help me pick a PV

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyro12

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2011
Pittsburgh
Hello,
I've been lurking here for a couple of days trying to take in as much info as I can. I'm done. Brain = full.
35 yr+ analog smoker here. For the last 5 or so of those years, I've been smoking rollies with an ultra slimline filter in them. This makes for a very lite smoke w/ very low nicotine. There IS a lot of flavor and a decent Throat Hit, though. I smoke them perpetually one after another pretty much all day long. My daily cost is about $6.50 for about 40 rollies...

On a whim last week, I bought an FS210TA from my local Smoker Friendly. One battery, 4 carts, and a charger for $70 plus tax (I know I paid too much but I just wanted it NOW). I now know this to be a rebranded KR808-D1, VaporKing, etc (see? I did lurk!) Anyhow, it came with two med carts and two high. They blow me away! I can't smoke them more than one hit every 15 minutes. I WANT to smoke more of them, but I'm getting a headache, racing heart. etc from too much nicotine. I don't really want to raise my nic tolerance. I went back in a few days and got the a pack of 4 low nic carts ($20) and they are better but I still can't smoke them perpetually which is what I like to do.

Anyhow, I'd say the TH from the KR808-D1 is great. I would like a lot more vape, though. I would also like something much smaller - it's more than twice the length and thickness of what I'm used to. If I bum a king sized Camel Lite from someone or something it feels HUGE to me (and it will give me a mild headache) so you can imagine how this KR808-D1 feels.

I've looked at the Volcano, Red Dragon, Bloog, 501, the eGo and more. I'm picturing carrying a PCC with a few ecigs that I'll go through in about 6-7 hours and need to recharge. I also want to be able to keep the nic very low and the vape very high and some semblance of a TH.

I AM absolutely addicted to nicotine (2 hours without is tough) but just a slow, steady stream of it - not the 'spikes' most smokers seem to get.

Suggestions?

Sorry for the really long first post, but I'm lost. Really lost. I'm also excited by the prospect of going 'smoke free.'

Thanks.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Hello,
Suggestions?

Sorry for the really long first post, but I'm lost. Really lost. I'm also excited by the prospect of going 'smoke free.'

Thanks.

There are alot of choices out there........When I give a PV to a friend who wants to start vaping I go to Liberty Flights web site and buy a Joye Ego to give them. Also usually buy a 5 ml bottle of low nicotine juice for them......Last I looked there was a special Ego for ECF for about 40 bucks for the kit, which included 2 complete PV's, charger, and etc.....(make sure and "click" on the 20% discount before shopping the web site.........

IMO the Ego is a good unit to start with, at a reasonable price, that is why I buy them to give to new vapers.....

Again, there alot of PV's out there, and what suits one may not be desirable to another.......good luck........

FatBill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
CT
First Congrats on going analog free. Second. welcome to ECF this place has a ton of good info and great people. I use an Joye Ego (LibertyFlights) and love it. I think the battery life is great. I also wanted a low nic juice so I could vape away. I use a drip tip and drip a few drops into the ego and vape away. Then repeat. I have converted my whole family (ones who smoked analogs.) to the ego and vaping. Since then we have together moved at least 10-15 others to our vaping world. We are just starting some DIY juices soon... anyways my vote is the Ego or the Riva at Liberty Flights. Don't forget to use the 20 percent off discount on the upper left corner.

FatBill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
CT
For juices I recommend a 6mg or 12mg. I also would recommend a higher one that you could fall back on just in case. Thats up to you to decide tho. Vendors I've used...Backwoods Brew, Ms. T's Bakery, Dfw vapor and Alien Visions. There all great. There are lots of vendors for juice I will try because of great reviews here

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
Hi and welcome to ECF. If you want slim and light the eGo and Riva aren't going to fit the bill. If you want a long lasting battery that's where those units shine. You don't say how long your KR8 battery lasts you, but they're 280 milliamp hour (mah) batteries. A 510 is slightly lighter and a bit smaller but uses a 180 mah battery. Most people get discouraged with the short battery life rather quickly. But, if you want small you'll pretty much have to put up with that aspect.

About the smallest and lightest of the decent e-cigs on the market is the M403. It too has a small battery, smaller than the 510. It is kind of known as a light hitter so if you want lots of vapor and throat hit it's not going to deliver.

Here's a link to a good vendor that carries all these models. Electronic Cigarette Supplies & Electronic Cigarette Refills for Name-Brand Electronic Cigarettes! E-Cigs from LiteCigUSA
If you have any questions just ask Shawn, the owner, on the Contact Us page and he'll usually get back to you pretty quick with an answer.

Goldenkobold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Hello,
I've been lurking here for a couple of days trying to take in as much info as I can. I'm done. Brain = full.
35 yr+ analog smoker here. For the last 5 or so of those years, I've been smoking rollies with an ultra slimline filter in them. This makes for a very lite smoke w/ very low nicotine. There IS a lot of flavor and a decent Throat Hit, though. I smoke them perpetually one after another pretty much all day long. My daily cost is about $6.50 for about 40 rollies...

On a whim last week, I bought an FS210TA from my local Smoker Friendly. One battery, 4 carts, and a charger for $70 plus tax (I know I paid too much but I just wanted it NOW). I now know this to be a rebranded KR808-D1, VaporKing, etc (see? I did lurk!) Anyhow, it came with two med carts and two high. They blow me away! I can't smoke them more than one hit every 15 minutes. I WANT to smoke more of them, but I'm getting a headache, racing heart. etc from too much nicotine. I don't really want to raise my nic tolerance. I went back in a few days and got the a pack of 4 low nic carts ($20) and they are better but I still can't smoke them perpetually which is what I like to do.

Anyhow, I'd say the TH from the KR808-D1 is great. I would like a lot more vape, though. I would also like something much smaller - it's more than twice the length and thickness of what I'm used to. If I bum a king sized Camel Lite from someone or something it feels HUGE to me (and it will give me a mild headache) so you can imagine how this KR808-D1 feels.

I've looked at the Volcano, Red Dragon, Bloog, 501, the eGo and more. I'm picturing carrying a PCC with a few ecigs that I'll go through in about 6-7 hours and need to recharge. I also want to be able to keep the nic very low and the vape very high and some semblance of a TH.

I AM absolutely addicted to nicotine (2 hours without is tough) but just a slow, steady stream of it - not the 'spikes' most smokers seem to get.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Some of your requirements can be met by just changing your ejuice some would possibly need a new device,
Nothing wrong with a kr808 if you like it, you could try a juice with more vegetable glycerin (VG) in it, this normally produces a thicker vapor...I like thicker vapor myself.

As far as getting smaller than a kr808 you can get a mini kr808...there are a few vendors that have them, they will still be compatible with your current unit as far as cartomizers go..if it is a kr808.
Don did a fantastic review of the bloog mini with a nice little size chart on it here http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...13-maxx-fusion-finally-vapable-supermini.html

I would suggest picking up one mini battery some higher VG juice...giving it a try see if you like it.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Generally the smaller you go the weaker it will be and the shorter the battery life will be. Also KR808D-1 is a full 3.7v battery and runs hotter than the others you listed.

510 runs a bit cooler than KR808D-1 and those two model lines are what I would most recommend - they are the most recommended, the most supported threadings for adapters and styles of cartomizers. I use the 510 with standard blank cartomizers and that makes it about 1cm shorter.

510 and KR808D-1 Shorty - 180 mah = 2-3 hours for a light to moderate vaper, cut that in half for heavy vaping
510 mega xl and KR808D-1 standard - 280mah = 3-5 hours for light to moderate vaper, cut that in half for heavy vaping

And I recommend manual batteries - they are less susceptible to getting killed by juice drips (the 510 manuals are totally sealed on the end). They won't turn on by accident from wind or vibration. And I think they are less work and you have more control of your hit.

BTW - V2 seems to be an overpriced badly-stocked KR808D-1 or at least have the same threading. Greensmoke is a KR808D-2 aka E9, a different threading favored by ripoff rebranders who don't want their customers getting supplies anywhere else.

For the BIG hit you have to go fatter - fat battery models like Ego and Riva 510 which have long battery life and tough enough electronics to handle the higher power draw of hotter harder hitting ;ow resistance (LR) atomizers and cartos. Or go to a totally different shape with a high-voltage mod.

Last edited:

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
Low-nic is pretty easy to come by, lots of liquid vendors sell 6mg or 8mg liquids which is very low to start with... but lots of vendors also sell 0mg liquids (no nic)... so you can mix it down to whatever amount of super-low nic you like. You'll have to fill your own carts (mostly that's what we all do).

But you've got two requirements that are in direct conflict with one another.

* small sized device
* constant vaping

Small size means not a lot of battery capacity, so fairly limited in how long a batt will last. I guess you could get a whole bunch (5 or 6 or more) of small batts and cycle thru them, and get a 6 or 9 port powered USB charging hub to plug them all into in the evening. There is a shorty KR8 batt with a 180 mah capacity.

Last edited:

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV

You are going to have to make a decision between between a small battery and one that last for more than a few hours.
If you decide on an Ego or 510
Electronic Cigarette - Starter Kits - Joye 510
Also pick up some juice and cartomizers.
Since you already have a KR808-D1 and decide on a smaller battery the Bloog or one from
KR808d-1 Kit & KR808d-1 Batteries | KR808d-1 Starter Kit | KR808d-1 PCC Kit
may be a good choice.

randyith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Hey welcome. Wish you luck. My recommendation is to start off with a quality Mod over $125. Too many people upgrade and upgrade and upgrade and end up spending a lot more than just buying an Omega or Provari from day one. What good is it to have 5 e-cigs you bought but you are are vaping the last one. In the long run it cost more money.

shooter59

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
Central Indiana
Hey Pyro,
Congrats on the switch. Been 40 years for me, and the E-cig is the only thing that saved me.
I tried a few of the "gas station" cigs but either got poor mechanics or crappy flavor.
After some more googling I ran into the Bloog. The Maxx Fusion just came out last year.
This device is wonderful. Feels great in the hand. Good fit and finish. Super vapor and very nice flavors.
Multiple strengths of nicotine in each flavor makes for a nice variety for your vaping pleasure.
Take a look at bloog.com. Let me know if you're interested and I can get you a discount code.

Good luck and keep on Blooging.

18 days clean. 700 cigarettes NOT smoked.

pyro12

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2011
Pittsburgh
BTW - V2 seems to be an overpriced badly-stocked KR808D-1 or at least have the same threading. Greensmoke is a KR808D-2 aka E9, a different threading favored by ripoff rebranders who don't want their customers getting supplies anywhere else.

uh oh. Is there an easy way to find out if I have a D-1 or a D-2? I guess at this point I have 8 carts (5 of them drained) so I cold just get some juice and play with them for awhile before I make any more impulse buys...

I got a ruler out and did some measuring; my rollies are 73mm including filter. My K8 (or whatever it is) with cart attached is about 123mm. I guess saying twice as long was a bit of an exaggeration.

I don't want to try a mini bat until I'm sure it'll work with my carts/charger. Dormouse has me nervous about that. More googling had led me to this site: http://freedomsmokeless.com/index.php I think that's what I have, but still not sure if it's a K8.

When that site says the 510s are 112mm, is that just that batt or is that 'fully assembled?" I have to admit they look pretty slick.

pyro12

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2011
Pittsburgh
kp4ir.jpg

hope that works - gotta run to work now

PButter

Mar 8, 2011
USA
The 510 is a mini, and with a "cartomizer" instead of the atomizer/cart combo it can be pretty short, the battery life is only about 2-3hrs though. I've had mine for about 2 weeks and I'm ready to upgrade to a bigger battery--like right NOW.

(510 is the name of an e-cig AND a type of screw threading... so all 510 parts will work with all 510 models. Like the 510 atty would work on the 510-eGo/Riva... although you shouldn't use low resistance (LR) attys on a standard 510 batt, it's not powerful enough)

People are suggesting the bigger 510 Ego/Riva, it has the bigger/fatter battery that could potentially last all day. I think I'm going with the Riva with my mini for back up.

It's a trade off....

as for juice, I started with 6mg stuff & bought some 0nic of the same flavors so I could tone it down even more if I needed too. I'm like you, I like to vape/smoke all day... but even the 6mg made me dizzy and gave me a headache ( and I smoked MB Reds)
and I don't know if you have read about drip tips... I use the 510 mini, a 510 regular atty, and a drip tip. I drip 1-2 drops in the atty & can vape 7-8x and drip again. I don't use the carts/cartomizers on a regular basis at all.

Good luck. Sorry I don't know what e-cig you already have, but I bet you can find parts/adapters for it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread