Help me wick my brunhilde MTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abady

Jun 25, 2020
Hi. I used pods for about a year and just started using this RTA less than a month ago.

I'm having a hard time making my wicks last over a couple of days. I never taste any dry hits... but after a day or so I start getting a burnt taste that just keeps getting worse till I can't take it anymore and then I end up changing my cotton. It doesn't make any sense that I have to change my wick every 8 ml of juice.

At first I thought that this is happening because I don't usually fill the tank more than half way and maybe the SS rope is having a hard time wicking my cotton so maybe this is why it's burning... keeping the tank over half full didn't help.

I read that hot spots at the edges of the coil could be the problem as it will gunk quickly which might be cause the wick inside the coil not to saturate enough.... I fixed that... it didn't help

I did my research.... too much cotton does that... I reduced the amount of cotton inside the coil but the problem is still there.... Maybe I didn't reduce it enough, but I know if there's too little cotton I would still get a dry hit.
I read that I need to feel "some" resistance when inserting the cotton in the coil but not "too much".... I think I'm stuck figuring out if this is my issue.

I use 2.5 ml alien MTL wire. I use both vapefly firebolt cotton and cloud 9... Coil resistance range between 0.9 and 1.6.... never smoke above 14w.

Here are a couple of pics after 1 day of using fresh cotton.

HELP!

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    995.3 KB · Views: 432
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    804.8 KB · Views: 435

Javichu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2020
Spain
Hi. I used pods for about a year and just started using this RTA less than a month ago.

I'm having a hard time making my wicks last over a couple of days. I never taste any dry hits... but after a day or so I start getting a burnt taste that just keeps getting worse till I can't take it anymore and then I end up changing my cotton. It doesn't make any sense that I have to change my wick every 8 ml of juice.

At first I thought that this is happening because I don't usually fill the tank more than half way and maybe the SS rope is having a hard time wicking my cotton so maybe this is why it's burning... keeping the tank over half full didn't help.

I read that hot spots at the edges of the coil could be the problem as it will gunk quickly which might be cause the wick inside the coil not to saturate enough.... I fixed that... it didn't help

I did my research.... too much cotton does that... I reduced the amount of cotton inside the coil but the problem is still there.... Maybe I didn't reduce it enough, but I know if there's too little cotton I would still get a dry hit.
I read that I need to feel "some" resistance when inserting the cotton in the coil but not "too much".... I think I'm stuck figuring out if this is my issue.

I use 2.5 ml alien MTL wire. I use both vapefly firebolt cotton and cloud 9... Coil resistance range between 0.9 and 1.6.... never smoke above 14w.

Here are a couple of pics after 1 day of using fresh cotton.

HELP!

You need to say Brunhilde three times then @Daniel Forsyth will appear.

He is the leader of our Brunhilde Club,he is the master of his own domain,he will teach you the secret art of wicking a Brunhilde,oh yes he will.

Abady

Jun 25, 2020
What Juice are you using?
I have some juice that nukes the wick after a day and some juice that where the wick last a week easily.

I use several kinds tbh. All nic salts 25-30mg (50/50). Nothing "too" sweet... berries, mango etc... I pray its not the juice. I aim to reduce the thickness of my wick tonight and see if things get better.

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

Redbird11

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2020
Missouri, USA
He is the leader of our Brunhilde Club,he is the master of his own domain,he will teach you the secret art of wicking a Brunhilde,oh yes he will.
giphy.gif

This was my first thought when reading your post. Probably from watching Karate Kid at 2 in the morning earlier this week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Abady

Javichu

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2020
Spain
Wish i could help but the Brunhilde i recently ordered won't be here for a month or so (that is being optimistic hehe)

But @Daniel Forsyth is without a doubt the forum user that owns the most Brunhildes,he has quite a collection.
So im hoping he logs in soon so he can give you a hand.

cheers

giphy.gif

This was my first thought when reading your post. Probably from watching Karate Kid at 2 in the morning earlier this week.

rofl good one.
but don't remind me of Karate Kid,still waiting for season 3 of Cobra Kai,the wait is killing me...

Redbird11

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2020
Missouri, USA
Wish i could help but the Brunhilde i recently ordered won't be here for a month or so (that is being optimistic hehe)

But @Daniel Forsyth is without a doubt the forum user that owns the most Brunhildes,he has quite a collection.
So im hoping he logs in soon so he can give you a hand.

cheers

rofl good one.
but don't remind me of Karate Kid,still waiting for season 3 of Cobra Kai,the wait is killing me...
I have only watched Season 1 so far, but I love it.

Javichu

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2020
Spain
G'day @Abady :thumb:
Here's how I wick my Brunhilde:)
View attachment 894315
Actually I'll come back after another coffee and show you a more manly wayo_O

Nah buddy,leave it like that,pink is my color:

GetAttachment3.jpg

Yeah that is me,with a pink feather boa and with pouty lips.

It was a saturday night and there was a lot of tequila involved,so don't ask.

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
It may be your e-liquid as you said does not make sense after 8ml of juice one has to change cotton.

I have 3 in rotation now and do not keep track of how often i change the cotton but its certainly more than 2 tank fulls.
I do use a 3mm diameter kanthal coil about 1.03 ohm @12,5 -13w and when re doing the cotton i will pull it through and then grab each end and slide it back and forth a few times then fluff the ends gently and tuck it down into there respective area.

Now to be fair we all have different vape habits i use about 92%PG and about 1% concentrated real cig flavoring 6 -8 % liquid nic the e-liquid is pretty clear .
I often hear on forum high VG content is hard on coils , anything over say 10 % VG gives me to much Flem.

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Well the pressure is on nowo_O
    @Abady , I was using MTL Clapton wire when I got my first of 5 Brunhilde's and I also use Vapefly firebolt cotton(have done for a long time). So I know the wire, the cotton and the tank really well. I now use flat wire. Still firebolt cotton(not pinko_O)
    I vape 30/70 PG/VG. My MTL Brunhilde's are vaped at tootle puffin' 20.1 watts:)
    As far as putting the wick through the coil you want to do it the same as any other coil on an RBA, it sounds like you're doing that ok. If you want any more wicking tips there's a few threads in the Forum here with great info.
    Give your wick a trim so they come roughly past the top o-ring and then fluff the :censored: out of em'.
    You want to really expose as many single little threads on the cotton as possible to make contact with the stainless steel rods.
    Once given a good fluff just lightly plonk the cotton straight on top of the SS rods.
    Those rods don't have a problem at all with wicking.
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I've never had any issues with quick gunking up of the wick, mine always last at least a couple of weeks.

Some other tips may come to mind a little later but I'm not quite fully awake yet, so that be it for now:thumb:
    Any questions at all feel free to ask away:D

Edit: just regarding the SS rods. Make sure they are poking out through deck about 1mm so the cotton can make contact around the top of the rods. I've always found it wicks better if the rods poke up a little:)

Last edited:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    @Abady , I was using MTL Clapton wire when I got my first of 5 Brunhilde's and I also use Vapefly firebolt cotton(have done for a long time). So I know the wire, the cotton and the tank really well. I now use flat wire. Still firebolt cotton(not pinko_O)
    As far as putting the wick through the coil you want to do it the same as any other coil on an RBA, it sounds like you're doing that ok. If you want any more wicking tips there's a few threads in the Forum here with great info.
    Give your wick a trim so they come roughly past the top o-ring and then fluff the :censored: out of em'.
    You want to really expose as many single little threads on the cotton as possible to make contact with the stainless steel rods.
    Once given a good fluff just lightly plonk the cotton straight on top of the SS rods.
    View attachment 894353
    View attachment 894355
    I've never had any issues with quick gunking up of the wick, mine always last at least a couple of weeks.

Some other tips may come to mind a little later but I'm not quite fully awake yet, so that be it for now:thumb:
    Excellent. I bookmarked this. You may get me onto one yet mate! :D
    never say never, lesson learned, haha

Javichu

ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2020
    Spain
    Excellent. I bookmarked this. You may get me onto one yet mate! :D

Not me,i totally disregarded his post since he used your usual garden variety boring and not this season white cotton...it has to be pink or nothing.

P.S. Just kidding,thanks for the info @Daniel Forsyth ,i bookmarked it for further use,perhaps in 2029 when my Brunhilde arrives from China ;)

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Excellent. I bookmarked this. I've been Very keen to get one for a long time now!!! ;)

You definitely won't regret it:w00t:
    Just some info. on the inserts for you and airflow.
    She has the 6 different size inserts. 0.9mm, 1.2mm, 1.4mm, 1.8mm, 2.1mm 2.5mm and you can leave them out and have the inside airflow diameter 3mm.
    The outside airflow is 3.2mm in diameter which is fully adjustable, that's the flavour hole:drool:

And I thought I better change your quote to something more appropriate;)

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    You definitely won't regret it:w00t:
    Just some info. on the inserts for you and airflow.
    She has the 6 different size inserts. 0.9mm, 1.2mm, 1.4mm, 1.8mm, 2.1mm 2.5mm and you can leave them out and have the inside airflow diameter 3mm.
    The outside airflow is 3.2mm in diameter which is fully adjustable, that's the flavour hole:drool:

And I thought I better change your quote to something more appropriate;)
    You sir totally Rock the Planet!!! I'll probably have dreams tonight about a Brunhilde and "I've been Very keen to get one for a long time now!!!". When I get one I am going to buy that figurine I linked over in shiny. The one @Cloud-FF7 said looks like his mother-in-law. Ha. ;) :D

Javichu

ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2020
    Spain
    You sir totally Rock the Planet!!! I'll probably have dreams tonight about a Brunhilde and "I've been Very keen to get one for a long time now!!!". When I get one I am going to buy that figurine I linked over in shiny. The one @Cloud-FF7 said looks like his mother-in-law. Ha. ;) :D

477lbx.jpg

Reactions: Abady

Abady

Jun 25, 2020
    View attachment 894353
    View attachment 894355

Edit: just regarding the SS rods. Make sure they are poking out through deck about 1mm so the cotton can make contact around the top of the rods. I've always found it wicks better if the rods poke up a little:)

Thanks Daniel... This is very useful.... Last night before I changed the cotton I noticed there is no problem with the edges being really saturated with juice... the part inside the coil was a different story though. You also gave me a lot of comfort regarding the SS ropes wicking so now I'm confident about the length of the edges and fluffing them is working perfectly.

I reduced the thickness of the cotton inside the coil by almost half what I used to do and I can say with confidence that it feels perfect... no more poping sounds (maybe just a little super muted pop) and the flavor is even better than it used to be.

Hopefully my problem is now fixed... but let me ask, just in case.... if I see the cotton edges around the coil getting black again... does it still mean the juice is still having a problem getting inside the coil?

Once again thank you... I was thinking maybe the Brunhilde is too complicated for me and I should have started with a more basic design RTA first... to be honest I'm still trying to give myself an excuse to buy a Kayfun lite 2019 just to compare flavors :)

P.S. if anyone has experience with both RTAs... how do you compare the flavor on both?

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Thanks Daniel... This is very useful.... Last night before I changed the cotton I noticed there is no problem with the edges being really saturated with juice... the part inside the coil was a different story though. You also gave me a lot of comfort regarding the SS ropes wicking so now I'm confident about the length of the edges and fluffing them is working perfectly.

I reduced the thickness of the cotton inside the coil by almost half what I used to do and I can say with confidence that it feels perfect... no more poping sounds (maybe just a little super muted pop) and the flavor is even better than it used to be.

Hopefully my problem is now fixed... but let me ask, just in case.... if I see the cotton edges around the coil getting black again... does it still mean the juice is still having a problem getting inside the coil?

Once again thank you... I was thinking maybe the Brunhilde is too complicated for me and I should have started with a more basic design RTA first... to be honest I'm still trying to give myself an excuse to buy a Kayfun lite 2019 just to compare flavors :)

P.S. if anyone has experience with both RTAs... how do you compare the flavor on both?

My pleasure Mate:thumb:
    Hopefully it keeps going well for you and you get much much longer out of your wick.
    Keep me posted on how things go:D
    As far as blacking up of the wick around the edges of the coil it would be very possible that your wick needed a bit more an even fluff or it could come back to your juice.

I've actually found the Brunhilde the easiest RTA I have worked with:)

Abady

Jun 25, 2020
    My pleasure Mate:thumb:
    Hopefully it keeps going well for you and you get much much longer out of your wick.
    Keep me posted on how things go:D
    As far as blacking up of the wick around the edges of the coil it would be very possible that your wick needed a bit more an even fluff or it could come back to your juice.

I've actually found the Brunhilde the easiest RTA I have worked with:)

Many thanks. On my way to finish the first tank and my cotton is spotless. Got my fingers crossed :)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread