Help pick my first e-cig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bossman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Hey everyone!
I've done some reading on e-cigs and decided to take the plunge for my health, my fiance and my kids. Currently, I smoke Marboro Lights/Golds, about a pack/pack 1/2 a day. I think e-cigs are the way to quit smoking analogs after 18 years of smoking. I've tried all the other stuff to no avail, the gum, lozenges, patches, meds, cold turkey.

But wading though all this info is giving me a headache, so here's some of the things I think I'm looking for...

1) Under about $100 for a starter kit, I can add different things later on next month
2) Carts that for now I can just buy and not have to refill, but may give me that option later on
3) Something similar in taste to what I smoke now (lots of "smoke" and hard throat hit aren't as important to me, average "smoke" and a mild hit are fine)
4) Something with decent battery life
5) having something actual "cigarette-size" isn't that important, but I don't want to try and have a flute sized unit in my pocket either

I'll check back after work and do some more reading in the meantime!

Thanks!
PBD

DocWyatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
OK
No question if an analog size is not that important to select an eGO. The ONLY reason to choose a mini is the mental thingy.... For many this can be important, at least initially.

As far as cost, you can get a genuine eGO kit from LiteCigUSA for $55. Well below your cost threshold...

The standard ego battery (650 mah) will last 5-8 hours vaping. You can buy bigger, but i don't find a need for it personally. If 2 ego batteries are not enough, I need to spend money on a psychiatrist - not a bigger battery, lol.

As far as TH, you will want LR atomizers. The juice also makes a HUGE difference in TH. Some have lot, some have little.

Last edited:

brian5470

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2010
Trenton, Ohio, United States
Save yourself a lot of money and fussing with charging batteries every couple hours and go with an ego or Riva. Battery lasts all day and you can find a wide range of option parts for when you want to try something new because it has the ever popular 510 threads for the atomizer.

I bought an health E cigarette at a flea market that was pretty much trash wasted $60 on kit and carts then upgraded to a Joye 510 kit for $50 had to charge and swap batteries every couple hours atleast but they work great then I got a Riva for $30 and its the cats pajamas!

DocWyatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
OK
You sound like a person, (just my guess) that will eventually drip...and punt the cart's. Just a guess...

Carts will last as you refill them. If you want cartomizers, I think 2 boxes (10) would be enough. I believe you are going to want strong hits from a LR atomizer though. So the main thing is to buy those and get juice.

The hits from carto's have less strength, IMO, but more convenient and last far longer. That really is the big difference.

Last edited:

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
eGo.

And even though you don't want to refill, it's cheap to throw in a small bottle of juice, a drip tip, and a couple empty cartridges and cartomizers so you can experiment. (Cheaper too.) That way you'll know what direction to "add on" next month.

I got a two 900 mAh eGo kit. Longevity is great! I am looking at an Inferno kit for some people who are interested because you can charge the smaller battery while you are using it, so that can increase longevity.

Emris

Time Lord
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks for the tips everyone! The eGo was in the top three that I have on my list. How long should a prefilled cart last? I've read anywhere from 5 cigs to a pack and a half. Just wondering if how many carts I need to get with my first order so I'm not running back to analog cigs.

One of the good things about the kits like that is at most places you can get them that have carts with juice or with out! I would recomend finding what juice you like using the carts that come with the kit, once you find something you like, use them in the cartos! that way you are not mixing flavors in the cartos! I had just found out that when using cartos, I am best to stay with a 50/50 PG/VG mix e-juice. To me the higher PG juice doesnt vape well in a carto! More for dripping.

Sainted_S

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Nether Iceland of NWPA
eGo.

And even though you don't want to refill, it's cheap to throw in a small bottle of juice, a drip tip, and a couple empty cartridges and cartomizers so you can experiment. (Cheaper too.) That way you'll know what direction to "add on" next month.

Excellent suggestion.
You will have atty and carts that come with a kit, a drip tip and the cartos will give you a feel for what is the most comfortable way for you to vape.

Honestly I got the eGo and Riva kits and I love the Riva, it also beats my ego in battery life. But I do suggest an extra battery with whatever kit you choose. I do have times where I am down to one charged battery using three in rotation. Actually as I'm speaking I'm down to one of my eGos while the rivas are charging. Not a big deal because I'm at home and have a passthrough, but I never want to give myself that window where I have no charged batteries. When you begin vaping you don't want to find yourself there either because there is the temptation to run out and buy a pack. Cartomizers are very easy to fill with the condom method and I find that standard 510 cartos add to the throat hit.

Remember to buy enough juice or cartos. My experience with cartos is that they only last me 3-4 hours before I have to refill them. Most people say that they go through about 3ml a day. My usage is substantially more. I tend to switch flavors all day long, but I will still use at least 4ml of my main vape in addition to that.

mikev

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2010
Maple Grove, Minnesota
Hi PBDragon, and welcome to ECF :) I will echo the advice here and say get an eGo, I poured over this site endlessly before I purchased my first PV (a 510) which fantastically for me never had another analog since it arrived, been over 7 months now!!... I got my eGo about a month ago or so and it is SO much better, swapping out the Batts on the 510 gets old really fast LOL, but it was a good intro to vaping for me. as far as juice and carts? I hated the pre-filled stuff... so I bought juice and empty carts right off the bat and liked it... now I drip almost exclusively and LOVE it, though I am thinking of trying some 510 cartomizers, have been hearing good things about them.

Glad you're taking the 1st step to vaping, I firmly believe in it I smoked for over 30 years... never thought I'd be able to quit analogs. There is a definite learning curve to this stuff though, just stick with it and come here to look for any kind of advice you need the people here are GREAT!

Bossman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Thanks everyone!

I think I've decided on the EGO. But I do have a few more questions before I can place my order...

1) Is e-liquid a mixture of the nicotine, water, VG or PG and flavoring?

2) Does a drip tip just attach to the atty or do I need some other piece in there?

3) Is the difference between a cartomizer and a blank cartridge the atty part?

4) Is it easier to drip or refill blank cartridges?

DocWyatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
OK
1. Eliquid is PG or VG or a blend, your choice. Generally pre-filled are PG. (plus flavoring, of course)

3. Cartomizer = atomizer and cartridge in 1 piece

I don't drip, so others can answer the other 2 better than I.

The difference you will find out quickly is the atty/cart combo doesn't last long before having to top it off. Many people punt those day one and use carto's. Many others prefer the atty/cart combo because the hit is stronger.

Also, if you are going to get the EGO I strongly recommend getting LR atomizers with it. They give a stronger hit...

Last edited:

Sainted_S

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Nether Iceland of NWPA
1) Is e-liquid a mixture of the nicotine, water, VG or PG and flavoring?
Yes, can choose how much nicotine, VG and/or PG to have in your ejuice. The flavoring is usually added by suppliers but many offer double and triple shots. If you order flavoring that is too strong you can dilute the ejuice with VG or PG, but this will also decrease the nicotine content.

2) Does a drip tip just attach to the atty or do I need some other piece in there?
A drip tip fits snugly on the end of the atomizer, there is no other piece you need to buy to drip.

3) Is the difference between a cartomizer and a blank cartridge the atty part?

Yes, a cartomizer has an atty built inside and is housed in one unit. You can fill the cartomizer up by different methods and some come prefilled (though I have heard prefilled are not the,,,tastiest way to vape), the cartridge is a piece that fits inside the atomizer and has filler that the juice is held in.

4) Is it easier to drip or refill blank cartridges?
[/QUOTE]
It is easier to drip, but it is all personal preference, some people prefer cartomizers (which I feel gives a stronger hit), atty and carts, and drip tips. I use drip tips at times, but I have found for myself I like the carts and atty. The beauty is that you can find what works for you.

DirtyLefty

Oct 7, 2010
hartford, ct
I started with a mini (njoy npro duo), and was immediately ready to convert. It really does help with the conversion phase because of look/feel. The startup kits are $20 at 7-11 in connecticut. You may have them nearby and if you call njoy they can tell you where to get them. Just make sure you specify that it's the cheapo kit that they sell at 7-11.

That said, paying $5 per prefilled cartomizer and having tiny battery life was not sufficient. I made the jump to en eGo and was happy with it. I ended up using a Box Mod, but I still puff the eGos once in a while when I want to try a new flavor in a cartomizer or just feel like holding something shaped like a cigarette (usually while I read the paper or drive).

Given the price difference between the 510 and the eGo, the eGo is -definitely- more convenient. The battery life is very, very good.. and ultimately having a charged e-cig with a cart/carto/drip ready to go is what's going to make the difference when you get the urge for nicotine (provided you still keep analogs around, I banished mine after i made the solid decision to quit).

Setting goals and keeping them is manly, and setting the goal to quit and keeping it - even if there's some inconvenience involved WILL make you feel like a better man. Trust me. :)

deback

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Michigan
And here's my normal post:

Get a Joye (short for Joyetech) eGo kit (either 650mAh, 750mAh, 900mAh, 1000mAh, or 1300mAh -- the higher the mAh, the longer the length of the battery and the longer the battery will last before needing to be recharged) -- or a Riva or Tornado kit (which are generic eGos).

The battery life will be your first concern (at some point in your vaping experience, if not already). After a few days of charging batteries all day long, you won't care what the PV (personal vaporizer) looks like.

The eGo battery is the most popular and has the longest life of any of the standard e-cigs available currently (before needing to be recharged).

Check out the following sites for prices and availability. Look for a starter kit that's priced around $30 to $65. Ask here if you have more questions. Read more threads in the Newbie Section here. A lot of people have given advice to a lot of newbies with the same questions.

liberty-flights.com (California)
goodprophets.com (Pennsylvania)
madvapes.com (North Carolina)
litecigusa.net (Pennsylvania)
cignot.com (Illinois)

Length of the eGo batteries (without the cartridge or cartomizer screwed on and with no drip tip):

1300 - 4 3/4"
1000 - 3 3/4"
900 - 3 3/8"
750 - 3" my estimate
650 - 2 3/4"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread