Help with a battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peim

Oct 14, 2018
Hi I recently dropped my 18650 Sony VTC6 battery and it created a very tiny dent. I was wondering if it was still safe to use it?
Here’s a pic:

Attachments

• BA5EA00E-B331-48E4-A664-5D63DF81BB11.jpeg
    BA5EA00E-B331-48E4-A664-5D63DF81BB11.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: Llamasquito

ExtremeDooty

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2017
Michigan
If that was my battery, I probably wouldn't have noticed that little dent and would be using it. However, I'm not a battery guy, but I do know batteries can be dangerous if abused. If you can wait, one of the battery experts, @Baditude @Mooch should be along shortly to give you a more informed opinion.
And Welcome aboard.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm in agreement with @ExtremeDooty , I probably would not have noticed that tiny dent (on the side of the can?). But many other people would say that any defect in a battery should not be acceptable, especially if you're aware of actually dropping it.

You see, you can never know what or how much damage is done because almost all the important "stuff" of the battery is inside the metal can that you can't "see". I know Mooch often says a battery should be maintained to look like it is brand new. Any tears or holes in the insulative wrap surrounding the can or top insulator ring needs to be replaced with new wrap or loop, or the battery should be recycled.

You did good to ask here on the forum, and posting a pic of the battery was helpful. IMHO, your case falls into a grey area of what's the right thing to do? For the inexpensive price of a new $6 battery, you have to ask yourself should I get a new battery to be safer, or risk using a possibly damaged battery that may cause me bodily harm or property damage to my home? So whenever you are in doubt, the best policy should probably be replace the battery.

Last edited:

Swoop03

Vaping Yinzer
Sep 28, 2018
Southwest PA, USA, Earth
I just retired a damn near new joy 20700, dropped it the other day putting it into my pulse 80w. Put a nice dent in it and bulged out the negative end and tore the wrapping a good bit there. I didn't even notice the dent until I bought some wraps for it and went to re do it. I don't trust it now so I guess I'll have to replace it.

With something that can be as volatile as a lithium battery, if you're unsure dont use it. I value my face more than a few bucks for a battery lol.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That dent may not phase most vapers, to be totally frank. It's not exactly large. With that said, I'm not going to advise someone to do something based on my own willingness to accept risk or not and it is most certainly true that more damage can be done internally than is visible.

I do find that if I am sitting there staring at a battery going "Is this safe" for whatever reason, it probably is an issue (for me) and for my own comfort and those of others, I just replace it.

LOL my own pet peeve is battery heat. As the husband was staring vaping he would leave his gear out in the sun all the time in summer, in Tucson. To be fair, probably the same case could be made that using power tools in very hot weather is unsafe, and he does that all the time.

But there I would be, cackling at him at thermal runaway, and explosions and all sorts of stuff, which were probably Rather Unlikely. But we all have our "things" about batteries, and as long as you are mindful of general safe practice and if you are unsure.... JUST RETIRE IT. For the price of a 6 or 7 dollar battery even a 10 dollar one, it's worth it for the extra safety and just OVERALL peace of mind. Plus then you don't have to think about it anymore, etc.

Good luck,

Anna

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Battery dented, bin it and get a new one.

While I agree with the sentiment, I just want to add that you should never literally bin a battery. They contain lots of dangerous and nasty stuff and should always be recycled (after covering both ends with electrical tape).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread