. I think I still want something similar to the CF4, and thanks to Paul. I am likely to try the Nautilus or Atlantis but want to use my first Aspire before proceeding. Really not interested in rebuilding, tried that with the PT.

Maybe I should rethink the P word since it has retained so much popularity for years. MUST be a reason for that.

I do get my cartomizers from Hoosier but I like the 2 hole single coil 2.0ohm and have had to get 1.7? and have got 3 hole trying to stay near my preference. They are not consistent or I have just got real unlucky multiple times.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulBHC

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I do get my cartomizers from Hoosier but I like the 2 hole single coil 2.0ohm and have had to get 1.7? and have got 3 hole trying to stay near my preference. They are not consistent or I have just got real unlucky multiple times.

I purchase the Smok 2.0 ohm single coil XL stainless steel cartos, unpunched. I punch them myself with 4 holes near the carto base. I find the quality is very consistent from box to box. I spot check them with a DMM before punching and the resistance is usually within plus or minus .1 ohm. Once in a great while I find one that is plus or minus .2 ohm.The only thing that varies with these Smok cartos is the alignment of the air tube inside the carto. Most of the time this is not perfectly centered. The only effect that this has (that I can find) on vapor production is how many drops of liquid are required inside the carto after each cartotank refilling. Sometimes four drops, sometimes up to seven are needed. Adding these drops enhances carto lifespan. Each carto is different in this respect but there is no effect on flavor. I use DIY unflavored.

019.jpg

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes

I could never get Smok's to run for me. It'd be flooded and still give me a dry or burnt hit. Maybe they were all those 1.7 Ressurecter's.
    I should give the 2.0 a try someday.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    Did someone say low power VV/VW?

I just scored 2 of these on July 4th. Still have white and silver available. Can't say much about them tho. Can't remember if I actually vaped on one yet. Just added them to my collection.

SMOK SID

The reason I haven't paid much attention to the SIDs is because this fantasmic little mod showed up at the same time and instantly became my go to vape!
    ONLY BLUE AVAILABLE.
    KSD Vamo Box Mod 25W

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Did someone say low power VV/VW?

I just scored 2 of these on July 4th. Still have white and silver available. Can't say much about them tho. Can't remember if I actually vaped on one yet. Just added them to my collection.

SMOK SID

The reason I haven't paid much attention to the SIDs is because this fantasmic little mod showed up at the same time and instantly became my go to vape!
    ONLY BLUE AVAILABLE.
    KSD Vamo Box Mod 25W
    Neat little box

Reactions: Foggy Road

jwilkers

Nov 25, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I use a vamo and will order more svd 2's. I use ego threaded dual coil cartons...t3d And equivalent. That's all I use.. That's all I will use. I imagine the low cost stuff will remain...otherwise, the industry will price itself out of business.

AntiSquid disclaimer: All information provided is personal opinion only and may or may not resemble actual fact.

Reactions: Foggy Road

yzer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 23, 2011
    Northern California
    I posted above that I ordered replacement tubes (plus O-rings and washers) from IBTanked on Tuesday. It seems like mine will be one of their last orders. The site now says that they are closing the business but existing orders will be filled soon. They also offer the option of canceling orders by phone. I'll wait out the order. I should have enough IBTanked supplies to last me for many years. Sorry to see IBTanked go away.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread