Help please: Smok 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIM Kong

Aug 18, 2019
I know this has become the big "duh" question, but I can't find my exact situation on any thread. So my vape juice has a harsh throat hits after a couple hits. I am using the same juice that I have for months. I have did all the basic trouble shooting with no luck. Weird thing is, if I unscrew the mouthpiece and screw it back on, it taste perfect again for about 3 or 4 hits. Any ideas??

KIM Kong

Aug 18, 2019
Maybe put a fresh coil/pod on?Did you had a burned hit?
Thank you for replying,
I have tried two
Welcome to ECF, KIM Kong. Describe all your hardware and software in use, and I'm sure you'll get lots of helpful suggestions.
Thank you,
I am using a Smok 22 with .30 resistance. I am a new vaper about 2 months now, so that's as far as my knowledge goes. I have changed the coil and gasket. I have to take the mouthpiece of after every three hits or the fourth hit will deliver s really harsh throat hit with no flavor. Same juice for two months American Patriot by Naked. Any chance it's the device that's malfunctioning?

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Reactions: greek mule

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
I have to take the mouthpiece of after every three hits or the fourth hit will deliver s really harsh throat hit with no flavor.
You are using high VG juice and every time you take of the top cap I think,the difference from atmospheric pressure helps juice to flow more efficiently for a while.
ETA: I don't know what VG ratio these coils can handle but it will help if you suck a little harder.

Last edited:

KIM Kong

Aug 18, 2019

KIM Kong

Aug 18, 2019
You are using high VG juice and every time you take of the top cap I think,the difference from atmospheric pressure helps juice to flow more efficiently for a while.
ETA: I don't know what VG ratio these coils can handle but it will help if you suck a little harder.
Wow I think you are right. I am off from work now and had a little time to observe the coil using a flashlight. I wait one minute in between pulls. Every time I puff the coil is getting drier. I waited 5 minutes and inside of the coil was still bone dry. Waited another minute and took the top off. The coil immediately got wet without me puffing. Repeated the exact same steps with the same results. Is this a bad coil? If so the whole 5 pack must be bad because I have already tried 2. I am going to try the 3rd coil out of this pack and post an update tomorrow.
Thank you

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I know this has become the big "duh" question, but I can't find my exact situation on any thread. So my vape juice has a harsh throat hits after a couple hits. I am using the same juice that I have for months. I have did all the basic trouble shooting with no luck. Weird thing is, if I unscrew the mouthpiece and screw it back on, it taste perfect again for about 3 or 4 hits. Any ideas??

If I go over something you've already tried, please forgive me. I do not know what you already know.

The harsh throat hit with no flavor is an indicator of a dry hit. that is essentially when juice doesn't get to the coils. First off, if you take too many dry hits on the same coil, that coil becomes useless, since it will singe the cotton, and it won't be able to wick as good. If you've already had a few dry hits on the same coil, and it's not keeping up, then chances are, that is what's happening. Over time though, when a coil gets old, it is just simply time to replace it.

Now, the question to answer, is what caused it to get a dry hit in the first place. Ejuice is mainliy consisted of flavoring, nicotine, Propylene Glycol(PG), and Vegetable Glycerine(VG). The main two substances that affect the wicking, is the VG and PG.. which usually makes up a good portion of the juice. VG helps provide a larger cloud and has a smoother hit, but does not carry the flavor as much as PG. VG, however, is thicker, like vegetable oil, and takes longer to wick. PG, on the other hand, is a more water like consistency, has a harsher throat hit, and doesn't produce as much vapor... but because it has the consistency of water, it wicks easier. Take a look at your juice and see if it tells you the PG/VG ratio. If it has more VG than PG, then chances are, the atomizer has a hard time wicking the juice. The only thing you can do, is to poke a hole with a safety pin into the cotton sides to help the juice wick easier. A temporary fix to see if it is a wicking issue, is to put your finger over the air intake to block the air and take a few short puffs without the power. This move forces juice into your coil. I recommend doing this at the first hint of a dry hit.

I also recommend starting from scratch as far as the coils go. When you get a new coil, prime the coil. That means you put juice all over the cotton and coils until they are saturated.

This is a video with a very similar coil.

Hope that helps.

vicsch

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2019
Thank you for replying,
I have tried two

Thank you,
I am using a Smok 22 with .30 resistance. I am a new vaper about 2 months now, so that's as far as my knowledge goes. I have changed the coil and gasket. I have to take the mouthpiece of after every three hits or the fourth hit will deliver s really harsh throat hit with no flavor. Same juice for two months American Patriot by Naked. Any chance it's the device that's malfunctioning?
Welcome Kim if I can help u I will & would but think I'll leave this one for the knowledgeable - guys !! ✌ good luck & hope-u-stay-nasty-cig-free !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread