Help with Cobra, perfect coil & mesh, flavor muted

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFDF

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2012
United States
DFDF...have you tried using a hybrid SS Mesh/Cotton wick? It might help you out. I love it. I set it up with the Petar K method. Check out this link.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/363175-petar-k-method-hybrid-wick.html

I have not, but if I go that route Ill just go back to an all silica or cotton wick.

Still getting great vapor hits, ultra smooth and throat hit is adjustable via air cap hole but muted flavor. I think I may just be spoiled from 306 and HH 357's.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
I have not, but if I go that route Ill just go back to an all silica or cotton wick.

Still getting great vapor hits, ultra smooth and throat hit is adjustable via air cap hole but muted flavor. I think I may just be spoiled from 306 and HH 357's.

If otherwise everything is set up correctly and you have muted flavor...it comes from micro shorts. The very thin layer of cotton used will insulate against that. It literally takes one minute to convert a ss mesh wick to a hybrid wick. It might be worth trying....you can always take the cotton off if you don't like it.

LISARENE2U

Aug 7, 2012
CA
I am having a problem with my cobra that I haven't seen mentioned on here. I have only had it about a month and a half. I think I have got the wick and coils down ok, But, I put the juice in, it is good for maybe a half hour and then I start getting this black drainage into the tank and pretty soon the flavor is hardly there. It does not taste burnt. Within about an hour, all the juice which was honey colored is now very dark brown to black. The juice is 70/30. Ohms 1.3 volts 2.9 on Provari. I have tried with higher settings too, this is just what the coil came out to this time. Any thoughts?

Kamoch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2012
La Mirada, CA
I am having a problem with my cobra that I haven't seen mentioned on here. I have only had it about a month and a half. I think I have got the wick and coils down ok, But, I put the juice in, it is good for maybe a half hour and then I start getting this black drainage into the tank and pretty soon the flavor is hardly there. It does not taste burnt. Within about an hour, all the juice which was honey colored is now very dark brown to black. The juice is 70/30. Ohms 1.3 volts 2.9 on Provari. I have tried with higher settings too, this is just what the coil came out to this time. Any thoughts?

I too had this problem with my Cobra although it started happening after about 2 months. I remember reading another thread about this problem and someone suggested using the Petar K method ( torching/ no oxidizing or quenching) so I torched a 40 x 60mm piece of 400 mesh over my stove (just the top part. Not the part that sits in the tank) did a couple of juice burns and the problem disappeared. I'm vaping ecto plasma from juicy vapor on the same wick/coil setup for about 3 weeks now and mu juice is still clear. To the OP, I also found that thicker wire really brought out the flavor on all of my gennies, I have 6/5 wraps of 28 awg Kanthal on every one at the moment.

Ansah

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2012
USA
I've had my Cobra for a couple of days and have gone through several wick and coil trials (500 SS & 32ga kanthal).

I'm getting to where it's pretty easy to get the coils to glow evenly without the dreaded top hotspot, but the draw seems really tight, and the flavor is inconsistent. A couple of times I've taken a vape and thought, "perfect", but then it seems to have trouble wicking again... Mainly I dislike the tight draw. Maybe I have it setup OK and just don't much care for Genesis atomizers. I don't know. I could drill out the air hole, I suppose, but something about modding a $152 atomizer makes me recoil.

I'm going to continue to work with the wicks whenever I'm in the mood and have time, but for now at least my much less expensive Drunker, Vivi Novas and carto tanks all vape much better.

EDIT: And plus I was able to get the AGA-T+ vaping really well too, using the same mesh and wire, so I don't know what it is between me and the Cobra. The T+ is airy enough even with the fill hole locked.

Last edited:

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
When I got my cobra the draw was incredibly tight....I remembered some one had the same problem and he suggested to put a needle in the air hole and push the needle in all the way and spin it a little. Ever since I did that the draw on the cobra is excellent. You might have a semi- obstructed air hole...like I did. If you try that and it doesn't make a difference...try instead of aligning the wick perfectly with the wick...turn the cap so the air hole is a few millimeters off the wick...this should make the draw a little less tight.

With the tighter draw of the cobra you also have much better flavor and warmer vapor compared to other gennys. Most people get used to it very quickly.

Ansah

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2012
USA
...suggested to put a needle in the air hole and push the needle in all the way and spin it a little. Ever since I did that the draw on the cobra is excellent. You might have a semi- obstructed air hole...like I did.

Wow! This comment was a super, major help. I did as you suggested and sure enough, the hole must have been obstructed, because the difference is dramatic, and I'm excited to have the Cobra again instead of wishing I hadn't spent the money. Thank you!

Maconi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2010
Lexington KY
I've had my Cobra for a couple of days and have gone through several wick and coil trials (500 SS & 32ga kanthal).

I'm getting to where it's pretty easy to get the coils to glow evenly without the dreaded top hotspot, but the draw seems really tight, and the flavor is inconsistent. A couple of times I've taken a vape and thought, "perfect", but then it seems to have trouble wicking again... Mainly I dislike the tight draw. Maybe I have it setup OK and just don't much care for Genesis atomizers. I don't know. I could drill out the air hole, I suppose, but something about modding a $152 atomizer makes me recoil.

I'm going to continue to work with the wicks whenever I'm in the mood and have time, but for now at least my much less expensive Drunker, Vivi Novas and carto tanks all vape much better.

EDIT: And plus I was able to get the AGA-T+ vaping really well too, using the same mesh and wire, so I don't know what it is between me and the Cobra. The T+ is airy enough even with the fill hole locked.

When I got my cobra the draw was incredibly tight....I remembered some one had the same problem and he suggested to put a needle in the air hole and push the needle in all the way and spin it a little. Ever since I did that the draw on the cobra is excellent. You might have a semi- obstructed air hole...like I did. If you try that and it doesn't make a difference...try instead of aligning the wick perfectly with the wick...turn the cap so the air hole is a few millimeters off the wick...this should make the draw a little less tight.

With the tighter draw of the cobra you also have much better flavor and warmer vapor compared to other gennys. Most people get used to it very quickly.

Wow! This comment was a super, major help. I did as you suggested and sure enough, the hole must have been obstructed, because the difference is dramatic, and I'm excited to have the Cobra again instead of wishing I hadn't spent the money. Thank you!

The Cobra is supposed to have a 1mm air hole (to my knowledge). Mine was very slightly under (between 0.95mm and 1mm). I drilled it with a 1mm bit to fix the draw on mine. It does make a huge (positive) difference. Good to know that it could have been done without power tools but it's always fun finding an excuse to use them. :) lol

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009

Glad to help...I was the same way...I went from thinking it was the biggest waste of money to the Cobra being by far my favorite Genny. THe only problem with it is that once you get used to it you can't vape anything else.

Ansah

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2012
USA
The Cobra is supposed to have a 1mm air hole (to my knowledge). Mine was very slightly under (between 0.95mm and 1mm). I drilled it with a 1mm bit to fix the draw on mine. It does make a huge (positive) difference. Good to know that it could have been done without power tools but it's always fun finding an excuse to use them. :) lol

I'm vaping the Cobra now and, to recycle the oft used refrain around here: It's vaping like a train!

And I had been resigned to just set it aside and forget it for a while when I read Edo's insight about the air hole. I don't own a drill, but can you really get a 1mm hole with a 1mm drill bit? Wouldn't you end up with something larger? I'm afraid I'd just gouge it out and ruin it or something, but thankfully, now I don't have to think about that. I have a tool chest full of small tools for doing things like taking laptops apart, but power tools aren't my scene. Glad it worked for you.

Last edited:

Ansah

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2012
USA
Glad to help...I was the same way...I went from thinking it was the biggest waste of money to the Cobra being by far my favorite Genny.

This is happing to me right now. Not that I own any other authentic, high dollar RBAs. But the build quality is superb, so it's nice to know that it actually works, too. LOL. I think the Cobra will be my at home vape, and I'll use the apparently leak-proof Drunker Tank on the road. Thanks again man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread