Help me connect the dots on what is causing my liquid issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcC

Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Louisiana
I think i maybe sensitive to an ingredient (or group of) in some liquids. My assumption is that it is Ethyl alcohol but i am not sure. Is there more EA in sweet flavorings? This may sound odd but when i vape or even smell a liquid that has what ever this is in it i get a headache. PG/VG mix changes nothing as far as i can tell but all that bother me have a strong sweet perfume smell. If needed i can list a few that cause the problems. This is nothing to do with quality, just trying to find why i cant vape certain liquids.

Thanks in advance,
Marc

SouthernBliss

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ga, USA
My assumption is that it is Ethyl alcohol but i am not sure.

Ethyl alcohol, if I remember correctly, is pretty much the same thing as grain alcohol. It is used by some companies/people to extract flavors.

Is there more EA in sweet flavorings?

I think you mean Ethyl Maltol. Which very likely would be present in some sweeter flavors. Though some people use sucralose (not sure I spelled that correctly) instead. Ethyl Maltol is what they make cotton candy from so if you can eat cotton candy then that may not be it.

but all that bother me have a strong sweet perfume smell.

Is the smell present after a couple of weeks of steeping/maturing? And is it the part giving you the problems? You may just be trying to vape them before they have had time for things like alcohol used to distill the flavors to evaporate and the rest of the flavoring to meld together.

There are however some people who are more sensitive to pg and some who are sensitive to vg and need to adjust ratios because of that. I guess the question is are you having allergy seeming issues or are just hating the flavor?

MarcC

Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Louisiana
Thanks for the replies..

The smell seems to slowly dissipate while steeping but i am still sensitive to the liquid. Thing is, what ever it is that gives me a headache is not present in all flavors from each manufacturer. It shouldnt be nicotine as only certain flavors cause issues. I can vape any pg/vg mix with no problems.This is what brings me to assume it is an additive or flavorings used in those liquids. Usually the flavors that dont agree with me are sweet or at least seem sweet so i dont buy those. I keep my wife's friends in liquid with all the stuff i cant vape

I can vape:

BWB espresso,ry4,ejoker,the tobaccos
epipe juice all
alien visions all i tried
vapor station frisco,seattle ,tenn
moondrop straightup line and ry42

I cant vape:
Plume room
highbrow
moondrop hummingbird wine and sweets
altcig
HHV serendipity,dragons breath(week old, open top, hot water bathed,voodoo spell cast,holding mouth in exactly the right way)love the flavor but it is covered by an overly sweet perfume thing going on.
VS fruits

I hope someone notices a pattern in these,really tired of giving away a good chunk of all the new liquids i try.

SouthernBliss

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ga, USA
One week is often not enough steep time for the perfumy e-liquids. I've had several that were two weeks minimum. And yes that was even with a couple of days of open top and warm water to speed things up. After the wait though the perfume smell and flavor vanished and they mellowed out a good deal. Rather than give them away I suggest you put them on a shelf and leave them for another couple of weeks and see what happens. If they are still a no go then give them away.

MarcC

Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Louisiana
I ordered 6 absolute samples- the three tobaccos(peach,plain,chocolate),coffee,hazel nut,swiss almond(probably pushing it with this one but i love chocolate almonds). I will post when i get them in....really want these to be good.
Thanks again,
Marc

EDIT--sachavaca, sorry to hear about your liquid issues.I hope we all figure out what the deal is. There has to be a bunch of us RIGHT? I keep thinking that the answer is out there and i just dont know what to ask about/for. Going to check out wordup now..

Last edited:

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
Just a head's up--you will likely need to steep them for a while. If you haven't been to this thread, VV is sort of a love-it or hate-it kind of juice.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ion/412942-virgin-vapor-really-who-vapes.html

I personally really like the (only two) juices I got from them, but they did need to sit for a while.

I did get the regular line (so quite alcohol-y) so it's quite possible the Absolute will be different out of the box. Just wanted to give you the head's up as it was not quite what I expected after the rave reviews. After getting used to them, I really really like them now.

synergis7

Quitter
Jul 13, 2012
USA
Thanks for the replies..

I can vape any pg/vg mix with no problems.This is what brings me to assume it is an additive or flavorings used in those liquids. Usually the flavors that dont agree with me are sweet or at least seem sweet so i dont buy those. I keep my wife's friends in liquid with all the stuff i cant vape

I hope someone notices a pattern in these,really tired of giving away a good chunk of all the new liquids i try.

I'd highly recommend trying some natural, organic juice- which you can get in a 50/50 PG/VG if you want very easily.

Obviously I'm not a doctor...but some juice gives me a wicked headache, and it's usually the sweet fruity ones. Not all, but some. Been posting about aspartame and sucralose a lot tonight (I'll leave at at saying I think they're harmful.) Anyway, haven't had an organic juice yet that gives me a headache, sweet or not :)

SouthernBliss

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ga, USA
I really hope these work out for you Marc. But if they do come and smell/taste perfumy put them on a shelf for a couple of weeks and see if that does not dissipate before you count them out.

BTW, it is possible to have sensitivities and even a mild allergy to something without really being aware of it. It can depend on how often you are around/experience something for example. I'm allergic to corn myself (its common actually) but the only way it expressed itself was precluding the ability to smell and it only happens if I have products that contain corn or corn derivatives all the time. In other words if I don't eat processed foods, drink things with corn syrup and so forth for few weeks I can smell things like everyone else. I can tolerate even tolerate mild doses of corn with no change in my ability to smell but not getting it constantly in everything.

I've also realized I have a mild allergic reaction to high cinnamon content in e-juices. The more cinnamon in the liquid the more hives I get. If it is a small enough amount nothing happens however. Of course I only get the reaction to cinnamon if the flavoring has natural cinnamon rather than artificial so that wouldn't totally preclude a cinnamon flavoring for me. Someone else might be the other way around and have a reaction to the artificial and not the natural cinnamon.

When I was about 7 my grandmother had a bumper crop of strawberries one year. All I did all weekend at her house was wander around and eat strawberries. Sunday night at home, after that last slice of strawberry pie, I broke out in hives. And then broke out in hives ever time I so much as nibbled fresh strawberries for about 15 years. Eventually the sensitivity went away luckily. You can develop a sensitivity seemingly out of nowhere.

There is a really wide variety of things that people could potentially be sensitive to that are used in E-juices so it could be very hard to pin down what it is unless your really watching what you do. But don't forget that most of the flavoring used is also used in things that we likely eat all the time already. I eat cinnamon all the time and nothing ever happens. Some people are more sensitive to some artificial flavorings and some people might have trouble with sucralose (if you have trouble with spenda you would have trouble with sucralose sweetener). And based on my own experience some people will have issues with concentrations of things they cheerfully tolerate regularly. Some methods of flavor prep may be easier on person A's system while a different prep system may be better for person B. E-juice is very seldom one size fits all it seems.

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
OP I was wondering if u have any problems with consuming other types of products as in food, drink etc? Do u or have u had allergies? Also without me googling are headaches prone to the additives u mention?[/]

No,
no allergies
Dont know, that is the reason for this thread.

Reason I asked was I've read not sure where in ECF, that is highly possible for certain types of allergies to worsen or possibly come to life mainly due to withdrawal from smoking, yes even in a case where it only occurs with certain liquids etc. hope this helps.

I'm not a doctor, I'd suggest u get to see one just in case, but that's up to you mate. GL hope u feel better soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread